Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-03, 01:06 PM   #49
VMUNIX

Send a message via ICQ to VMUNIX

I'm not sure if I can disable the ACPI from the BIOS, but I remember there are different "modes" of ACPI (S-1|S-3 etc) I hate trial&error.

There are tons of how-to's about kernel upgrading and configuring, even in the source directory are READMEs for that. it's not hard at all.
VMUNIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 02:15 PM   #50
DrCode

You don't need to recompile your kernel. Just add "acpi=off" to the end of your kernel line in 'grub.conf' or 'lilo.conf'.
DrCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 02:16 PM   #51
pdavid

<sigh of relief> Thanks for that.
Old 10-11-03, 12:52 PM   #52
billdiamond

I have had a very similar experience to most of you here. I also have an Athlon XP 1800+ CPU, and on the VIA KT266 system. I have tried both Red Hat 9.0 andMandrake 9.1 on this system, and neither was stable. The symptoms are familiar to all, I am sure: most repeatably, whenever I'd launch a web browser, the system would do a fatal lockup after connecting to an external web site.

I did a complete blow-away, repartition and virgin install of Red Hat 9 yeterday with the stock kernel and successfully installed the nvidia drivers. Dmesg and the logs show no anomalies, except one:

There seems to be some conflict with the VIA's on board IDE controller causing drive timeouts during initialization.

Following the suggestion of several people, I went into the BIOS and stepped down from 4x AGP to 2X. For the first time, I can surf the web and download.

I'm not blaming nVidia here, but I do suspect there's a latent BIOS conflict in the memory addresses reservered by the VIA on board IDE controller and the memory address range used nVidia with the GeForce FX series.

I'll try getting the latest BIOS upgrade, which is about US$39 to see if that corrects the problem.

Regards,
Bill
billdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-03, 11:45 AM   #53
pdavid

hi bill,

glad it worked out for you! i am still trying a few different things, and will shortly try turning off the acpi in lilo.conf to see if perhaps that will help my situation.

for now i too am still running in 2x agp (and am very sore about it, though at least i am finally up and running with a few games). the only bad thing is that the next generation of games will be out soon, and i have a bad feeling that my brand new 5600ultra will soon be performing relative to my old onboard graphics driver when i first got quake 3. this really should not be the case.

well, time to get a new NON-via chipset mobo i suppose...

btw bill, which bios is costing you money? for your mobo? i was under the impression that you could dl your bios for free? (that is the case for my abit...)
Old 10-12-03, 12:42 PM   #54
pdavid

i tried adding acpi=off to my kernel parameters in lilo.conf. my question now is, is there some way to see if this is what actually happened? i only ask because I have a couple of lines in dmesg that produce this:

Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 hdc=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/
ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi

the odd thing is this.
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.16)

no way to turn off apm or acpi in the bios...

but, for some reason I am running 4x agp at the moment!

I havent tried rebooting yet to see if it still works, but if it does, i will post back the things i have tried...
Old 10-12-03, 12:45 PM   #55
pdavid

the output from cat /proc/driver/nvidia/card host-bridge and status

[root@mother-linux agp]# cat card
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
Registers: 0x1f000217:0x1f000104
[root@mother-linux agp]# cat host-bridge
Host Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133]
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
Registers: 0x1f000217:0x00000104
[root@mother-linux agp]# cat status
Driver: AGPGART
AGP Rate: 4x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Disabled

any reason fast writes and sba are disabled? and look -> 4x! wooohooo
Old 10-12-03, 01:25 PM   #56
billdiamond

Default BIOS Upgrades etc

pDavid,
eSupport sells a BIOS upgrade for AMI and AWARD BIOS for the KT series but it's much more than a typical BIOS upgrade.

This one allows you to install drives up to 137 GB, adds support for the Athon XP 3200+ CPUs, and increases IO speed on the bus. They also claim to improve AGP performance.

Any thoughts? http://www.esupport.com

Bill

Old 10-12-03, 02:05 PM   #57
pdavid

i had never seen that before for the bios upgrades, I have always just used the bios released by the mobo manufacturer...
let me know how it goes if you try it!

after my earlier posts, i have yet again run int othe machine locking up. i get SO ANGRY every time this happens. i am about ready to return this card and stick my old geforce2pro back in here. at least that card ran at 4x agp!

So i am back at 2x agp until another solution presents itself that works... i tried adding acip=off in the lilo.conf, but i dont know how to see if this does in fact work. i have NO way of turning off acpi or apm in the bios

I alos cannot find out how to stop the apm daemon from running either. cant kill it for some reason...

out of curiosity, does ANYONE know if someone running an abit kt7a has managed to get the fx cards working correctly at all?
Old 10-12-03, 03:15 PM   #58
billdiamond

I know this sounds little wonky - but have you tried removing any card in PCI slot 1? It shares an IRQ with the AGP slot, and it might be part of hte problem. Likewise, a soundblaster card and a network adapter shouldn't be in paired slots, either.

Being in 2x mode isn't fabulous, but it's good enough to get Wine to work so that I can play EverQuest. I can't really complain. It's far better than I've had it working before.

Bill
Old 10-23-03, 12:28 AM   #59
mjj

>i tried adding acip=off in the lilo.conf, but i >dont know how to see if this does in fact work.

To see the command line that the kernel used when it booted, try this ...

cat /proc/cmdline

It should read "acpi=off" (not "acip=off" by the way) in there somewhere, separated by whitespace.

>I alos cannot find out how to stop the apm >daemon from running either.

Usually, under redhat, use either

chkconfig --del apmd

or

chkconfig apmd off

Cheers!
Murray...
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 07:58 AM   #60
pdavid

thanks mjj! I already had the acpi=off in my command line, so i suppose that part is okay. i guess later today i can try the apm daemon, i'll get back to say how it goes...