Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-26-03, 02:59 PM   #61
capstone737

Default SiS chipset motherboards...

I have just read a snippet that mentioned that SiS chipset motherboards may contribute to system lockup problems with Nvidia Linux drivers. I am using an ASUS SiS chipset motherboard so this rings true for me. What are others using?

Capstone737
capstone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-03, 08:07 PM   #62
VMUNIX

Send a message via ICQ to VMUNIX

EPOX 8K9A9I it has the KT400A + 8235 AGPset (AGP 8X)
333Mhz FSB with DDR-400 support.

the CPU is Athlon XP2000+ with 266Mhz FSB

The card is a Gainward GF-4 MX440 128Mb DDR AGP 8X,
which seems to run fine in my old Soyo 5EHM & K6-2 500Mhz, this mobo has AGP 2X and I'm using the 4496 drivers and RedHat 9 .
VMUNIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 10:07 AM   #63
guill

I'm one more having the same problem: semi-random display lockups (only mouse working in froze screen, unique solution - reboot), eventhought have different soft and hardware components: GeForce2MX, RH8-KDE,Pentium4 1.5GHz, 256RAM, Mobo GA-8IDX3 Series(intel 845 AGPset)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
guill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 10:11 AM   #64
pdavid

As noted earlier in this thread, it might behoove us to fire off these problems in email to nvidia, if you havent already done so. You can even find the other post I made where we are only adding our system specs, and problem, to better allow nvidia to reference what we are facing here.

Hopefully a resolution will present itself soon. As for me, I am thinking of upgrading my mobo soon anyway, but would still like to see a fix for these problems...
Old 10-27-03, 05:18 PM   #65
mjj

For an exercise people, when your screen locks, with mouse cursor still moving, but the X server consuming 100% of the cpu, log into the computer over the network and run an strace on the X server process.

When I do this on mine, the only activity is the continual receipt of a signal - which may explain the 100% cpu usage. It looks like a condition is occuring which causes a signal, but the handler returns without doing something to prevent re-occurence of that signal, so it simply jumps straight back into the signal handler again.

Don't know enough about how the X server works to understand why the cursor still moves - although I vaguely remember seeing different activity in the strace when I moved the mouse - probably other events are still being handled in the signal handler - just not the one that would prevent the hang.

It might be interesting to connect gdb to the X server process too, because strace doesn't give enough information to tell whats going on - but that requires time, and usually a debuggable X server, though even using the standard X server binary might give a clue as to which signal is killing the server.

Or it may be that this is normal signal activity for the X server - it may just look like a lot because it is streaming to the screen. I suppose a signal every few hundred milliseconds wouldn't be too bad considering what the X server does. Getting strace to report the time diff between system calls should answer this question (but I didn't think of that at the time).

Anyway, more information like this couldn't hurt, could it? Cheers!

Murray...
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-03, 03:29 PM   #66
capstone737

Default I've reached the end...

It's just about over for me now.

My RH9 PC is locking up 1-2 times per day and has become "unreliable" - unheard of in Linux circles! ;-)

I have sent a few emails to the nVidia support address but they've never responded so I can only assume that they just don't care. Making too much money from Windows I guess.

I can use my FX5600 in another Windows PC and I'll go back to something that has better Linux support.

I'll still keep in touch with the situation, but I just have too much work to do to wait in hope for a fix to magically appear.

The most annoying thing is that nVidia has a reputation for offering good Linux support, but from what I have seen their support is hopeless. You can't even get a response out of them.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 10-29-03, 03:50 PM   #67
pdavid

did you also try to turn down your agp speed? i know that running at 2x is what did the trick for me (though it still burns me up that i cannot get 4x out of it).

perhaps try that before giving up on it?
Old 10-30-03, 07:38 AM   #68
troc

Send a message via AIM to troc

ditto what capstone737 said. I sent them an email aswell. I never got anything out of it. I didn't even get an automated confirmation that it was recieved, or a reference number.

Ever since I bought my GF2MX, I have had lockup probs, don't matter if I have stock kernels or custom ones whcih the support only the hardware that I use. APM, ACPI, hi-mem, APIC and the framebuffer extensions have all been included or excluded at one point or antoher. In most recent kernels 2.4.18 - 2.4.22 they all lock up one way or another when nvidia (mx and gf2 ultra) and opengl meet. If it aint a system lockup, then it is a keyboard lockup. And if it aint that then it is a mouse and keyboard lockup.

I work in *nix, I like it, and nvidia +2d is stable.

I like to play games too. But its getting to the point where the games are getting so intense that a lockup or frozen kb + mouse is just too much to handle.

Also I miss my beautifull *nix screensavers. (yah yah yah I know get rid of the opengl ones.).

Why should I upgrade to another nvidia card when my 3d accelerated experience has been so poor ?
troc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-03, 07:51 AM   #69
VMUNIX

Send a message via ICQ to VMUNIX

I'm going to try Suse 9.0 professional, to see what happens and I'll post the results here, I'm going to use exactly the same hardware.
VMUNIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-03, 08:43 PM   #70
capstone737

Default An extension granted...

I posed a message the other day entitled "I've reached the end...".

That was certainly the case as I have lost so much time and work over this. However, based upon pdavid's suggestion to lower the AGP speed, I have entered the BIOS setup and done just this: from 8x to 4x. I decided to leave it over the weekeend to see if it locked up again, with the promise of replacing the card if it did.

As I never turn my PC off it is easy to see when it has locked up, but since I made the change, it hasn't missed a beat!!

A few thoughts about this.

1. Why didn't nVidia reply to ANY of my emails. Customer service (read: satisfaction) is clearly not a priority with them.

2. The FX5600 is an 8x AGP card, designed and marketed as a games gard, and yet with Linux I am forced to use it in 4x mode? This seems to be clearly a driver issue. Goto point #1.

So I am somewhat frustrated, but relieved that I don't have to waste any more time sourcing and installing new hardware.

I'll continue to monitor this list and if my situation changes I'll let you know.

Thank you for your suggstion pdavid.

Kind regards,
Grant
Old 11-03-03, 08:32 AM   #71
pdavid

capstone737: Imagine my consternation at having to run at 2X AGP! BTW, which mobo is it you are running?
Old 11-03-03, 01:17 PM   #72
capstone737

Default Motherboard...

It's an ASUS P4S800 with P4 2.6/800 HT. And it STILL hasn't locked up!

# uptime
05:13:42 up 4 days, 7:44, 12 users, load average: 0.19, 0.10, 0.03

Cheers,
Grant