Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-02-03, 01:54 AM   #13
mikechai
Aegophile

Default Re: Re: Re: Anand posts Initial HL2 results with new Dets

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
The fact that Nvidia in their official response to valve a couple weeks ago stated plainly that they would replace PS2.0 with PS 1.4 wherever they felt it was "Ok".

Meaning I gurantee you that even this "Mixed mode" test Nvidia is doing Specific per level application detection and completely replacing the games code with DX8 stuff. Meaning even replacing Valves own Shaders that they customized for Nvidia themselves.

It means that it is flatly not DX9 Vs DX9 at all. It is DX8 being Reported as DX9 "mixed mode". True "Mixed mode" is still DX9 it just uses FP16. This is clearly not whats happening here.

This my Friends is outright Fraud.
Agree with that part. It will definitely not an apple to apple comparison anymore.
I think ATI will have an edge on image quality no matter how good the "automatic shader replacement" is.
We just have to put that in mind when we read any reviews.

But if the new Dets able to put up that kind of score even in mixed mode or partial precision or whatever, they have already done a great job.
Then FX card owners will still have a great gaming experience with HL2.
Old 10-02-03, 01:55 AM   #14
Ruined

Let's wait and see the final product before going on a witchhunt. These are very positive numbers, however.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 02:00 AM   #15
AthlonXP1800

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp
its still lower iq, and probably even lower iq since these cheating drivers, not to mention it still gets owned by 30fps in techdemo 5

when is punkbuster gonna detect driver cheats??
It did not mentioned which driver it used, I think it probably use the latest 52.14 driver, it has better IQ than before in beta 51.75 with lower IQ.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 02:05 AM   #16
Hellbinder

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Anand posts Initial HL2 results with new Dets

Quote:
Originally posted by mikechai
Agree with that part. It will definitely not an apple to apple comparison anymore.
I think ATI will have an edge on image quality no matter how good the "automatic shader replacement" is.
We just have to put that in mind when we read any reviews.

But if the new Dets able to put up that kind of score even in mixed mode or partial precision or whatever, they have already done a great job.
Then FX card owners will still have a great gaming experience with HL2.
I dont think you understand. We are not talkng about an "Edge in IQ" here. This means no HDR support, and many of the effects simply wont even be close to the same.

I have to be honest it really bugs me that people simply do not understand the nature of whats going on. Because it means that Nvidia is likely to get away with it. This is not a true representation of "Mixed-Mode". Mixed mode is FP16/FP32 and is fully DX9. Valves shaders were already completely optomized in this way for the entire FX line. This is obviously a complete Replacement of the games code as Nvidia sees fit to get their numbers up.

What if ATi Suddenly stopped rendering half the effects and reduced some Quality and gained 30FPS over what they have now. Would you guys all sit around here and Applaud ATi.. patting them on the back and Cheering for what an amazing job the Driver team did???

Yet the line of people are already forming to congradulate Nvidia as heros for doing Exactly That.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]

Last edited by Hellbinder; 10-02-03 at 02:30 AM.
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 02:12 AM   #17
Hellbinder

Quote:
Originally posted by AthlonXP1800
It did not mentioned which driver it used, I think it probably use the latest 52.14 driver, it has better IQ than before in beta 51.75 with lower IQ.
Anand makes around 4 comments in his review regarding image Quality "issues". which he refused to go into. But in each case it was a benchmark where Nvidia had gained considerable ground.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]

Last edited by Hellbinder; 10-02-03 at 02:29 AM.
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 03:05 AM   #18
StealthHawk

Wow, I applaud NVIDIA's clairvoyant driver team. After the drivers are optimized NVIDIA's scores in benchmarks are always at the same level as ATI's. Amazing, isn't it? It's just one big coincidence after coincidence
Old 10-02-03, 03:19 AM   #19
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Wow, I applaud NVIDIA's clairvoyant driver team. After the drivers are optimized NVIDIA's scores in benchmarks are always at the same level as ATI's. Amazing, isn't it? It's just one big coincidence after coincidence
LOL! Why stop there? Why not make their drivers give twice the frame rate of ATI's cards? That would be something!
Old 10-02-03, 03:21 AM   #20
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
LOL! Why stop there? Why not make their drivers give twice the frame rate of ATI's cards? That would be something!
Then that would make it even more obvious! Actually, no, it wouldn't. It's obvious enough already

Old 10-02-03, 04:35 AM   #21
jimbob0i0
ATI Geek

Send a message via ICQ to jimbob0i0 Send a message via Yahoo to jimbob0i0

hehe I can't wait till the det 50's are released... hopefully they will coincide with the HL2 benchmark and cat 3.8's

/side note... I personally think that HL2 benchmark will be made avaliable for download/steam on October 8th to coincide with cat 3.8's and the first set of people receiving their 9800XT's/

I want to see IQ comparisons.... but more importantly I want the det 50's to be run in 'full DX9 mode' 'mixed mode DX9' and 'DX8 mode' to see what the IQ and speed differences are on the NV3X with the drivers over all three modes.... if the modes are practically identical with these drivers in IQ/effects/speed I think it would then be safe to say that NV has then committed fraud by declaring a DX9 setting but only using DX8 level technology...

Also I can't wait for October 31st and see what Futuremark with their new rules make of these drivers - does anyone think that NV will actually have drivers that can be allowed on that date considering the sheer effort that appears to be going into cheating right now?
jimbob0i0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 05:12 AM   #22
r2d2d3d4d5
Prole

When was HL2 benchmarked on a 5950U? Perhaps this is the card that will turn it all around.

My guess is that this benchmarks have surfaced to spoil the XT/Cat3.8 launch and will probably disappear again in a few weeks.
r2d2d3d4d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 05:21 AM   #23
nForceMan

Default Re: Anand posts Initial HL2 results with new Dets

Quote:

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/index.html

Well, well. NV38 flexes his muscle AGAIN!

That awesome NV driver develompent team. I love those guys!
nForceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 05:35 AM   #24
Richthofen

Default Re: Re: Re: Anand posts Initial HL2 results with new Dets

Quote:
The fact that Nvidia in their official response to valve a couple weeks ago stated plainly that they would replace PS2.0 with PS 1.4 wherever they felt it was "Ok".

Meaning I gurantee you that even this "Mixed mode" test Nvidia is doing Specific per level application detection and completely replacing the games code with DX8 stuff. Meaning even replacing Valves own Shaders that they customized for Nvidia themselves.

It means that it is flatly not DX9 Vs DX9 at all. It is DX8 being Reported as DX9 "mixed mode". True "Mixed mode" is still DX9 it just uses FP16. This is clearly not whats happening here.

This my Friends is outright Fraud.
as long as i don't see a huge difference in quality i won't care what Nvidia replaces in that game.
ATI payed VALVE to code that game the way they wan't to have it.
If Nvidia now replaces some things for their cards. Fine...
Pretty funny. Nice 8 Mio dollar investment
Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote