Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-03, 01:26 PM   #1
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...
Default Let the forum members juge trolls...

How about adding a troll button to each post a member makes, that way if someone is making useless or spam posts in the more 'serious' forums we could simply troll them.

After a certain number of troll votes their avatar should automatically become a troll and that way we know exactly what to expect of them. And if they get more troll votes you could always suspend or ban them.

You never know it could be the next big thing in self regulating forums

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 01:33 PM   #2
The Baron

Hmmm.. Interesting idea. Problem is that it will be abused by fanboys.
Old 10-06-03, 01:38 PM   #3
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Hmmm.. Interesting idea. Problem is that it will be abused by fanboys.
What if I promise not to abuse it?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 01:41 PM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
What if I promise not to abuse it?
It's not you that we'd worry about. It's an interesting idea for sure, but I think it would be too easily abused. I mean, this is why there's an option in each post to report it to a moderator. An e-mail gets sent out to all the mods/admins when this is done and whenever I've used it, the issue gets taken care of very promptly. It's nice whenever I come here, 99% of the time there's at least one mod around.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 01:43 PM   #5
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default ...

So maybe there could be a point system:

If you have 0-99 posts, you can only cast TWO points.

If you have 100-250 posts, you can cast THREE points.

If you have 251-1000, FOUR...

1000 and above, FIVE...

10 points and your avatar's changed.

16 and you're IP banned...

???

I dunno, just an idea...

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 01:47 PM   #6
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
It's not you that we'd worry about. It's an interesting idea for sure, but I think it would be too easily abused. I mean, this is why there's an option in each post to report it to a moderator. An e-mail gets sent out to all the mods/admins when this is done and whenever I've used it, the issue gets taken care of very promptly. It's nice whenever I come here, 99% of the time there's at least one mod around.
Here's the problem. Within three days, here's who would be labelled a troll:

me
StealthHawk
MikeC
Uttar
Hellbinder
Digitalwanderer
Skuzzy
Sat
vamp
rage

It'd be almost instant. If you say that NVIDIA has screwed up for reason X, you will be labelled a troll by certain members of the community. If you say that ATI has screwed up for reason Y, you will be labelled a troll.

Maybe if we elected Troll Selectors or assigned it randomly to people with a post count above threshold Z, it might work. But, in that form, no, it would be too messy.
Old 10-06-03, 02:00 PM   #7
digitalwanderer

Forum deputies? Hmm.....
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 10-06-03, 02:00 PM   #8
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Maybe if we elected Troll Selectors or assigned it randomly to people with a post count above threshold Z, it might work. But, in that form, no, it would be too messy.
Sort of like a "Troll Council" then? This group could be a subset who would report to the mods. While I like the idea, I think it adds too much bureaucracy (sp?).

Old 10-06-03, 02:03 PM   #9
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default ...

quick, to the bat phone!!

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 02:05 PM   #10
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

I still think it could be done. Members with >x number of posts could be eligible for troll voting and members with over >y number of posts could be excluded from being voted a troll, one of the pleasures of being a good forum member

It would certainly make people think twice about dumping in forums if they knew they could be visually labeled as a troll. Think of it as a kind of self regulation for new members.

[edit]

Posts that were voted as being troll posts could be reviewed at a later date and the mods could then decide whether it was a fair vote or not, people who troll vote to often could simply have the priviledge removed. If it was done correctly it could save the mods time and effort in castigating the monkeys who make such a mess in the forums.

It's just that it really annoys me that we don't really have any way of marking these people.

[/edit]

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon

Last edited by SurfMonkey; 10-06-03 at 02:12 PM.
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 02:07 PM   #11
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
I still think it could be done. Members with >x number of posts could be eligible for troll voting and members with over >y number of posts could be excluded from being voted a troll, one of the pleasures of being a good forum member
Only problem with that is you'd have to keep an extra-careful eye on spam posting. In order to be excluded, I would say you'd have to have over 2500 or some astronomically high number. It couldn't just be like 500 or something.
Old 10-06-03, 02:17 PM   #12
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Only problem with that is you'd have to keep an extra-careful eye on spam posting. In order to be excluded, I would say you'd have to have over 2500 or some astronomically high number. It couldn't just be like 500 or something.
How about a nice round 4,000?
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]