Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-02-03, 04:17 PM   #1
Bluesman

Default Twinview/Xinerama problems with 2 graphics cards

Hi,

I have 2 graphics cards, GeForce 2 MX200 and S3 Trio64 (PCI). What I'm trying to do is have tv-out enabled on GeForce with TwinView, so that the desktop is not shared between tv and monitor and also having second monitor connected to S3 card.
Duealhead works great if I don't enable tv-out, and tv-out works as expected if I don't enabled second (S3) card. But when I have both cards enabled and try to enable tv-out, the desktop between the monitor conneced to GeForce and TV gets shared so that if I maximize an application it gets maximized over both the monitor and tv, which is kinda annoying. I've been trying this with several window managers / desktop environments (Fluxbox, KDE, Gnome) without any success. No success with enableing or disableing Xinerama in XF86Config also.
Am I doing something wrong or is this actually how it's supposed to work (perhaps a bug)?

System specs:
Video cards:
- Gainward GeForce 2 MX 200 (Video BIOS: 03.11.01.24.00)
- S3 Trio64
Driver:
- GeForce: 1.0.4496
- S3: default XFree's s3 driver (XFree 4.3.99.13)
Distribution: Gentoo (updated)
CPU: AMD Duron 700
Motherboard: QDI KinetiZ KT7
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.1.log (48.9 KB, 141 views)
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 04:22 PM   #2
Bluesman

Adding XF86Config.txt (.txt extension so that I can attach it). It is the config file that is being used when starting X. I just renamed it before attaching.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (3.6 KB, 220 views)
Old 10-18-03, 06:33 PM   #3
emptymm

Bluesman,

Thanks for the config.. Is your BIOS set with your AGP or PCI card as primary?

Thanks,
Ken
emptymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-03, 08:53 AM   #4
Bluesman

I think it was AGP, I'm not sure though. I'm only using one monitor now, since that didn't work. I'll hook it all back up this evening, try both settings and let you know.
Old 10-21-03, 12:03 AM   #5
emptymm

Actually, I think I just noticed the problem.. You're X86Config file has the the "TwinView" option listed but not turned on.. It's off by default so you need to specify:

Option "TwinView" "true"
-Ken
Old 10-21-03, 10:42 AM   #6
Infernall

I have a similar problem.

I am trying to get Xinerama working with 2 CRT's on an FX5200. The CRT's are working, with twinview, but there is no support for maximizing to a single window, grabbing edges of the screen, etc.

I have to manually size all my windows....

I have xinerama enabled, and twinview enabled.

Any suggestions?
Infernall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-03, 06:47 PM   #7
emptymm

Infernal,

You can't have xinerama and twinview working at the same time. Nvidia's twinview/nview operates by providing it's own custom xinerama extentions to X when it's turned on and is not compatible with xinerama. If you're using 1 dual head nvidia card to drive both monitors then you have the following options:

1. Turn off xinerama and use twinview to customize your display's using the twinview driver options:
nvidia readme

You'll only have one Monitor, Device and Screen section in your X86Config and use the Twinview sub-options (in your device or screen section) to describe the second display.

The plus side to this is that OpenGL is supported by the nvidia driver on both screens. As far as X knows you're only running 1 monitor, the nvidia driver does the rest.

2. Use xinerama and customize your display using the xinerama options. You'll have separate Device, Monitor and Screen sections and will have Xinerama set to "true" or "on" in the ServerLayout section. OpenGL application are only supported on one screen at a time (the first listed in the ServerLayout section). I'd also recommend using a "xinerama friendly" windows manager.. X Windows Managers

3. Set up each display separately and run two separate X sessions. You'll have separate Device, Monitor and Screen sections and will have Xinerama set to "false" or "off" in the ServerLayout section. You won't be able to drag windows between displays but won't have some of the "funky" display problems that can happen with xinerama.

-Ken