Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-03, 03:53 AM   #1
Don_Diego

Default 'no device detected' and such...

I just finished a gentoo 1.4 installation and I seem to have gotten everything running smoothy....except for the nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra drivers.

I've complied them into the kernel, and X seems to find them fine....just not my hardware(?)

I ran a test run of X with X -configure and that at least brings up something with the generic vesa drivers. After I've made the necessary modifications on my XF86Config file (generated by...er....that other thingie....you know), things don't go all that well: I get 'device not found' errors and X does not come up at all. I tried modifying the file generated by X -configure, but I get the exact same error.

I've checked google and the gentoo forms and I'm no the only one (nor is Gentoo the only distro) that is having similar problems, but not many folks here (that I could see) where having this error. This is interesting as one of the reasons why I was all gung-ho for gentoo in the first place was that I couldn't get my nVidia card running on any of my last 3 RedHat incarnations. *shrug*

Please see my attached config & log file.

nVidia GeForce 2 Ultra
AMD Athlon 1GHz
other wirey things and blinking lights.
Attached Files
File Type: txt x.txt (27.0 KB, 193 views)
Don_Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 12:45 AM   #2
Don_Diego

I'm currently running the default vesa drivers, so I can at least use X.

In the meantime, anyone? Help...please?
Old 10-06-03, 03:51 PM   #3
Don_Diego

The machine I'm running all this on was purchased from Gateway (I was young and impressionable...forgive me). Could it be that they've done something to the chipset that makes it no longer recognized by the NVIDIA Linux drivers?
Old 10-09-03, 12:00 AM   #4
Don_Diego

Default One more bump....

...and I seem to have narrowed the problem down to either a hardware detection issue, a kernel source tree issue or both. Yay.

Attached it my NV-installer log file. As you can see, I specified the path to my kernel headers, only to have it decided that it didn't like them. I am running 2.4.20 from the sources availible for my distro (Gentoo), but I did some muddling in menuconfig. This may have resulted in the kernel source tree issue, but I don't know enough about kernels to begin to address it.

If it's a IRQ/PCI/AGP thing, then I have no idea where to start. My BIOS is too dumb to handle IRG assignments, so I have it all done by the kernel, which gives this output with lspci -v:

1:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4150 (prog-if 00 [VGA]) Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 3020 Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11 Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] I/O ports at d800 [size=256] Memory at ffdf0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K] Expansion ROM at ffdc0000 [disabled] [size=128K] Capabilities: [58] AGP version 2.0 Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2 01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4170 Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 3021 Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64 Memory at b0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M] Memory at ffde0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K] Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (5.0 KB, 124 views)