Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-16-02, 02:47 PM   #1
pelly

Talking Shuttle SV24

My fiance is sick and tired of using an old 200MHz jaloppie system....so I told her I'd buy her something new....I was browsing through newegg looking at the sweet-looking XPC mini-systems when I saw this deal:

Shuttle SV24 with 800MHz Cyrix CPU : $165!!!

She doesn't do any gaming....only browse the internet, AOL IM, and word documents.....So long as I put in enough memory, this system should be great for her...

I snagged it and a black CDRom/Floppy.......I'll take some pics and let you guys know how things go...

Has anyone here used one of these before? I've read some good reviews....hopefully, it won't suck...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 03:20 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

For how your wife-to-be is going to use it, I think you made an excellent choice. Get yourself 256 mb RAM, load up Windows 2000 and she's have a stable, quiet and reasonably fast machine from where she can do everything you described.

So no Radeon 9700 for her then, eh?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 03:27 PM   #3
pelly

I was so tempted to opt for a mini-system with an AGP slot....but I knew I'd just cram some insane card in her system and end up using it myself......This way, I know I'll NEVER use her system so she'll always be a happy camper....

Old 09-18-02, 08:52 AM   #4
pelly

I just received the system in the mail, and I spent last night assembling and configuring everything...Overall, I am blown-away by this little system...With 384MB of PC-133 and the Cyrix 800MHz processor, this little box really moves along.

Here's a pic or two showing how incredibly small the system is ( using chap-stick as a reference for size )

Old 09-18-02, 10:44 PM   #5
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

I love those little things!
Old 09-18-02, 10:48 PM   #6
netviper13
Treehugger

Very nice, this new SFF trend really gave me a new outlook on what to do with my old parts when I upgrade. Talk about a decent LAN box, just put my entire current system (except motherboard of course) in an SFF machine based on the nForce2, and it's a perfect LAN box.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-02, 06:54 AM   #7
pelly

True...the upcoming Shuttle mini-system based upon the nForce2 will be an amazing little system...

I am definitely going to pick one of those up and slap something ridiculous like an NV30 ( when available ).....Talk about a killer LAN-box....