Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-05-03, 04:43 PM   #1
mcnut

Default Terminal not visible

After booting up into KDE, and attempting to logout, the text is not readable, it is multi- colored dots, nearly like the resolution does not get updated.

this problem is only in my shell though...
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 07:25 PM   #2
mcnut

could this be due to the fact that terminal is using AGPART?
Old 10-08-03, 01:48 AM   #3
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

X probably isn't killing itself as it should. Try typing "reset" in your shell and see if that fixes the text (This will not reboot your machine). If it does, I would guess that the problem is associated with your X config file, or perhaps a desktop manager (xdm, kdm, gdm, etc) that boots you straight into X when you boot up.

Only X uses the AGPGART driver and the nVidia driver. If you boot into single mode and type lsmod, you probably won't find either of these modules loaded. In fact, you can rmmod them safely (rmmod nvidia first, then agpgart).
Old 10-08-03, 08:14 PM   #4
mcnut

nope, not seeming to help by typing reset... so odd.

I'm still going through your XF86Config file and checking for gfx card differences.
Old 10-08-03, 09:47 PM   #5
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

Hmm, actually, maybe there's something wrong with your bootloader config? Is there a line in your lilo.conf or grub.conf file that starts with vga= and specifies some number? Also, you might want to make sure fbdev is disabled in your kernel.

If this is a default Redhat / Mandrake / etc. install, it might be trying to use a high resolution console. That could be causing problems.
Old 10-08-03, 10:54 PM   #6
mcnut

yes I do have the high resolution console on (it was a slackware option) I wonder how I now turn it off or fix my problem...

edit: changed my boot loader settings to the default.. its so much uglier.. is there a way I could know what would be safe to use with vga?

Last edited by mcnut; 10-08-03 at 11:12 PM.