Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-03, 06:34 AM   #1
papsZa_hun

Question Debian + WineX + 1.0-4496??

Hi all!

Situation:
I'm using the nVidia kernel module version 1.0-4496 on debian linux kernel:2.4.20. My card is GeForce2 MX 400 64MB. I've wineX to play openGL games like MOHAA. I've upgraded from 43.63 to 4496 hoped to solve the following problem: after a few minutes of playing the game will be extremly slow! Seems to be "undependent" on graphics setup in the game (High->Low, 1024*768->800*600). I've read through the entire nvidia-doc but wasn't able to find any information about this.
Furthermore:
I wanted to install the package called nvidia-glx (need to run opengl applications correctly) but wasn't able to do because the broken packages! Nvidia-glx depends on nvidia-kernel-1.0-4496 package whitch is NOT AVAILABLE on debian.org site. What now???
Tried to download the package (nvidia-glx), decompress it and copy the libs to their places, but the games hangs up instead of running...

Please help me!

PS.: sorry for language mistakes, i'm from hungary
papsZa_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-03, 04:49 AM   #2
Ross Clement

Default nvidia on debian

Hi. Sorry to follow up your unanswered question with a question, but did you manage to fix your problems? I'm having trouble with redhat and nvidia that I never managed to solve, and am considering switching to debian.

Could you also tell me which version of debian you have installed?

Thanks in anticipation,

Ross-c
Old 10-21-03, 02:20 AM   #3
papsZa_hun

hi!

yes, yes unsolved problems... thats why i'll be an ATI owner...
i'm using debian woody 3.0 or 3.1 (i don't remember) unstable... , but i don't suggest to use unstable because it has many problems. use stable instead! (i'll reinstall today)

WARNING: how long have you been using red hat? after red hat debian can be eXtremly difficult to configure, almost everything you must to do in command line (you must configure X before use it), but debian is my favourite...

bye!
papsZa_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-03, 04:13 AM   #4
Ross Clement

Default Re: Debian + WineX + 1.0-4496??

Hmmmm.... The command line shouldn't be a problem. I've been a unix user since 1983, and last year taught a course including large amounts of shellscript programming, sed, awk, etc. I've also installed Solaris two or three times (doing everything from the command line).

I must admit that after looking at reviews of Fedora. I might stay with that. But, I've seen lots of posts from people using Debian unstable without many problems. Since I'm right now burning disk 9 of 12 of Debian "Sid", and have a spare hard drive, I might as well give it a go. Since I posted my question, I've found that Debian "woody" is much too conservative for my tastes. E.g. doesn't it have KDE 2.2? I don't think I could go back from 3.1 to 2.2.

I also have an older nforce/nvidia computer which works flawlessly (apart from my cd-rom becoming 'difficult' to access since I added a USB cd-rewriter, but I always use the rewriter now) on redhat 9 with the nvidia drivers. It runs WineX, and 3d games (I have Max Payne, but am looking for something less violent).

This time, I'm probably going to use a large hard drive partitioned several times, and install a number of different operating systems. By creating user accounts in a central location, I *hope* that I'll be able to easily switch between them. I was planning on trying Fedora, Debian Sid, and FreeBSD. If Sid is unstable, I'll switch that partition for something else.

Cheers,

Ross-c