Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-03, 08:49 AM   #1
Jon

Default Software for checking blank discs

Is there any good software around that can do a scan on a blank cd/dvd to check for physical defects? I guess there must be something as some companies claim to check each cd/dvd at it leaves the factory. I have a number of blank discs which look to have been scratched while on the spindle and don't want to throw them away, but don't want to take a chance on them with anything essential.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 09:18 AM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

There isn't any way to check for errors on a disc if there's no data there to begin with.

How badly scratched are the discs? If they're light, hairline marks they should be just fine. CDs and modern burners are designed to compensate for stuff like this. If you're really paranoid, don't use them for anything essential. Burn some audio CDs with them or something, or if you need to back up essential data make two copies. Some of my CDs and DVDs are scratched a bit and they've always worked just fine. If the disc is bad, you'll get errors while burning.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 03:24 AM   #3
Jon

Thanks for the info, the scratches are only hairline but there are loads of them around the edges of the disc. I only recently became paranoid when I started to get CRC errors reading discs I only burnt a couple of months ago. Although I have some which are the same brand and burnt over a year ago which are fine. I store all my discs in plastic cases in the same storage rack. I bought only Phillips brand cds to match the brand of my writer.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 08:27 AM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
I bought only Phillips brand cds to match the brand of my writer.
That's totally unnecessary. Just buy whatever brand of CDs you can get the best deal on.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 09:11 AM   #5
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

When I use my old scsi 4x burner (almost never) I some times get crc errors on 700mb cds, in case of an error its always in the end of the cd after the 640mb mark. But only some times ...

Tho thats a write error nothing to do with the cd media I use, probably cos the burner is very old, also worth of notice I get no error message during the burn prosses.

You could if you are not sure if your cd works scan it with Cd Mage, or Iso buster. I think both have the option to scan for errors. But again, only on cds with sfuff on.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 07:09 PM   #6
JohnsonLKD
Henry stauf

I think Nero has it too.

it's name was scanCD.exe when I used while I was using DOS. Now I'm very postitive that somewhere out there you can find the CD checking program.

Toshiba PPC e830 - 2x 1GB SD / 2.2GB Magicstor CF2 MHDD / BT / WiFi
JohnsonLKD is offline   Reply With Quote