Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-21-03, 07:47 PM   #1
Vis

Default Nforce 2 a7n8x and SuSE 9.0 = Stuck.

I'm lost to as how to fix this. Installed the new SuSE 9.0 and it has no native support for nforce2 MB's apparently. I've run the SuSE 8.1 rpm via yast but it didn't seem to do anything.

I can't even use the network card at this point. I heard talk of an installer, but the only thing I've found is the aforementioned SuSE nforce rpm.

Suggestions?
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 01:21 AM   #2
Vis

I installed another network card and managed to get network access that way. I then installed the nvidia drivers via YAST2 in SuSE but I'm not entirely sure it works correct as whenever I attempt to change the setting via SAX, it turns off 3d. It also apparently will not let me set the desktop rez to 32 bit.

The thing I am most confused about is the nvidia installer. Does one exist for nForce2 based cards? I can see where the video driver for nvidia cards is located, but I do not see an installed for nForce based cards. Can anyone help me clear this up? Does nVidia just not offer much support for us nForce card users under Linux?
Old 10-22-03, 10:40 AM   #3
geowiz

Default Drivers

nVidia has 2 driver packages. One for the graphics card and one for the nforce2 motherboard platform.

It appears that you have installed the graphics driver. The problems you're having getting 3d running are (I'm sure) covered in the other Linux forum on this site http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/foru...?s=&forumid=14 or in the install diirections with the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0 package.

The nforce2 platform package includes drivers for audio, network and GART. While I don't run SuSE, it would appear that the kernel version you have is new enough that the install package from nVidia is not available from them. So, if Yast doesn't have a NVIDIA_nforce package available, download the tar.gz from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261 and extract the source code. cd into the nforce/nvnet directory and compile the network driver and install it. Directions are in the nforce directory and on this site to get the nvnet driver configured.

Hope this clarifies the situation.
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-03, 03:39 PM   #4
Modem Mercenary

Default ASUS A7N8X and SuSE Solutions....

We got it going with an A7N8X Deluxe board under SuSE 8.2 using nvidia's SuSE RPM 1.0-0261.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261

The key to get nForce2 linux drivers to work with the A7N8X board is to turn off ACPI and APIC in the motherboard's BIOS. Then enter the following paramters in the "Kernel options" box in the Boot Loader screen:

acpi=off noapic

then you can install the nforce drivers without any problems.

The problem has something to do with ACPI and APIC interfering with hardware detection for the nvidia network port and the onboard sound.

Also, don't forget to turn ACPI and APIC back on in the BIOS afterwards. If you have Windows XP installed as well, XP will hang during boot up.

If for some reason you have to re-install and forget to turn off apic and acpi, you can still have network capability using the 3Com network port. SuSE 8.2 will want to make the Nvidia network port the primary network device. All you got to do is remove it and configure the 3Com device as eth0.

Hope this helps!

Modem Mercenary

P.S. awaiting SuSE 9.0...
Modem Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-03, 07:13 PM   #5
Vis

Default Thanks

I ended up slapping an extra network card in and it does detect that one with no problem. It also does detect the sound. So it's not that big of a deal now..but If i hadn't had that extra card it would have sucked.
Old 10-31-03, 05:46 PM   #6
thegreatgatsby

the suse 8.2 rpm does not work with suse 9.0 (different kernel)

I think you need to install the kernel source (I did) from the cd

and then you need to install the source tarball/rpm and follow instructions
works well

painful learning process though

sorry you had to get a new network card, but probably less painful than 2 days trying to get it working
thegreatgatsby is offline   Reply With Quote