Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-03, 02:25 AM   #1
tangsta

Default Half Life 2 may not even come out...

I think we may see a serious delay for Half Life 2 or never see it at all. Actually I'd be surprised if it came out this year. Valve is going to be in a world hurt in the next few months for the source engine leak.

Why? because there are third party source licenses in there that was never meant for anyone to see. The major one would be the Havok physics engine. Valve broke the license agreement by exposing the source for others to see so you can gurantee they will get sued up the ass by these companies. We're not talking a couple million dollars here, I'm talking about the amount of money that can potentially bring Valve under for good. It's a serious matter and I hope Valve gets through this but I doubt it.
tangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 03:53 AM   #2
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

In my opinion, it's the person(s) that hacked Valve who'll get sued for for that matter, or maybe M$ for the amount of unpatched security flaws left in IE/OL. Valve can't be held responsible for having been hacked, I mean, they are the victims here.
I don't see Valve giving up on HL2 after having worked for 5 years on it. They can make a lot of money on it, no matter the number of illegal copies that'll be available over the net. Almost every game is hacked nowadays and I'm sure HL2 will sell well, since no illegal copy can match the quality of the original game. A lot of people have been waiting for years to play HL2 and surely won't be satisfied with just a stupid ripped ISO (since it seems that the whole game being ripped off G.N. HDD story was just a rumor).

mrsabidji
Old 10-07-03, 03:56 AM   #3
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

I doubt HL2 would sit with Duke Nukem Forever in terms of release date.
Old 10-07-03, 05:41 AM   #4
rth

I consider this to be the work of karma.

If valve hadn't spent so much time ****ing about forcing Steam on us to prevent piracy, the game would have been out ages ago and the leak probably wouldn't have happened.

Now, instead of some usual game piracy (single player would still be piratable, so a CD key for multiplayer would have been just as effective for anti-piracy) every game suffers from, valve are going to suffer from worse source-code piracy.

They aren't going to lose money from Source engine licenses - just because it's been leaked doesn't mean a 3rd party game developer doesn't need to buy a license. But it gives more options to the pirates and modders.
Old 10-07-03, 07:42 AM   #5
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

rth you have said this once already and once again I reply with, ahh so that makes it even then
Old 10-07-03, 08:19 AM   #6
mavis
Radeon X800 Pro

The game WILL be released...

... next year ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/33260.html

On the bright side, the hackers only got a third of the code (according to Vivendi) so I guess that's better than the initial rumors ... still, sucks for Valve ... and for me (stupid me, I pre-ordered the damn game already)

Old 10-07-03, 09:09 AM   #7
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Let's hope the demo will be out shortly.
Old 10-07-03, 09:24 AM   #8
jimbob0i0
ATI Geek

Send a message via ICQ to jimbob0i0 Send a message via Yahoo to jimbob0i0

Please note that the press release was form Vivendi not Valve....

Check out tour/interview at http://www.halflifesource.com with Gabe for a diff POV
jimbob0i0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-03, 09:52 AM   #9
Voudoun

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbob0i0

Check out tour/interview at http://www.halflifesource.com with Gabe for a diff POV
Thanks. The game will clearly still come out. I never thought there was anything in this `idea' that it wouldn't. Also confirms (for me at least) that these screenshots showing Half-Life 2 (which never looked like Half-Life 2) were probably fake.

Voudoun
Voudoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 09:57 AM   #10
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbob0i0

Thanks Jim!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 10:29 AM   #11
jimbob0i0
ATI Geek

Send a message via ICQ to jimbob0i0 Send a message via Yahoo to jimbob0i0

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Thanks Jim!
A pleasure m8
jimbob0i0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 10:31 AM   #12
pingu

its probably an inside job
they knew that they could not get it out
for sept/oct, so why not release a bit of
code and delay it a few months,
(in the process blame it on the hackers)

or it could be genuine hacking and then why
not use that to have abit of extra time