Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-03, 09:43 AM   #13
digitalwanderer

I dunno, the rumors this morning seem to be that Valve knows who did it and are now working on proving it. (Supposedly the hackers names are written on a whiteboard at Valve, but who really knows? )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 09:55 AM   #14
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I dunno, the rumors this morning seem to be that Valve knows who did it and are now working on proving it. (Supposedly the hackers names are written on a whiteboard at Valve, but who really knows? )
knowing valve's security abilities the whiteboard is probably the one near the front door that tells people about new announcements.

anyone living near their HQ want to go walk past and check out who did it?
Old 10-07-03, 10:01 AM   #15
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

April 2004 is definitely looking more realistic. EB changed the release date on their site from 11/21 to 3/31. Time to get the credit back on that pre-order and apply it to Max Payne 2.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 10:03 AM   #16
UDawg
Retired spammer

I'm tired of this. This is the reason I am done with online gaming. I was so looking forward to this game but now I'm not sure I will even be playing games by then. I'm getting too old for this any way.

Come on Dig, it's time you you and I to grow up and get a real life.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 10:29 AM   #17
Ramshambo2001
*DEAD*

Send a message via AIM to Ramshambo2001

NOOO NOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

*jumps off a cliff*
2 GB DDR400 (Mem)
Radeon x850 xt pe
256 mb (Video)
Western Digital SE 120GB (Storage)
40/24/48 lite-on (CD-Drive)
Plextor 8x DVD Burner (DVD-Drive)
SoundBlaster XFI XtremeMusic (Sound)
Logitech Z-680 (Speakers)
17-inch NEC LCD 1760V (Display)
Ramshambo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 11:02 AM   #18
ReDeeMeR
The Guy Next Door *wink*

Send a message via ICQ to ReDeeMeR

Screw HL2 people, take back your preorders, this is rediculouse, there are plenty of great games and dev's who dont hype the **** out of their crap then delay because they want to incorporate some spyware crap software *cough*steam*cough* but keep denying it till the last minute and let us sheep buy the damn Radeon9800XT's because they got 6 ****in million

With those clowns at valve I wouldnt be surprised that it wont come 2004 either.

Last edited by ReDeeMeR; 10-07-03 at 11:05 AM.
ReDeeMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 11:14 AM   #19
Descombobulator

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Valve can't be held responsible for having been hacked, I mean, they are the victims here.
Presumably the 3rd party licences they signed included some sort of duty of care. I find it staggering that Valve have been comprimised to such an extent that they have managed to to lose their most significant corporate asset. It beggars belief.

I do feel sorry for the poor sods, but ultimately they *are* responsible for protecting their assets. In this case, there appears to have been a catastrophic breakdown of security.

I did wonder whether, once comprimised, they might have set up 'honey-pot' to try and catch the scumbags in the act.
Old 10-07-03, 11:25 AM   #20
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Apparently, Vivendi did not confirm the delay... There's a news post about that on http://www.halflifesource.com/ frontpage.

mrsabidji

Old 10-07-03, 12:04 PM   #21
hithere

I can't imagine why Valve would purposefully miss the holiday season, then line up their relese to coincide more with a certain other 400lb gorilla of a game, over some source code that is, at this point, non-recoverable. Face it, even if they catch the crook, the code is still out there. Valve has that $8,000,000 contract with ATI concerning bundling of the game, I wonder if this represents a breach, as ATI, I'm sure, was banking on a holiday release as well. With that other game coming out around the same time as HL, that could be detrimental to ATi, as in gamers split the vote between running HL2 on an ATi card, and running that other game on an nvidia card, and thus, their 8-million dollars is for naught...

Of course, stranger things have happened.
hithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 12:09 PM   #22
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
knowing valve's security abilities the whiteboard is probably the one near the front door that tells people about new announcements.

anyone living near their HQ want to go walk past and check out who did it?
Your dislike for Valve is getting very childish
Old 10-07-03, 12:22 PM   #23
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Quote:
Originally posted by hithere
I can't imagine why Valve would purposefully miss the holiday season, then line up their relese to coincide more with a certain other 400lb gorilla of a game, over some source code that is, at this point, non-recoverable. Face it, even if they catch the crook, the code is still out there. Valve has that $8,000,000 contract with ATI concerning bundling of the game, I wonder if this represents a breach, as ATI, I'm sure, was banking on a holiday release as well. With that other game coming out around the same time as HL, that could be detrimental to ATi, as in gamers split the vote between running HL2 on an ATi card, and running that other game on an nvidia card, and thus, their 8-million dollars is for naught...

Of course, stranger things have happened.
I'll buy both games anyway. The sad thing is I was expecting HL2 to help me wait till DooM 3 is out. Well, MaxPaine2 should hit the stores this month...

mrsabidji
Old 10-07-03, 12:27 PM   #24
Spotch

One thing is for sure... If thisgame is delayed till April then ATI will completely lose all benefits from the bundling agreement with HL2. By then there will be a new generation of cards from both NV and ATI that are much better suited for playing DX9 games. ATI clearly made this deal to take advantage of their current gen cards' DX9 superiority and increase sales of said graphic parts. They surely cannot sell these cards now with a coupon for a game that noone will see til next year.

ATI better get a refund!
Spotch is offline   Reply With Quote