Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-03, 10:26 AM   #1
brmiller

Default grub splashimage garbled on ge5200?

I have a Toshiba P25 laptop with the GeForce ge5200. If I enable splashimage support on either grub or lilo, the overlaid text is garbled. Is there something wrong with the VGA16 mode on this chipset, or is it a Toshiba issue, or what? Is there a workaround? Does this beast properly support VGA16 (640x480x16)?

Brendan
brmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 02:30 AM   #2
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

I don't know of any workarounds for this problem, but just to confirm what you said, your problem is rooted in framebuffer device (fbdev) support for integrated nVidia graphics chipsets. You share the same problem as many who try to use bootloader splash screens on nForce motherboards.

Sorry I can't get more specific at the time, but I hope that gave you enough direction to find an answer using Google or something.

Last edited by Soul-Crusher; 10-08-03 at 02:35 AM.
Soul-Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 12:45 PM   #3
brmiller

Quote:
Originally posted by Soul-Crusher
I don't know of any workarounds for this problem, but just to confirm what you said, your problem is rooted in framebuffer device (fbdev) support for integrated nVidia graphics chipsets.
Really? Maybe if the fbdev support was to use VGA16...

The grub splashimage support uses VGA16 mode 0x12 (INT 10h function 12h). And this is garbled. Actually, the part that's garbled is the text overlay, so maybe it's a font issue. The framebuffer device isn't present yet, because the kernel istn't loaded. But it could still be the same problem.

Thanks for the reply, and I'll keep hacking.

Brendan
brmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-03, 03:55 PM   #4
Soul-Crusher
Leadtek 6800GT

Send a message via ICQ to Soul-Crusher Send a message via AIM to Soul-Crusher Send a message via Yahoo to Soul-Crusher

My bad, looks like I was thinking of a different issue.