Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-02, 09:45 PM   #13
bwkaz

I'm pretty sure that's twm, the window manager that X comes with. By default, your xinitrc file on a new X install loads twm and a couple of xterms. To get out of it, exit the xterm labeled "login".

To make it use something else, grep through /etc/X11 for a file containing "twm", and edit this file so that instead of executing these:

Code:
twm &
xterm -geometry <stuff> &
xterm -geometry <stuff> &
exec xterm -geometry <stuff> -name login
it executes something like this:

Code:
exec startkde
Or exec gnome-session if you happen to like Gnome.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-02, 09:47 PM   #14
Andy Mecham
l33t master

... or edit ~/.xinitrc to include the line

'gnome-session'

or

'startkde'

--andy
Old 09-18-02, 12:45 PM   #15
Frink

I can't find a file with the twm lines like that and I'm not sure what ~/.xintric means so I don't know how to open that file.
I get a a login screen where I can choose my user and a X environment (KDE, gnome, window manager, failsafe, etc.) but no matter what I choose I always get sent to this weird kinda windows environment. Please help. Thanks.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-02, 06:51 PM   #16
Frink

I think I might have had an error during the installation of XFree86. If I did have an error would I even be able to get to the login screen and the thing I am in now? Should I do a reinstall of XFree86 or start over with a new install of Mandrake? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-19-02, 02:22 PM   #17
Frink

I reformatted and reinstalled mandrake 8.2 then XFree86 4.2.0 then the nvidia drivers. I am still not getting into KDE or any other environment that I choose. I always go into the environment with the console window, but I can run windowed programs from it. Could someone help me out here? Thanks.
Old 09-19-02, 03:05 PM   #18
bwkaz

Do you have a .xsession file in your home directory? (ls -a should show it if it exists)

If so, post the contents. If not, look for an Xsession file (no preceding dot, and capitalized X) somewhere under /etc/X11, and if you can find it, post it.

My guess is that you're using either xdm or kdm or gdm (which are display managers, they find out who's logging in and are supposed to choose an appropriate window manager or desktop environment based on that), and for some reason, it's always defaulting to twm rather than whatever you pick.

I don't use any of them ([xkg]dm, that is), so I'm not sure on how to fix it, but checking into .xsession and Xsession files are (IIRC) a good way to start. If you can't figure it out, I'm pretty sure there's someone on www.linuxnewbie.org who knows. In any case, I am fairly sure it's not an nVidia driver problem, just something with the way XFree86 4.2 installs by default.
Old 09-19-02, 09:13 PM   #19
Frink

I'm not sure if this is this will work but I am trying to attach my .xsession-errors file from my /home/user/ dir. I didn't see any that was just .xsession. I hope this works. It doesn't allow me to view this file using 'vi .xsession-errors'. How can I view this file?

edit: I couldn't attach the file either. How do I use .something files?

Last edited by Frink; 09-19-02 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-19-02, 09:45 PM   #20
bwkaz

I'd check under /etc/X11 somewhere, then (my source install of X put an Xsession in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession, but yours may be in a different place; it's somewhere to start, though).

I don't know why .xsession-errors isn't readable by your user (at least, that's what seems to be the problem), but it shouldn't be a big deal because that file just logs errors anyway.

Old 09-19-02, 09:59 PM   #21
Frink

OK I finally got it working thanks to the friendly people here.
I created a .xsession file in my /home/user/ directory and put the line 'startkde' in it. Logged out then back in again and now I am in KDE. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can play UT2003 in linux now. Thanks again.