Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-03, 09:19 PM   #25
rth

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Half-Life2 Thief Speaks..

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
Be more careful next time! Almost fell of the chair! It's true, almost every good game has been delayed. Oh well, i'm playing MP 1 right now, so as to remember the game a little bit. I wanna feel for the dude when i'm kicking the bad guys' asses in the sequel.
nooooooooooooooooooo.... it won't work

you should have played it when it came out

it'll be like watching a Connery and a Moore Bond film back to back
Old 10-09-03, 09:54 PM   #26
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Half-Life2 Thief Speaks..

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
nooooooooooooooooooo.... it won't work

you should have played it when it came out

it'll be like watching a Connery and a Moore Bond film back to back
No, i did play it when it came out! If i remember well, i got it by a coincidence. I think a Tomb Raider game (can't recall which one ) was out almost at the same time, but i didn't know about Max being out too. I was paying for the TR game, when i saw a grandpa paying for some games next to me (I'll be damned if he wasn't 70+!, must have been a hardcore gamer). I said to myself "Heh, way to go grandpa, you bought TR too, but what's that other title underneath"? So i ask him "what's the other game you got"? He says "Max Payne my man"! and shows me that nice black box. I couldn't believe it! Went back and took the last copy left on the shelf. So yeah, i played it when it was out, thanks to that old man whom i didn't omit to thank for the info (it was the last copy don't forget)....
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
Old 10-09-03, 10:16 PM   #27
Greg

Go easy on Valve... why?

If the anonymous poster was telling the truth about the current state of the game, it means that Valve or their distributors are lying. But this is completely normal behavior for the games industry. Please don't equate this with acceptable or desirable, but I can assure you it is normal.

Publishers lie about sales figures. Developers lie about features. Release dates are published with full knowledge that they can not be met. Features are advertised to the last minute then withdrawn. A publisher hires a developer and says 'can you make this game in this time period' the developer answers 'yes' knowing full well they can't without extending time, hiring more, renegotiating later when money has been commited. The bottom line is that there is a culture of disohonesty like this: A sprinkle of truth, a great wad of exageration, seasoned with a few outright lies. That's the norm, so don't bash Valve too much, cause I'm sorry to say, everyone else is doing it.
Old 10-09-03, 10:32 PM   #28
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
That's the norm, so don't bash Valve too much, cause I'm sorry to say, everyone else is doing it.
Everyone else didn't get caught. Valve has been in the public's eye a great deal this past month, and their work has had massive implications with regards to the PC games industry and the graphics card market.

Despite this, they have purposely lied and mislead their target audience simply to make a quick buck. They knew that September 30th launch date was impossible long before they announced a delay (and almost certainly before they announced a September 30th launch date). Their behaviour regarding ATi and nVidia benchmarks has been suspicious at best. I happen to think they did a darn good job of deceiving us all, too, until around October 1st. Then their tangled web tied them up in knots, with the help of our hacker friend. While I'm not condoning the hacking of another's machine, or the stealing of source code, the truth is that Valve might still be the good guys if it weren't for him/her (whoever the hacker may be).

I frequently buy games. I won't be buying any Valve games, as I, like many others, have already been buying their bull$!*% for over a month now.

Ooooh! I sound so serious!
Old 10-10-03, 12:21 AM   #29
Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinJim
I frequently buy games. I won't be buying any Valve games, as I, like many others, have already been buying their bull$!*% for over a month now.

Ooooh! I sound so serious!
I don't blame you for that attitude, and I'm personally happy to see review sites be critical of games that are released in a unfinished state, even if a reasonable patch was released to the public shortly after. Sometimes they review the game in its original state rather than with the critical patch, which realisticaly, not all purchasers will ever get hold of.
Old 10-10-03, 03:35 AM   #30
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Red face

All this is realy sad , but talking about scripted action , don't expect fully unscripted AI , its impossible would take ages to build advance AI , Copmuter have no common sense you know... some stuff will always be scripted...

But if all this is true im pissed Valve is lieing so much Like Nvidia Maybe they CEO's are related
Old 10-10-03, 05:40 AM   #31
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
But if all this is true im pissed Valve is lieing so much Like Nvidia Maybe they CEO's are related
Don't forget ATi! One word: quack3.exe
Old 10-10-03, 06:36 AM   #32
Voudoun

Default Re: Re: Half-Life2 Thief Speaks..

Quote:
Originally posted by 5150 Joker
The guy is a pathetic thief that is trying to make up a reason for his stealing the company's work. There is no reasoning behind sabotage and so what if the company pushed back the date? It's a business, they can market the game anyway they like. They could say, "it will be out tomorrow" and create a buzz and then not release it. That doesn't HURT you at all. It doesn't affect your financial standing one bit, all it does is get you hyped up slightly for THEIR game. However, stealing from them damages their bottom line significantly and it's pretty pathetic that there's people like you lashing out at a company for not releasing their game on time.
I agree completely.

Also, about the scripted door kicking, so what? Maybe I've missed something, but I don't recall Valve saying that all NPC actions were unscripted. I know from the E3 movie in the barricade section that they said they weren't scripted sequences and that the AI led to your allies choosing how best to help you out. I wouldn't take that to mean that all NPC action was unscripted. It would be preferable (outside of plot related action) but I don't recall Half-Life 1 or other games being bad because of some scripted scenes.

Voudoun

Old 10-10-03, 07:41 AM   #33
silence

that scene was example of how great AI in HL2 is.....and if its scripted that means they lied about it.....

i know that marketing dictates everything these days and that even this kind of things are considered "normal", but that doesnt mean I have to like it at all.....i dont like being fed up with lias. i was also hyped about NV30 and when i saw what it really was i started to change my opinion about these kinds of things...

this is my money....and u can fool me once or twice, but dont expect to keep fooling me forever.....i know what i want, and if they cant deliver, screw them....

i did feel sorry for Valve, but if its true what this annonymus says, i am becoming more and more disguisted by Valve.....
Old 10-10-03, 08:11 AM   #34
Vash
Angel Arms

Default Re: Re: Re: Half-Life2 Thief Speaks..

Quote:
Originally posted by tomv
What can I say Vash? look at your post count, look at mine. As soon as I say anything in defence of my post I will be flamed to eternity and or banned. I'm entitled to my reasons and opinions and though I don't support what this theif has done I must credit him for exposing something lots of game companies these days do, which people want to believe and that's lie's. Lies and deception. i was going to go thru with answering your post but I have just deleted it and left this. Overall, I hate game companies who lie and deceive and that's what Valve was doing and they did nothing to counter it. Well now all the cards are on the table and I wait anxiously for more BS from Gabe and his team.

These comments are my own opinion. Sorry if you don't agree. I was somewhat asked for my feelings about Valve and I have removed what I feel about Valve and just left my overall feeling on the whole matter. I'd like to stay a member of this site as well But I have been around since the 'beginning' of gaming and this whole thing is a problem software developers have created on their own.

Post count, schmost count. Say what you believe and screw anyone who's immature enough to flame you 'cause you only have double digits posts. Everyone's got to start somewhere.

The bulk of my post really wasn't aimed at you; it was an ill-timed rant, but it wasn't aimed at anyone on this board. I would have appreciated the answer to my post, but you chose to not leave it up, and that's cool. I'm sorry if you took it as a flame; it really wasn't intended to be.

And ya know? I applaud you for not responding en flame to my post - as I reread it, I realize that I was asking for it to a certain extent. It takes a lot of balls and self-control to not flame in reply to a flame and you did that. Whether we agree or not on stuff in the future, I'll be glad to have you around the Forums.

Okay, that aside: your position is that Valve has been shady/lying about the release date thing since they announced the game, correct? It seems to me that while you use the word "hate", you may mean something more along the lines of "intese dislike." For myself, at least, hate includes a kind of passion for a person or group's misfortune; a lifelong thing that won't ever, ever change. Yes, Valve has been misbehaving, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll hate them for the rest of their days. But you will dislike them until they clean up their act.

Is that a good summary of your position?
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Old 10-10-03, 08:15 AM   #35
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally posted by tomv
I just wanted to say I don't hate Valve.

I like them, Halflife 1 was a great. It just disgusts me that companies like Valve given the great success and recognition they have/had with HL 1, would use that to their advantage and deceive a large community with false dates and false claims and false media releases. To me, why would a company do things like that especially Valve or Vivendi?? Cuz it's all about money, it's about 'profit'. It's just another of those nasty realities biting us in the ass again. They are just playing a market. Things like this are not 'uncommon' in the gaming industry today either. For Valve it's the exposure of 'ethics' as a company. Make a game and make as much money as you can.

But there are honest developers, I am not saying there isn't. It's just a real shame it's Valve that's doing this, along with Vivendi. What I'd like to know now is how many addons do you have planned for HalfLife2 Gabe? Are you going the Electronics Arts route to Addon-Mania like Medal of Honor and Battlefield and Sims? Exactly how many features do you have done for HalfLife 2 that you will release later as addons?

Gaming is not like the good old days anymore, it is manipulative marketing practice, two-faced'ness and lying. I just wish developers cared more about their work and released good quality stable games rather than masterminding ways of making more money. I will likely buy HL2 and do as I did for HL1. I will leave when the cheats have get unbearable, same as I did for HL1. Sorry for my rant Just this whole thing bothers me and it's just my means to release it. Sorry to bother you.

Well said. If I'd read the rest of the thread before I responded to your last post, I'd have saved myself a bit of typing.

As for apologizing for a rant - no worries. We all rant from time to time, and if it gets outta hand, or we misunderstand someone, it's time to apologize. I don't think you need to apologize. I did, 'cause my rant was not aimed properly.

Btw, I'm not at all surprised in the slightest that the door-kicking was scripted. I recently read the "Making of the Halo 2 demo" article that was up on Bungie.net, and there was a lot more scripting and such done for the demo because they wanted to show specific attributes of the AI in these particular moments - basically, they knew exactly what they wanted the AI to do and they didn't want it to take an alternate path through the situation.

It's possible that was what was going on with the door kicking thing. Or maybe not - just a possibility among a myriad of other possibilities.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

Last edited by Vash; 10-10-03 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-10-03, 09:07 AM   #36
jbirney

So how many of you have actually written AI code in a game or mod (besides me)? The point is you can have great AI but still have to use scripted sch in some places.

Besides why do you all believe this freak nob head? Are you sure he is telling the truth? Are you shure he stoled the most recent version of HL2? I see a lot of assumptions and spectulations that people are wanting to believe as fact.
Closed Thread