Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-03, 09:26 AM   #37
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney
Besides why do you all believe this freak nob head? Are you sure he is telling the truth? Are you shure he stoled the most recent version of HL2? I see a lot of assumptions and spectulations that people are wanting to believe as fact.
Probably because Valve isn't putting out any denials to the knob heads claims, or much of any info for that matter.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 10-10-03, 09:39 AM   #38
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

After reading the posts by the leaker and others and then inspecting what they claim i have come to the conclusion they are right.

The e3 demo's are not very represenative of how the game will play, they are just shells quickly built to look cool, like a movie set. but again, some of the maps are complete and look ALOT diffrent, by diffrent i mean NOT big, rooms with that lead into small corridors that lead into medium size rooms that lead to a canal witch is amazingly small again heh.
Old 10-10-03, 09:45 AM   #39
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Probably because Valve isn't putting out any denials to the knob heads claims, or much of any info for that matter.
Why should value waste their time with what one hacker says and has it been proven that he actually stoled the code?

Here is an example of how silly you sound. You made the remark that NV could have profited by this leak. Thus by your logic, since NV has not deined it it must be true?
Old 10-10-03, 11:13 AM   #40
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Some good points, but that doesn't make what was done legal. Also, how does the theif explain the planned bundling of HL2 with 9800XT cards if they're supposed to be be on shelves within a few weeks?
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
Old 10-10-03, 11:21 AM   #41
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by stncttr908
Some good points, but that doesn't make what was done legal. Also, how does the theif explain the planned bundling of HL2 with 9800XT cards if they're supposed to be be on shelves within a few weeks?
Voucher?
Old 10-10-03, 01:14 PM   #42
sxotty

By not asserting that a claim is incorrect you lend credence to it, that is true. I wish that some smart person could verify this though. I might be a little bit of an id fanboy, but I don't remember them pulling this kind of stuff. Of course I guess one could call some of what they are doing similar but it seems to be honest enough if exagerations about "how amazingly cool everything will just have to be", but I mean I expect that. Max Payne2 eh... I have $20 gift certificate I was going to spend on Half-Life 2.... mayhaps I will be playing max payne instead .
Old 10-10-03, 01:21 PM   #43
MrNasty
MrNasty

Anyone who still likes valve by now is a fanboy.

They lied to us all about that door being kicked in saying it was a "scripted event"... who knows what else they are lieing about.

Has the hacker cost valve any money: unlikely

Has the hacker delayed hl2: no valve chose to delay it and blaimed it on the hacker

The truth behind the delay: STEAM
Old 10-10-03, 01:31 PM   #44
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney
Why should value waste their time with what one hacker says and has it been proven that he actually stoled the code?
Yeah, it's been proven that someone stole the code and a lot more than that. From what whoever has released so far it supports the claim that HL2 wasn't even close to making it's Sept 30th deadline. The build that was leaked is buggy and dated 4 days before the 30th.

Quote:
Here is an example of how silly you sound. You made the remark that NV could have profited by this leak. Thus by your logic, since NV has not deined it it must be true?
I don't get how you connect those two like that. There is actual evidence supporting what Anon said and Valve has NOT denied any of it, I still ain't been able to find anything concrete to tie nVidia to the leak.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Old 10-10-03, 01:38 PM   #45
Brewskie

By what I remember the presenter during the E3 video was saying the NPCs were not being scripted during the barricade sequence....as they were taking cover and coming around the corner. I don't think they mentioned anywhere that the door wasn't scripted.

No one can say how much was lost by Valve. How much would a car manufacturer lose if plans to a hyper-secret prototype were to get leaked. There's just noway to tell exact figures....but you can bet your ass they have a loss.

And I agree that Steam is the most likely reason for the delay.

Brewskie
PcGamingNetworks
Old 10-10-03, 01:41 PM   #46
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by Brewskie

And I agree that Steam is the most likely reason for the delay.
Ding. Major change in distribution. Of course it's going to take a long time to get it working right.

Old 10-10-03, 02:22 PM   #47
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Yeah, it's been proven that someone stole the code and a lot more than that.
Yeap I agree that something was stolen.

Quote:
From what whoever has released so far it supports the claim that HL2 wasn't even close to making it's Sept 30th deadline.
So these people that stoled the code make abolute shure they had the most updated code and they did not steal some developement test code right? Just as a side note. I have 3 versions of chaos in developemnt at the same time. All of it for different set of test cases. If one lowly mod can do that, then what about a major company? Again not saying this is the case but most others are ASSUMING it is the case...

Quote:
The build that was leaked is buggy and dated 4 days before the 30th.
Wasnt the delay offically annouced on the 24th? Didnt Gabe say they noticed wierd stuff happening on the 19th? Neither of those dates agree with the 4 days before crap. Do you know how easy it is to change the data on a ver comand? How many faked 3dmark screens have you seen? If you had the source, then you can put just about any date you want there. Since it was stolen before the 26, then its impossible to have that date in there unless vale predates their builds. Once again we assume that info is 10000% correct.

Quote:
There is actual evidence supporting what Anon said and Valve has NOT denied any of it, I still ain't been able to find anything concrete to tie nVidia to the leak.
So has it been proven the this person that posted it is the one who stoled it?? And no offense to Anon but unless he is an AI expert I doubt highly what he says. Again I am not an AI expert but I have written over 500 lines of AI code for our modes. I make use of some scripted events all the time. Can you look at my unreal code and tell me which is which????
Old 10-10-03, 02:28 PM   #48
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinJim
Don't forget ATi! One word: quack3.exe
Quack was one time mistake and ATI officialy apologiesd , fixed it same week so i stand correct Valve and Nvidia are bad guys here