Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-03, 03:21 PM   #49
oldsk00l

Valve will do what Valve will do.

I don't hear any blood curdling screams over Doom3.

I will be looking for the beta, and sharing it on Kazaa or bittorrent at every avenue I have.

I believe in the simplest explanation tends to be the correct one. The 30th rolleda round, valve simply needed a scapegoat to avoid being scrutinized. Oh well, HL2 is not the focus of our lives. I have kids, a job, and OTHER games to play that may be better. I don't care if HL2 NEVER ships, furthermore, I don't care if Valve PROMISES it to ship, and then just says "we're not interested in doing it, we have erased all forms of HL2 from our network and it no longer exists anywhere"

WHO CARES

I don't care if it is %.0000019623845967244675532891 faster overall on an ATI card than an NV card. I don't care if it has ugly monsters or hot naked chicks in it. I furthermore do not care if it ever sees light of day. The reason I don't care is because it doesn't affect me unless it gets released and then I go part with fifty bucks to have it...once it is possible to buy it, THEN I care about how articulately a monster can kick a door in using a virtual neural network of AI, or if it's just scripted but the game is still fun. I don't care one way, or the other. Just as long as it's loads of fun, pleasing to my eyes, and makes me feel like I spent my money on it. But the fact is, until you shell out for it you have NO REASON TO COMPLAIN NONE WHATSOEVER. NO JUSTIFIABLE REASON TO COMPLAIN AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

If they lie, cheat, have 20 mistresses, and do nothing against the law....then you have no room to say they owe you anything. Once law is violated, then you only have 2 cents because of the public trust, but as far as I can tell that hasn't happened...maybe TO them, but not from them.

Save your reservations until you've paid for it. Otherwise it just looks childish.
Old 10-10-03, 06:47 PM   #50
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Quack was one time mistake and ATI officialy apologiesd , fixed it same week so i stand correct Valve and Nvidia are bad guys here
What happened on the 27th May 2003? Oh, yes..!

Quote:
Reported by The Register
ATI has admitted that it tweaked its Catalyst drivers to generate better 3DMark 03 scores and said that it will remove the modifications before the next release of the drivers.
I particularly like Digit-Life's conclusion...

Quote:
Reported by Digit-Life
In the disputes around the 3DMark2003 ATI took a position of a hurt child and was inconsistent in its actions: first it repented and promised to remove its optimizations saying that their programmers never used any rendering tricks to get higher scores in benchmarks, then they promised to optimize the drivers to catch up with the impious competitor.
I'm not a nVidia fanboy OR an ATi fanboy - but this is another "one-time mistake" by ATi. Which means they've been caught at least as many times as nVidia. I realise that this was several months ago, you might have only developed a real interest in the graphics card industry a couple of months ago, but do you "stand correct"? Nah, sit down . And Valve are definitely MY bad guys this month, too .

And as for YOU, Glowstick... PLEASE!!! You're doing it to wind me up, now! 'A LOT' is TWO words!!!
Old 10-10-03, 07:06 PM   #51
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I agree with the thief, it was nowhere near complete.

Another thing - anyone seen it running? FSAA works FINE!!!! So all that garbage they told us about how FSAA wouldn't work in current graphics cards and we all need to buy next gen cards from ATI and nVidia for the game was crap!... what were they planning to do? add a little thing in the code at the last minute to break FSAA?

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
Old 10-10-03, 07:08 PM   #52
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
I agree with the thief, it was nowhere near complete.

Another thing - anyone seen it running? FSAA works FINE!!!! So all that garbage they told us about how FSAA wouldn't work in current graphics cards and we all need to buy next gen cards from ATI and nVidia for the game was crap!... what were they planning to do? add a little thing in the code at the last minute to break FSAA?
nah, they said it would have artifacts like with all lightmap-using games. Which is just about everything... so, yes, it's Gary McTaggart striking back for the death of 3dfx.

Old 10-10-03, 07:16 PM   #53
SuLinUX

Valve, say, BUFFER OVERFLOW,

And repeat after me, I - must - not - use - outlook - express - ever - again.

AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
Old 10-10-03, 07:40 PM   #54
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinJim
What happened on the 27th May 2003? Oh, yes..!

I particularly like Digit-Life's conclusion...

I'm not a nVidia fanboy OR an ATi fanboy - but this is another "one-time mistake" by ATi. Which means they've been caught at least as many times as nVidia. I realise that this was several months ago, you might have only developed a real interest in the graphics card industry a couple of months ago, but do you "stand correct"? Nah, sit down . And Valve are definitely MY bad guys this month, too .

And as for YOU, Glowstick... PLEASE!!! You're doing it to wind me up, now! 'A LOT' is TWO words!!!

Wrong in 3dmark there was optimization but ATI got 5% gain and no loss in IQ and or cliping problems in dev version of 3dmark , while Nvidia got 30% plus lower IQ and dev version of 3dmark had clipping problems makeing it useless !

Nvidia is far worse then ATI ever was.
Old 10-11-03, 12:59 AM   #55
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinJim
No it aint.
Old 10-11-03, 01:39 AM   #56
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

I can't help but wonder that if the game was nowhere near finished, then just what did nVidia use to create their special drivers for HL2? Why would they even bother writing special drivers had they not at least had a build of the game benchmark?

Do you guys really think the source code was only on that particular computer? Do you think all the developers take turns at the keyboard? I can guarantee all the computers had source code on them as each person developing the game would be working on a seperate part of the game. Just because the source code was incomplete does not mean the entire game is incomplete. This particular piece of code could be from the developer that was working on the internet code or something special that person was testing. Each developer will be working on a seperate module for the game and the seperate modules are all put together to form the full game. Some programmers work on the internet code, some on the sound code, some on the graphics code, etc. The only people that would not have source code are the people working on creating maps and textures. They don't need source code as all they do is use the pre-compiled map creator.

Just what possible motive would Valve have for faking their game release? Why would ATI pay them for a fake game release and piss off their customers that will not be receiving the game? And why would nVidia play along and 'pretend' to create special drivers for HL2? You would also have to believe all the reviewers that benchmarked HL2 were lieing to you and just pretended to have the benchmark. Also, nVidia was just pretending to send them some 'special' fake Det 5x drivers to use for the pretend benchmark for their pretend game.

Last edited by ChrisW; 10-11-03 at 01:58 AM.

Old 10-11-03, 02:54 AM   #57
Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I can't help but wonder that if the game was nowhere near finished, then just what did nVidia use to create their special drivers for HL2? Why would they even bother writing special drivers had they not at least had a build of the game benchmark?
IHVs will often help in the development of games, particulary CPU and GPU makers. The help, which is naturally intented to make the game run well on their hardware, comes in various forms. The simplest is sending the IHV a beta version of the game. They evaluate it, often with special monitoring tools and provide feed back on ways to optimise the code. Another way is to send portions of the source code, such as critically performing CPU code, or GPU shader code as appropriate. Sometimes representatives may visit a developer on site and even help write code. In HL2 case, (according to The Inquirer's alegations) an ATI programmers name was on lots of HL2 source code/files. So obviously this person had direct access and contributed significantly to optimising the code (presumably for graphics performance and effects).

Quote:
Do you guys really think the source code was only on that particular computer? [/b]
The source code on each developers machine will often be different on a day by day basis. I don't know how the source was stolen, it's possible the thief grabbed the source control database, or merely a single persons machine? Either way, the source would be relatively up to date. If a project is near complete, or classified as 'beta' then the code has matured and will be touched only when necessary, sometimes the database is locked at this time, to prevent bugs being accidentaly introduced.

Quote:
Do you think all the developers take turns at the keyboard?
[/b]
They do sometimes, it's a great way to code! But only useful for at certain times during development. It may seem inefficient, but two programmers to a keyboard produce much higher quality code (assuming they can work together).

Quote:
Just what possible motive would Valve have for faking their game release? Why would ATI pay them for a fake game release and piss off their customers that will not be receiving the game?
[/b]
Yes, All these conspiracy theories are completly crazy. It's a pity the treads that suggest them aren't deleted. Allegations out of thin air. Nothing special happening here, just the usual business practices of exageration, deception and a few lies by all parties.

By the way, the difference between a project that IS finished, and one that looks finished, is about 50% of the development time :O
Old 10-11-03, 03:37 AM   #58
ReDeeMeR
The Guy Next Door *wink*

Send a message via ICQ to ReDeeMeR

Well I upgraded just because of HL2, 2200XP ran everything fine, sure I can run WC3 on 8x speed now without hickups, but it's wasted, cause now they will surely "updated" stuff and the system requirments will go even higher, I normaly dont upgrade before game comes out, but THEY ****IN' said it will meet Sep30 shedule 99% SO WTF?! Good thing I didnt buy a new GPU, by the time those ****s(Doom3 HL2) will come out today's GPU's will be out dated and both assholes Carmack and Newell will sing some bull**** again like: NV40 is the card to play Doom3/R400 is the targeted hardware for HL2, buy it! ......same as with current stuff, those sons of bitches get payed to lie to us! So I really have no pity for Valve, first there was steam then Xmas delay now 2004 April? HL2 is now officialy a vaporeware in my list till it's installed on my PC, tired of all the HL2 drama

Back to enjoy UFO:Aftermach, ToEE, AOM:Titans, Simcity4:RH(proly going to return it, pretty much same game, the driving mode sucks ass).
Old 10-11-03, 05:49 AM   #59
Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by ReDeeMeR
........ Good thing I didnt buy a new GPU, by the time those ****s(Doom3 HL2) will come out today's GPU's will be out dated and both assholes Carmack and Newell will sing some bull**** again like: NV40 is the card to play Doom3/R400 is the targeted hardware for HL2, buy it! ........
LOL, you're absolutely right. Remember that Doom3 was first shown to launch the Geforce3!
Old 10-11-03, 07:40 AM   #60
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
By the way, the difference between a project that IS finished, and one that looks finished, is about 50% of the development time :O
Surely the developers might have some clue that this is the case, though?

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Wrong in 3dmark there was optimization but ATI got 5% gain and no loss in IQ and or cliping problems in dev version of 3dmark , while Nvidia got 30% plus lower IQ and dev version of 3dmark had clipping problems makeing it useless !
If they got no loss in IQ and no clipping problems, then surely they weren't cheating? Makes me wonder why they apologised and removed the 'optimisations' in their very next drivers.

I know it was a long time ago, but surely only an ATi fanboy would have such a rosy image of the past! In Quake3 (an actual GAME), ATi cheated. In 3DMark03, ATi cheated, and nVidia cheated more.

Of course, 3DMark03 IQ doesn't really affect playing performance because, uh, it's not a game! And I can't remember nVidia getting caught for cheating with optimisations for an actual game. So it's easily possible to argue in favour of nVidia, one might say. Not me, of course, I think they're both equally bad when it comes to morality.

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
No it aint.
Yes 'tis.
Closed Thread