Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-06-03, 12:44 PM   #157
Riptide

How do you switch grenades? In other words, if you are carrying a frag grenade and a plasma grenade how do you tell it to throw the plasma grenades instead of the frag grenades? It defaults to throwing frag grenades I think..

BTW, nice tip. That would certainly be a good way to combat the warthog running around the base crushing everyone: just toss a plasma on it and BOOM!
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-03, 01:07 PM   #158
Edge
3d animator for hire!

There's a button bound to switching grenade types. I'm not sure what the default is, but I switched it to G.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-03, 04:42 PM   #159
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by Riptide
How do you switch grenades?
As Edge said, there's a key binding for it, I think the default is G.

Quote:
BTW, nice tip. That would certainly be a good way to combat the warthog running around the base crushing everyone: just toss a plasma on it and BOOM!
Yeah, it's especially handy since rocket launchers and weapons like that aren't strewn about in large numbers (which is A Good Thing IMHO).

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 11:41 AM   #160
Riptide

Holy Hell!! This game gets frickin difficult when you turn up the difficulty even a single notch. I just started playing single player again except this time on the second toughest difficulty level (one up from default) and you take damage much easier. It is a genuine difficult task to make progress now.

Anyone read any of the books like fall of reach? I've been reading through HALO:FOR this weekend and find it to be entertaining. Fills in some of the blanks on how the spartans came about, how reach was located, etc..
Old 11-12-03, 11:45 AM   #161
RAST
<>

Quote:
Anyone read any of the books like fall of reach? I've been reading through HALO:FOR this weekend and find it to be entertaining. Fills in some of the blanks on how the spartans came about, how reach was located, etc..
Once you read the book some of the cut-scenes make more sense and I found a greater appreciation for the plot. You could just play HALO as a FPS and be done with it. But the real beauty of the game is that there is so much background. Way more than the usual "space marine FPS."
RAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 12:51 PM   #162
Riptide

One thing I found intersting was that we weren't losing so much because of our ground troops: they were fairly effective, even the regular marines. The problem was that our cruisers, destroyers, frigates, etc. couldn't hang with the covenant plasma weapons. The best we could do was the MAC cannon: some sort of magnetic/rail gun that was able to penetrate their shielding and do massive damage. Problem was that it usually took several hits to disable the covenant vessels and the weapon took a while to recharge for another shot. They'd usually cream us before our fleet could do much damage to them.
Old 11-12-03, 01:46 PM   #163
Vash
Angel Arms

I had tFoR, but now I can't find it....

stupid moving boxes...
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 11:33 AM   #164
Riptide

I finished Halo: The Flood over the weekend. I personally found TFoR to be more interesting mainly because I had already finished the game when I read The Flood. It pretty much covers the story you already saw in the game so there weren't many surprises.

One very interesting thing I noted from The Flood: it explains what happened to the rest of the marines that were on Halo when it blew. They ended up re-taking the covenant cruiser Truth and Reconciliation in an attempt to escape Halo before it blew while at the same time capturing one of the covenant's cruisers. A great plan, but the ambitious major in charge decided he wanted to bring some of the flood back to earth for study (they knew flood was on the ship still). One of the more intelligent officers on the ship realized the madness in that and sabotaged the cruiser causing it to blow up before it left Halo, taking the rest of the humans with it.

Old 11-25-03, 11:32 PM   #165
RAST
<>

Quote:
Holy Hell!! This game gets frickin difficult when you turn up the difficulty even a single notch. I just started playing single player again except this time on the second toughest difficulty level (one up from default) and you take damage much easier. It is a genuine difficult task to make progress now.
He he. I just tried going through on the next notch up - I forgot what it's called. Wow. I get wasted on the covenant cruiser in that room where there are the tons and tons of covenant and the marine pellican comes in. Any way I can't get past that room now.

RAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 10:55 PM   #166
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Time to dig a thread out of oblivion. Now that my PC situation has straightened itself out, I finally finished this damn game. I realized that there's a reason I got rid of it on my Xbox and it had nothing to do with the controller situation. Aside from the piss-poor performance, as was mentioned previously, this game gets bloody freaking hard. Multiplayer is of no use to me and I won't give two ***** of a rat's behind if/when the coop mode gets released.

I don't even know why I finished it because I uninstalled it immediately afterward and when I have a free moment during my time off work this week I'm going to trade it in at EB. Use that money as my deposit for Doom 3.

There are few games that I truly despise, and this is one of them. Part of me really wanted to like this, especially since this is a game I've followed since the PC Accelerator days. But after hours of running around in circles through the same levels like an idiot, I've come to understand exactly what this game is - something that I'm going to chalk up on the board of crap console ports. While GTA3 falls into that category as well, at least that game was fun to play. Halo was not.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 11:47 PM   #167
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default ...

heh, I really don't see why so many complain about the performance...

- runs fine on a GF2ti @ 8x6
- runs fine on a GF3 @ 8x6
- runs fine on a GF4ti @ 8x6
- runs fine on a 350/515 5600 @ 8x6
- runs fine @ 10x7 on a 5600U
- runs fine @ 10x7 on a 5900

IMO the game's tweakable enough to enjoy on a wide variety of vidcards...

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 11:55 PM   #168
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by ragejg
heh, I really don't see why so many complain about the performance...
Perhaps had it been done properly (y'know like I'm sure what Bungie wanted to do before the switch to Xbox) then we wouldn't have these problems. I don't think being able to get 30-40 fps consistently at 1280x1024 on a 9800 Pro w/o AA or AF is out of the question considering that Halo's engine is quite a bit more than a year old.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote