Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-03, 12:40 PM   #73
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally posted by Pafet
what? what? and what?

anyways I saw those sites last time you posted them and it seems interesting enough. Its just that INGAME, there is not much to it. compare this to, say, DeusEx where through the entire game you're being shoved with information about the world you're in whith even newspapers and books lying around...

As for Halo - you crash on a strange ring in space, learn what it is and go away, while fighting gizmos in the process

It is very true that ingame, Halo's story isn't very intricate. It doesn't do a lot of twists or turns (that I've seen yet - just started The Library). I'm glad you took the time to see the Halo and Marathon websites - I don't know a lot of people who would.

Don't worry about my sig or "Kill Your Television" or "a friend of a friend". It's not something to ache over. I've spent a lot of time over on the Marathon and Halo story pages - there is a lot of stuff buried in the games' stories (M and H, but mostly M), and it's fun to dig it up. I appreciate the story that much more, but if Bungie wanted it to be accessible to everyone, then they would have put it out there for everyone to see. Didn't mean to jump the gun.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 01:21 PM   #74
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Quote:
Originally posted by Sotos
From what i heard is good game but not that good

Probably was way OVERHYPED with the Xbox version

The alien enemies are somehow Childish made as from what i heard

Anyway is a fun game but not ONE OF THE BEST
From what you've heard?

Why don't you play it THEN comment?

Childish? No. Differant? Definatly. All of the characters have a personality. Yes, the grunt's are cowards. But I guarantee you won't have that to say about The Flood.
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 01:38 PM   #75
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally posted by intercede007
<snip>...But I guarantee you won't have that to say about The Flood.
OMG, No SH*T!

I was crapping my pants when they showed up....ewww...

*******SPOILER ALERT*******
Talk about Alien and The Thing combined....That whole sequence of finding that soldier's chip and playing back his recording..and the THEY show up...Man, I just loved how the walls would be painted in alien fluids and the bodies kept piling up. Gotta love that shotgun... I was like "Eyahhhhhh!!!!! Get away!! BLAM! BLAM!" <shudder> OMG...and that soldier who had lost it!
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 02:29 PM   #76
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally posted by RoachMojo
OMG, No SH*T!

I was crapping my pants when they showed up....ewww...

*******SPOILER ALERT*******
Talk about Alien and The Thing combined....That whole sequence of finding that soldier's chip and playing back his recording..and the THEY show up...Man, I just loved how the walls would be painted in alien fluids and the bodies kept piling up. Gotta love that shotgun... I was like "Eyahhhhhh!!!!! Get away!! BLAM! BLAM!" <shudder> OMG...and that soldier who had lost it!
Unfortunately, thats were the imagination of the map designers ended. Did you ever feel at this point like you ran through the same damn circular room 5 times in a row?

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 02:32 PM   #77
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I think the aliens are kind of childish. Those little guys say in a high pitch voice "eeek... fleeee!" then run over to one of the larger blue creatures and say "hey.. wake up... wake up... he's here" and the blue guy says "huh? wa?"... then you throw a grenade and they go flying. Its more comical than anything, sort of like the combat in MDK or MDK2... still fun to play though

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 02:35 PM   #78
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
Unfortunately, thats were the imagination of the map designers ended. Did you ever feel at this point like you ran through the same damn circular room 5 times in a row?
Yeah, that was kinda blah, but I was still enjoying it much more than Unreal2.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 02:51 PM   #79
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
Or could that just be a console design limitation.
Old 10-06-03, 02:57 PM   #80
sebazve

the game is really fun, master chief attitude rock!
im more into gameplay than gfx. But it does suffer from some low res crappy textures probably due it is a console port where memory is not something you can waste.

it is a real cool game especially after all the crap FPS we have played on the past months.

Old 10-06-03, 03:35 PM   #81
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Or could that just be a console design limitation.
On today's modern consoles? I doubt it, but who knows?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 04:07 PM   #82
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Anyway, Halo PC reminds me of WinXP...
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 04:18 PM   #83
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Actually, all the level design shortcomings were because they had to wrap the game up in 6 months on the Xbox version. I think they had an interview with some of the people from Bungie, and they said that they had to reuse a few parts of the levels and things like that because they didn't have enough time to come up with totally new levels without cutting out a lot of gameplay. That's why the Assault on the Control Room level is repeated later except in reverse and with different enemies and only slightly modified arcitecture. I'm pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with console limitations, since it just loaded all of the maps from the harddrive anyway.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that the textures look "bad" because it's a 2 year old game, not to mention it was designed for 640x480 resolution. Look at any FPS from 2 years ago and I'm sure you'll find the textures are just as bad if not worse then Halo's, and they probably don't use nearly as much bump mapping. I think Halo stands up suprisingly well given it's age and origin.

Luckly with Halo 2 they have all the time they need, so I think the level design and graphics will be much improved over Halo 1. Some parts almost look as good as Doom 3.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 05:14 PM   #84
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Luckly with Halo 2 they have all the time they need, so I think the level design and graphics will be much improved over Halo 1. Some parts almost look as good as Doom 3.
I've heard that Halo 2 might not make it to the PC.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote