Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-03, 05:29 PM   #85
SocketAzzWipe
Long Live The Crowbar

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
Anyway, Halo PC reminds me of WinXP...

Yeah, after some tweakage and it's flawless.
SocketAzzWipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 05:52 PM   #86
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I've heard that Halo 2 might not make it to the PC.
Oh, well actually I was refering to the Xbox version, heh. I'm not sure if they'll ever bring Halo 2 to the PC, since the Xbox version is going to have online play there won't be as much of a reason to bring out a PC version. Not to mention with Halo 1 I think Bungie had some deal with MS where they made them allow a PC version of Halo to be made, but now Halo 2 is a totally MS-dictated product. Oh well, maybe they'll port it to PC 2 years after it's released like the first Halo. So that would mean Halo 2 PC would come out...early 2006. Well, hope you have other games to play until then
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 06:00 PM   #87
SocketAzzWipe
Long Live The Crowbar

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Oh, well actually I was refering to the Xbox version, heh. I'm not sure if they'll ever bring Halo 2 to the PC, since the Xbox version is going to have online play there won't be as much of a reason to bring out a PC version. Not to mention with Halo 1 I think Bungie had some deal with MS where they made them allow a PC version of Halo to be made, but now Halo 2 is a totally MS-dictated product. Oh well, maybe they'll port it to PC 2 years after it's released like the first Halo. So that would mean Halo 2 PC would come out...early 2006. Well, hope you have other games to play until then
Or just buy the bloody Xbox which is pretty dirt cheap nowadays anyway.
SocketAzzWipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 06:04 PM   #88
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Yup, you can bet on Microsoft launching it for X-box 2 (?) first, hype it, milk it as much as they can, then show their magnanimity by releasing a (2-year delayed and a tad dated) PC port for the PC community. If they plan to do that same **** they did with Halo PC, i know who's not gonna buy it: Me

IMO, if Bungie wants to make a (really) great game, perhaps they should start considering a sequel to ONI.
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 06:15 PM   #89
The Baron

But dude, Oni sucked. If it had multiplayer, better controls, and better missions, well then, we'd have a contender. Oh, and a better plot... a plot worthy of Bungie.
Old 10-06-03, 07:03 PM   #90
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

I disagree. ONI's weakest point has to be the "empty" levels. And that "you can only carry one gun in your inventory" was stupid. For me multiplayer is not that important (look at Deus Ex, not many complained for its lack of MP, that patch probably came as a bonus to them). ONI had a lot of potential. The kicks, punches, combos were great (true, controls were weird but you would get used to them eventually). I can easily remember that and Urban Chaos when it comes to beat-em-ups for PC (OK, and Fighting Force).
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP

Last edited by NAZCA M12; 10-06-03 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 09:30 PM   #91
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
And that "you can only carry one gun in your inventory" was stupid.
But it's more "realistic" than any other shoot 'em up third and first person game.

However, this brings me to something else that pisses me off about this game. While I was playing tonight I remembered - the Serious Sam-esque number of enemies, combined with the lack of ability to carry anything but two weapons and one stinking health kit and/or overshield in any given area where you get bombarded with enemies. Case and point - the Covenant battleship near the beginning of the game. The room is kind of divided in half and on two levels. You get swarmed with enemies from the bottom, you have guys shooting at you from the top, then your reinforcements come in - fat lot of good it does because half of 'em die within a few seconds. When you finish that part, you move over to the other side of the room with even more enemies and two of those big, huge guys. By the time they come out, I'm down to one health bar after having tried to duck and cover, which is nay impossible because you're getting shot from every conceivable angle. And this is all on normal difficulty.

Man, the more I play this, the more sorry I am I bought it.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-03, 10:14 PM   #92
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Sure sure, it's just a matter of how much realism you want in a game or how much you're willing to accept it. A game is usually fictional in a way, sometimes it requires you to "accept" certain things/rules so that you can carry on and enjoy it. For example, Lara Croft can't possibly carry all the stuff she usually has in a small bag can she? Likewise, you're most likely to die with one shot in reality, however in most FPS games you don't. I know, it's not reallistic, but you have to pretend it is. Usually you can have an inventory full of weapons (well, at least more than one ) and i kinda found that annoying. In short, what is realistic in the ONI world, is unrealistic in another game.

As for SS, it's all about reflexes. I'm no slouch in a FPS but i had the same thing happen to me in SS1 and 2 many times. I know what you mean. At least If they could have some good hiding places, i reckon i should be able to do sth (see avatar).

Old 10-07-03, 02:10 AM   #93
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
I was just playing around with the timedemo and discovered that Halo defaults to shaders=2.0 on my nvidia card and defaults to shaders=1.4 on my ATI card. Anyone know why that is? It seems to me it should be the other way around with the nvidia card defaulting to 1.4 and the ATI card defaulting to 2.0. I haven't tried the ultra with 1.4 but the change in framerates for the ATI card were minimal going from 1.4 to 2.0 (like 33.xx fps vs 32.xx fps).
That's actually really interesting. And it basically clarifies what someone said earlier.
Old 10-07-03, 06:01 AM   #94
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
...combined with the lack of ability to carry anything but two weapons and one stinking health kit and/or overshield in any given area where you get bombarded with enemies...

What do you mean carry a health kit ?

about theLibrary level again, frustration from not knowing where you are and a flood of enemies non-stop, is sometimes part of the game. maybe they wanted you to feae lost.
The only thing i missed in that level is that elevator part - it was SCREAMING for the flood to come pouring from the walls!! a long elevator shaft while the flood comes by the millions would RULE!!!!111!!
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 08:32 AM   #95
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pafet
What do you mean carry a health kit ?
Misworded that, sorry. I meant there's only one health kit available for you to pick up in a lot of the levels where you get swarmed.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 08:38 AM   #96
Vash
Angel Arms

I played a lot of Halo yesterday... and I gotta say, The Library still sucks just as much on the PC as it does on the X-box. At least on the X-box I was playing co-op!

But I got through it and despite the frustration, I enjoyed myself. The last section where 343GS opens the final door and you have to move into the last elevator kicked me in the nuts several times until I collected the weapons I needed (rocket launcher, pistol, shotgun and many, many grenades) and dropped 'em near the entrance.

I really wish that MS hadn't leaned on Bungie to get this out the door early - I'd really have liked to see what the Library would have looked like.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote