Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-03, 09:40 AM   #1
digitalwanderer

Question Anyone know anything about MaxPayne2?

The game sort of snuck up on me and I just realized I have no clue if it's a dx8 or dx9 game, what it's about, or anything!

Anyone heard anything? I'm dying to play it!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 10:11 AM   #2
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

dx8

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 10:25 AM   #3
Vash
Angel Arms

Really? Dx8? That's awesome! Granted, it'd be cool to have some Dx9 goodness in there, but this means my GF4 will be able to pull off all the graphical goodies.

The only thing I know about the game is that Max has decided to work for the police dept again, and that it involves characters from the first game, and there's a love story in there, too.

Come on, 15th!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 10:35 AM   #4
digitalwanderer

Woo-hoo! Sounds great, I can't wait!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 10-10-03, 02:12 PM   #5
Omega53

Ok here's what I've found out so far. His love interest ends up being the head person behind whoever he is trying to stop. Then she ends up getting killed by max in an accident. He then finds out she was really a man and commits suicide.
Venice 3000+ 64 @ [COLOR=Red]2.5ghz (278 FSB)[/COLOR]
1 GiG Cosair XMS 2.5-3-3-6 @ [COLOR=Blue]230Mhz[/COLOR]
19" Viewsonic G90f
[URL="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1275491"]8600 3D Mark 05[/URL]
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 02:25 PM   #6
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Radeon9700
Ok here's what I've found out so far. His love interest ends up being the head person behind whoever he is trying to stop. Then she ends up getting killed by max in an accident. He then finds out she was really a man and commits suicide.
LOL!! I thought that was the storyline for the expansion pack?

Can't wait till this ships next week, give me a break from the HL2 soap opera....
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 02:47 PM   #7
AthlonXP1800

Default Re: Anyone know anything about MaxPayne2?

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
The game sort of snuck up on me and I just realized I have no clue if it's a dx8 or dx9 game, what it's about, or anything!

Anyone heard anything? I'm dying to play it!
Quote:
Originally posted by darkmiasma
dx8
Well I dont think it use DirectX 8, I believed it use DirectX 9 because the game use shaders and Havok 2.0 physics engine just the same thing with Half Life 2.

Quote below found on May Payne 2 interview from Slacknews:

Quote:
Petri Järvilehto: To be honest, we are not big fans of reciting technical feature bullet point lists. Don’t get me wrong – we think that the tech is outstanding and we are thrilled with the visuals and graphical leaps made - however, in the end it is how the technology is used that matters.

To sum it up, we basically started out by taking the game engine apart and then rewriting big chunks of it. The radiosity lighting has been completely re-written, we got rid of all of the old AI code and took the AI to a new level of sophistication, and the texture resolutions and polycounts have been boosted to lot higher levels. All of the skins are now using DX shaders (so yes, light reflects properly on the eyes) which makes a world of difference on the lighting if you have the hardware that can take advantage of it. Also, we’ve taken the particle systems much further.

We’ve also fully integrated Havok 2.0 physics engine. The physical objects are also totally material dependent, so solid metal objects will really look, behave and sound heavy when they hit different surfaces and so on. The impact has been awesome and we’ve been able to bring most things into the physics simulation so objects are no longer static … it’s just cool, we’re getting a lot of kicks out of playing around with the physics.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 03:23 PM   #8
digitalwanderer

Quote:
All of the skins are now using DX shaders (so yes, light reflects properly on the eyes) which makes a world of difference on the lighting if you have the hardware that can take advantage of it.
Uhm....not meaning to flame or provoke, but does that mean that the R3xx will have an advantage over the NV3x in MP2 too?
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Old 10-10-03, 03:55 PM   #9
DMA
Zzzleepy

This game will rock..hard

If you haven't seen the new trailer (released two days ago), so go ahead and watch it

2 minutes video with cool action here (48 MB) .
I guess they just love the Havoc engine

Well worth the download.
Old 10-10-03, 03:58 PM   #10
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
Uhm....not meaning to flame or provoke, but does that mean that the R3xx will have an advantage over the NV3x in MP2 too?
Not particularly. Depends if they've used any features currently lacking on NV cards. If its heavy in PS2.0 calculations (Unlikely IMO) then it may be faster on ATI cards thats all.

P.S. Cor. check my posts count.. heh..
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 04:08 PM   #11
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Not likely, depends on whether nVIDIA or ATI have a 6 million USD deal with Remedy I'm getting sick of this
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 04:37 PM   #12
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

Default Re: Re: Anyone know anything about MaxPayne2?

Quote:
Originally posted by AthlonXP1800
Well I dont think it use DirectX 8, I believed it use DirectX 9 because the game use shaders and Havok 2.0 physics engine just the same thing with Half Life 2.

Quote below found on May Payne 2 interview from Slacknews:
Right in the shacknews interview it says "we basically started out by taking the game engine apart and then rewriting big chunks of it."

Which means its still DX8

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote