Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-03, 04:51 PM   #13
AthlonXP1800

Default Re: Re: Re: Anyone know anything about MaxPayne2?

Quote:
Originally posted by darkmiasma
Right in the shacknews interview it says "we basically started out by taking the game engine apart and then rewriting big chunks of it."

Which means its still DX8
Quote:
texture resolutions and polycounts have been boosted to lot higher levels
Do it ring any bells?

Do you remember back in GTA: Vice City interview stated that the PC version will have higher texture resolutions, that are the features build in DirectX 9 require.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 05:01 PM   #14
OWA

From various articles in gaming mags, they say it looks amazing but it didn't sound like they had gotten to test gameplay b/c they made comments like "here's hoping it plays as good as it looks".

They also said they've stylized the action even more to make it match the cinematic style presentation or something to that effect. If you want a direct quote I'll look through the article again.

I'm looking forward to it. It's the only game I've actually finished in recent memory (although I had to cheat through probably the last third of it just to complete it).
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 05:22 PM   #15
OWA

Here is some info from one of the mags...

- game combat highly polished to enhance the game's cinematic style shootouts

- enemies are supposed to land on objects properly so if you kill someone near a railing they may fall and bend over the railing like a normal person might or roll down stairs if shot by the stairs

- objects in the environment can be destroyed so be careful what you hide behind

- enemy AI has been improved so they don't instinctively know where you are but have to hunt you down based on where you were last heard or seen

- npcs will take cover and avoid danger (from flames and grenades and stuff).

They have seen some impressive screenshots but for the most part, the info is just tidbits given to them by Rockstar.

New: Havok physics engine, enemies react to the environments realistically, crashing through scaffolds, twisting over ledges, etc.

Example: you shot some guy in bullet time and while still in slo-mo you hit him with more bullets thus changing his direction, etc.

They're saying the in-game cinematics are impressive. Less characters but better development, similar length to the original.

Overall, everyone seems to have gotten screenshots and say it looks impressive but no one seems to have gotten to test it. That seems a little strange since it is supposed to be released at the end of October (according to the mags).

None of the previews I've seen talk about directx 8 or 9 or anything to the technical aspects of the game other than mentioning the havok engine.

Edit: found a longer preview in CG and they say it looks amazing "with greatly improved lighting effects capable of real-time shadows, cubemapping, and a realistic physics back-bone thanks to a little help from licensed Havok technology". They also mention that during the bullet-time the effects have been greatly exaggerated making it very dramatic.

Okay, still no real details just more nuggets of generalities.

Last edited by OWA; 10-10-03 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-10-03, 05:26 PM   #16
digitalwanderer

I remember reading something also now about how bullet-time was tweaked a touch. The more people you kill while in bullet-time extends the bullet-time, it's meant to encourage people to play the game like Max Payne rather than hanging back and plinking people off.

I'm VERY enthused about this now, I gotta go download that clip and start drooling!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 05:34 PM   #17
OWA

Wow, wow, wow, DW, 5000 posts!!! Congrats. They need to give you a 5K pin or something. That's an impressive number.
Old 10-10-03, 05:43 PM   #18
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Wow, wow, wow, DW, 5000 posts!!! Congrats. They need to give you a 5K pin or something. That's an impressive number.
Gads, really? I kind of find it embarressing actually.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 08:07 PM   #19
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
They're saying the in-game cinematics are impressive. Less characters but better development, similar length to the original.
Aaaargh! I hope the length was referring to the in-game cinematics rather than the game's duration cause i've...

...i've read that the devs heard the complains about the game being too short and that the length on 2 would be double the one of MP1. After the events of MP1 he returns to his old job of being a detective. Then Max meets an old "friend" of his (really now? ), the mysterious Mona Sax. Max and Sax (sounds about right to me), become VERY VERY close but she is connected somehow to the bad guys until she is thought of being suspicious of murder. I suppose that Max either cleans this mess with her aid, or accepts the blame himself in order to protect her and from then on, he finds himself in quite similar conditions to the first one. That's what i've heard
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 09:01 PM   #20
SuLinUX

Fricking yes, Max Payne is back, check to video's out
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-03, 09:25 PM   #21
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

one of the developers said in a forum that max payne does use some dx9 features
Old 10-10-03, 09:26 PM   #22
NickSpolec

Quote:
Gads, really? I kind of find it embarressing actually.
Yes, yes you should.

I signed up a month after you and have only something like 2 percent of the posts you have :P

Add those up with your post count from Rage3D and it equals one forum bum.

[size=1][list][*]AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ (@2.5ghz, 1.850v)[*]Albatron KX18D PRO (NForce 2 Ultra @227FSB)[*]512MB's OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL (@DDR454, CAS 2.5, 6,3,3)[*]GeForce3 (@230c, 460m)[*]Fortissimo III, Gamesurround 7.1[*]POS Intel 56k Modem (soon to get high speed, though)[*]Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 120GB, ATA133 (8mb)[*]Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x32x52x16x)[*]Lite-On LTR 16102B (16x8x40x)

[/size][/list]
NickSpolec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-03, 09:29 PM   #23
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Yes you will. There are some DX9 only features that boost the graphics.
Old 10-10-03, 11:59 PM   #24
AthlonXP1800

Oh my god! the movie clip looked so real as watching a movie.

I wonder what will happened to Max when he shot by a sniper, then here could be 1 of 2 versions of next Max Payne game called...

Max Payne 3: The Rise of Max Payne - The story is about Max is rise from his wound shot by a sniper and back to work as cop again.

or...

Max Payne 3: The Clone of Max Payne - The story is about 1 year later after Max was shot, unbeknown to him when he was shot, 4 CIA agents sealed off the area and took his blood sample for the US government's top secret cloning project to clone Max Payne, the CIA agents expected Max to die within an hour. But CIA plan not exactly gone as planned. Max is saved when the ambulance arrived the scene after CIA agents escaped. One day Max received the shock of his life when he bumped into another Max at police station, Max clone was charged with theft as he had no memory collection. Max find out the background and his job is to destroy the government's top secret cloning facility to prevent the human cloning.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote