Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-02, 02:14 PM   #1
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

Default Nforce experiences

Well if you bother to post:

I am getting one now , so i'd like to hear which one you have got, any problems/solutions, and if overclocked, etc.. how well did it go?

And how do you get dual channel DDR -do you have two slots whare you put DDR and than 128 bit controller takes over or... and is there any difference to games/apps when using dual DDR?
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 06:21 PM   #2
SavagePaladin
info*****

Abit nv7-133r
No problems at all not fixed by a BIOS update
Watch the heat though....of course....
Never tried overclocking. sys is hot as it is. (I used crappy parts....and this was my first time wit a newer machine.)

You have to populate the DIMM slots in order or it'll be crashy.
I only have one, so I can't say about speed increases. I'd guess they'd be slight, though. No clue.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-02, 07:14 PM   #3
rickster

Thumbs up

I also have the Abit NV7-133R, and it's a great board.
I have been able to OC my 1800+ to a 143 MHZ FSB with no problem (my cheap CPU heatsink and memory limits any further action.) www.newegg.com has this board available for $86 and you can't beat the price/feature/performance of it.
I like it so much I built a system just like it for my brother-in-law and he loves it too. It has been ROCK stable and is very fast. The sound output and speed with the latest v1.13 nForce drivers from Nvidia is incredible. Definitely get TWO 256Meg sticks so that you can use the dual-channel feature. It won't make it any faster, but under load with 5.1 sound and network activity and a game running, it won't slow down like a VIA board does. Definitely recommended.
Old 09-10-02, 08:05 PM   #4
pelly

I've used the MSI K7N420 motherboard for awhile....It was a great motherboard with good overclocking ability.....

If I were you though, I would honestly wait a month...by that time, nForce2 should be hitting the shelves and you can choose between a drastically cheaper nForce1, or a surprisingly affordable nForce2....

If you can wait a month, you will have a lot more options.....no matter what though, you're sure to be a happy camper with any nForce motherboard...

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-02, 06:08 AM   #5
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by pelly
If I were you though, I would honestly wait a month...by that time, nForce2 should be hitting the shelves.........
[/b]
It's the waiting that's driving me nuts.

"Timmaay... and The Lords of The Underworld"
Old 09-11-02, 11:26 AM   #6
SavagePaladin
info*****

They say boards should hit reviews late September and stores very early October now, I think

Dude, really, I'd wait too. More standard features, more to play with.
____
plus the obvious 'more efficient, better overclocking, better stability' but you knew that

Last edited by SavagePaladin; 09-11-02 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-11-02, 12:05 PM   #7
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
....Dude, really, I'd wait too. More standard features, more to play with......
Yes, I know. It's just having to play the latest and greatest on a p2-450 (though I do like it in that it's kept me going for this long) with geforce 2 mx (and 512 of ram which aint bad).
Old 09-11-02, 06:30 PM   #8
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by zoolap

Yes, I know. It's just having to play the latest and greatest on a p2-450 (though I do like it in that it's kept me going for this long) with geforce 2 mx (and 512 of ram which aint bad).
Ouch.
Well it'll still suck if you upgrade right before an important release, but I very much understand...
I went from an athlon 600 to a nforce w/ 1800+ a bit back.

Tough call, man. I'd still wait, but do what you want.

Old 09-12-02, 03:21 AM   #9
zoolap
GeHorse Ti4200

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin

Ouch.
Well it'll still suck if you upgrade right before an important release, but I very much understand...
I went from an athlon 600 to a nforce w/ 1800+ a bit back.

Tough call, man. I'd still wait, but do what you want.
Yeah, I'm still gonna wait. Hopefully it will be out soon (and reliable). Will probably go for something like an XP 2000+ (cheaper and less waiting than for xp 2400+ etc). Then the decision will be graphics card. If the NV30 is gonna be available before Christmas in UK then I'll probably wait for that (provided it's about 300 [approx. $466]). Otherwise I'll probably get a Ti4400 ViVO or if i can find one cheap enough a Ti4600 ViVo.

The other thing is i've got an av-amplifier so i'm rather keen to try the nforce dolby digital audio (especially if the new drivers are good).

Last edited by zoolap; 09-12-02 at 06:35 AM.
zoolap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 10:10 AM   #10
soltys

I use a7n266-c. No complaints, no problems. Under w2k. Good stable motherboard with excellent sound. Though I'm only using headphones.
soltys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-02, 07:30 PM   #11
Blakhart

Same as above, faster than my 266A via board with the same parts. Rock on.
Blakhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-02, 06:41 AM   #12
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

Heh,

As you can see from the other thread from me the board is here.

Reason for buying was the incredible price for the Twinforce deal here in UK - 148 in VAT. For Nforce mobo and the GF4Ti4200 64MB from Leadtek.

I added a new XP 1600+ CPU for 50 (because it was soo cheap - and I will sell my old kit now as well sooo... why not, and it was supposed to be a good overclockable CPU )

Well anyway... you can see the results in the other thread.

As for Nforce II... yes it is better, but this was a deal not to be missed, as what I wanted was to just buy a motherboard ( as I couldn't use the other 256 MB stick of ram on the ECS board).

When I saw this deal... well here I have it now, just couldn't resist, coupled with the fact that my old GF3Ti200 did not have the best 2D either (from MSI, blurry at 1280x1024), hearing all those nice comments about the Leadtek cards... just couldn't resist

For comparison 128 MB GF Ti fgrom Leadtek is 141 the cheapest in UK, and the 64 MB version is about 122 the cheapest. So for 25 extra I get the motherboard as well...

After teething problems over the weekend, now I have the setup, we will see how it goes further, as I just reinstalled Windows. But so far seems very good, and the only question is with the 149 FSB overclock and no post screen.
druga runda is offline   Reply With Quote