I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

MrNasty... you're awesome .

mrsabidji
Old 10-11-03, 03:23 PM   #26
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by MrNasty
Obviously it's gonna look better if there is slime and **** dripping off it. Thats what monsters have.

Carmack just didn't want to introduce new shaders on top of his allready bloated list of intensive effects. Thats why he had to cut IQ and make every character have the same polycount of mario 64.
I don't have any complaints about the polygon count of the above screenshot. it still looks great.

but those flying heads are the lamest things I've ever seen. if they're meant to be a reference to Kryten for Red Dwarf fans it would make sense, otherwise it's just pure ****.
Old 10-11-03, 03:31 PM   #27
Toaster

Quote:
All we have seen of doom3 is ****ty low polygon characters and razor sharp shadows... either illuminated or not... not happy medium it seems with doom3s shadows.
Either iluminated or not...Like this you mean?

Take a good look at the nearest 'spider' shadowS..

Nutty's earlier post summed it all up very nicly From a technical point of view D3 is superior to HL2.

[Edit] link fixed.

Last edited by Toaster; 10-11-03 at 03:40 PM.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 03:39 PM   #28
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
but those flying heads are the lamest things I've ever seen. if they're meant to be a reference to Kryten for Red Dwarf fans it would make sense, otherwise it's just pure ****.
I dunno... I'd rather wait and see them move before pronouncing them lame. But I have to admit that they're not my favorite DooM 3 monsters so far.

mrsabidji
Old 10-11-03, 03:43 PM   #29
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
Either iluminated or not...Like this you mean?

Take a good look at the nearest 'spider' shadowS..

Nutty's earlier post summed it all up very nicly From a technical point of view D3 is superior to HL2.
Yeah, DooM 3 shadows ARE wonderful, which is not very surprising since they're the game's engine main feature.

mrsabidji
Old 10-11-03, 04:29 PM   #30
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

Default Re: Re: Semi-newish doom3 shot..

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
the problem with great shots like that is that if when I start to shoot it I don't see bullet holes, flesh tearing, blood pouring out, and it reacting in pain and anger, then I'm going to think "this physics/AI engine is absolute ****" instead of "these graphics are amazingly good".
What a load! of course enemies react to being shot what, you think they stand still and cry? they react the way demons are supposed to react, they are going to kill you! (I asked them)

And blood is coming out from where you shot. blowing chunks of flesh is still too much to ask for now, though that would rock
the physics engine may be used to make the parts that get hit react according to shot direction and speed. (some karma game does that already).

Bottom line, you just look for excuses to say HL2 is better.
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 04:38 PM   #31
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

If they incorporated the SOF2 hit system into Doom 3 it would be awesome
Old 10-11-03, 04:44 PM   #32
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

yes it would....

The thing I'll miss the most from the original Doom is the death animations of the demons!! those were so gory! like, when that fat monster (thats the cocademons? ) his eyes came out of their sockets, their skin fell off and the guts were splatteredall over. ah the memories

Old 10-11-03, 04:58 PM   #33
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

As promiced a shot of Half Life 2's shiney dirt, must of waxed it.

that dosent happen in doom3 : \
Old 10-11-03, 05:04 PM   #34
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

oops, it was the mancubus

they're all here
Old 10-11-03, 05:09 PM   #35
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pafet
yes it would....

The thing I'll miss the most from the original Doom is the death animations of the demons!! those were so gory! like, when that fat monster (thats the cocademons? ) his eyes came out of their sockets, their skin fell off and the guts were splatteredall over. ah the memories
That's the Mancubus, and yeah he had a great death animation .
As for SOF2 hit system, I think I read somewhere the 'former-humans' reacted differently depending on the part of their body you were shooting at (ragdoll physics or something). I don't know if they can be dismembered, though.

mrsabidji

edit : oh, I see you figured it out by yourself, Pafet . Thanks for the link by the way.

Last edited by mrsabidji; 10-11-03 at 05:16 PM.
mrsabidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 05:35 PM   #36
rth

Default Re: Re: Re: Semi-newish doom3 shot..

Quote:
Originally posted by Pafet
What a load! of course enemies react to being shot what, you think they stand still and cry? they react the way demons are supposed to react, they are going to kill you! (I asked them)

And blood is coming out from where you shot. blowing chunks of flesh is still too much to ask for now, though that would rock
the physics engine may be used to make the parts that get hit react according to shot direction and speed. (some karma game does that already).

Bottom line, you just look for excuses to say HL2 is better.
lol it's nothing to do with HL2. if anything it's concern about them going down the quake3 path - "we don't have any hitboxes at all - a headshot's the same as a toeshot - and it's not because we couldn't be bothered and are crap, it's a gameplay feature"

I want Doom3 to be a great game since I'll probably end up buying it anyway.

for the 3rd time, my concern is that the rest of the game lives up to the realism of the graphics.

if a monster is slowly moving towards me and I shoot it in the legs I want it to fall down and crawl towards me. if I shoot one of it's arms I want it to stop using it. and then I want it to die if I shoot it enough in the head/chest.

I know this is a lot. but Doom 3 is a huge release. and SOF has made good steps in body damage accuracy. and since Doom 3 has only a few enemies at a time they need to be better.

I hate the way loads of games are a case of firing bullets in the direction of an enemy and then when enough bullets have disappeared into its hitbox it suddenly dies.

with a monster that looks as powerful as that in the screenshot above, I'd be very disappointed if I could just, for example, empty a couple of clips into its foot then it suddenly falls down dead.

ultimately I'd like a completely realistic damage system. I know it's a long way off but if games don't even try then we'll never get there. SOF tried but quake3 couldn't give a ****. and which engine was used for many other games?

since Doom 3 engine will be used in other games, the more features it has then the better other games will be too. no matter how great the shadows are, if it doesn't bring other great features then not only will Doom 3 suffer, but we'll be condemned to endure the limitations for years.

Last edited by rth; 10-11-03 at 05:40 PM.
rth is offline   Reply With Quote