Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-03, 07:39 PM   #49
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

I thought he was talking about 'The Exorcist'. I may be wrong though.

mrsabidji
Old 10-11-03, 08:24 PM   #50
Zenikase

This thread reeks of ignorant speculation and fanboys. My hat's off to Nutty and anyone else that has been able to keep a cool head instead of making loud and exorbitantly STUPID statements like MrNasty.

I'm pretty sure I read in a past interview that Doom3 infact uses per-polygon hit detection, meaning that every triangle on the character's mesh is unique. Combined with a more interactive physics system, this could create some really cool results.

Also, is it correct to assume that the game uses mostly fixed-function T&L and texturing, with the exception of the unified lighting, reverse stenciled shadows, and multiple passes? That alone makes the game an impresssive feat, IMHO.

Looking at that new shot makes me long for Doom3 again. But I hope that Max Payne 2 will suffice for now.

Last edited by Zenikase; 10-11-03 at 08:32 PM.
Zenikase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 08:45 PM   #51
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsabidji
I thought he was talking about 'The Exorcist'. I may be wrong though.

mrsabidji
yep Exorcist (rerelease version, it was cut from the original cos it was too scary )
Old 10-11-03, 08:48 PM   #52
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
Doom3 doesn't use hitboxes. It does collision on the actual render mesh, you can actually shoot through between his fingers.

They noticed it made multiplayer suddenly leap in difficulty. Trying to do deathmatch with per poly collision was very hard apparently. I think they ramp up the weapons strength for deathmatch.

P.S. Kurt Russels ( or someone) version of The Thing, had an upside down head on legs.. it was well freaky..
that's great. how are bullets handled? do they have sizes and shapes to decide whether they'll pass through fingers? can they ricochet?
Old 10-11-03, 08:57 PM   #53
rth

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Semi-newish doom3 shot..

Quote:
Originally posted by Pafet
OK, it's not that you have high expectations. You are just SICK
kidding I would like that too actually. but why settle there!! I want to cut their stomachs with a knife, pull their guts out, and then throw it on another zombie. then break every bone in his body and watch it wobble with extreme physics calculations
hmm... when you select the knife you could have a button you press which makes the mouse move your hand instead of the POV. then you could make the correct cuts.

you'd probably want to incapacitate the enemy first by shooting its kneecaps and shoulders off.

the only problem is then they'll by lying down, so when you slit open their stomach their guts won't spill out nicely...
Old 10-11-03, 09:02 PM   #54
Pafet
GeForce 7900GT

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Semi-newish doom3 shot..

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
hmm... when you select the knife you could have a button you press which makes the mouse move your hand instead of the POV. then you could make the correct cuts.

you'd probably want to incapacitate the enemy first by shooting its kneecaps and shoulders off.

the only problem is then they'll by lying down, so when you slit open their stomach their guts won't spill out nicely...

*backs away slowly to safe distance, then running for cover!!

or

*press 3 twice to get the Double Barreled Shotgun and start co-op game with rth
Pafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 09:02 PM   #55
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Yeah ! And I want to actually smell their flesh burn when I'll shoot them at point blank range and I wanna see the blood on my hands when I'll tear their hearts out of their chests and...er... sorry.

mrsabidji
the smell's a bit hard to do (maybe it could ramp up your monitor refresh rate to burn out some components?)

but the blood idea is great. it could spray onto your screen then have an animation of your POV jerking to the side to avoid it and then your hand wiping it off your face

maybe if you do this then later stand still for a while, an animation could have you look at your hands and say "the horror, the horror..."

Last edited by rth; 10-11-03 at 09:09 PM.
rth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 09:05 PM   #56
Zenikase

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
that's great. how are bullets handled? do they have sizes and shapes to decide whether they'll pass through fingers? can they ricochet?
The concept of bullet impact is a vector that is fired from the player's point of view and passes through anything that stands in its direction. In Doom3's case, when this "bullet" hits a monster, it will create a certain impact on the monster depending on how many polygons the projectile affects, while also applying the appropriate forces of physics.

Old 10-12-03, 12:32 AM   #57
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
doesn't look like dirt to me. and if that's a light then it's probably a bug.

the most disappointing thing about that shot is all the straight lines where the walls meet. looks crap. it's even got a little stone skirting board ffs.
Its not a bug, it cannot be changed. Every game to date (accept doom 3) has this problem where lights werid anomolys show up on certin polygons while not on ohters. Notice how the red reflection is not shown on the brick texture like it should be.

That dose not happen in doom3 because of its Per Pixel lighting.

Quote:
Thats light? I thought it was blood or something!
This is probably something they are going to cahnge
Yep its light
Old 10-12-03, 01:20 AM   #58
Zenikase

Uhhh per-pixel lighting is nothing new buddy. It's been around in games for the past two years or so.

Per-pixel just means that instead of applying normals to just the vertices of the triangles, instead there are individual ones created for each pixel (hence the term). This way, you end up with significantly improved image quality, as the lighting and shadowing is calculated on every pixel of the surface. You can also alter these normal vectors and create the illusion of a certain type of surface without using any extra triangles. This is bump-mapping.

And according to the statement above, HL2 certainly does seem to implement bump mapping. If it doesn't then the guys at Valve must be missing a few marbles because this feature has become increasingly commonplace in games lately.

Don't be so quick to respond with these kinds of statements, please.
Old 10-12-03, 01:22 AM   #59
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by Zenikase
Uhhh per-pixel lighting is nothing new buddy. It's been around in games for the past two years or so.

Per-pixel just means that instead of applying normals to just the vertices of the triangles, instead there are individual ones created for each pixel (hence the term). This way, you end up with significantly improved image quality, as the lighting and shadowing is calculated on every pixel of the surface. You can also alter these normal vectors and create the illusion of a certain type of surface without using any extra triangles. This is bump-mapping.

And according to the statement above, HL2 certainly does seem to implement bump mapping. If it doesn't then the guys at Valve must be missing a few marbles because this feature has become increasingly commonplace in games lately.

Don't be so quick to respond with these kinds of statements, please.
Please list the games we can see per pixel lighitng in for the last 2 years.
Old 10-12-03, 01:31 AM   #60
Zenikase

I can't list them ALL off the top of my head, but I certainly remember (from the glacier level) that UT2003 used per-pixel effects to bump map the walls and give the effect of jagged edges of ice. Consequently, I'm sure Splinter Cell uses per-pixel lighting extensively in conjunction with its other lighting/shadowing effects.

Halo also used a lot of bump-mapping, the one I remember most is in the outdoor levels when looking out at the ocean. The whole surface is glimmering and full of tiny dimples.

I think that new Chrome game uses it too.

Again, I can't give a lot of references because I haven't played a lot of recent FPS games at all. You need to consider the fact that there are still games out that use the Q3 engine like Call of Duty and Jedi Academy. I also know that I'm referencing only to bump-mapping, but that's because it's the most noticeable effect that per-pixel lighting gives. Aside from that, you also get a nice round specular highlight as opposed to the geometry-dependent ones that are warped and jagged.