Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-03, 03:28 PM   #1
chigger_ns

Angry Doom3 and Half life2!!!!

Im so sick of hearing about Halflife2 and Doom3' I think there is too much hype, and no matter what, they will be a big disapointment!
Sure, my hardware is one year old. A gf4 4200 128 meg and an xp2100 wirh 512 of ddr ram. If it cant play it, I wont be upset. Ut2003 was hyped, the game sucked. The hype was big for Quake 3, the engine was clasic, but the game sucks. Iwant content, and game play first, then sexy graphics last.
I thought Castle wolfinstien was good but it was hyped, it made me not like it as much.

I want games that I dont have to upgrade every 6 months just to play it.
JUst my 2 cents.
Sure My current video card is not dx9 shaders up the ying yang, but if I bought a gf fx 5900 or an ati 9800 super card, it would obsolite in 3 days anyway.
ssssSo...........
Thats why Halflife2 and Doom 3 are going to suck.....But DukeNukem34 will rock!!!
chigger_ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 03:44 PM   #2
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

umm yea.. i personally like games that push the graphics industry. gives me a reason to purchase new hardware, and drool over graphics
Old 10-11-03, 03:57 PM   #3
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Theoretically, a Ti4200 + a XP2100+ + 512MB DDR should be highly sufficient to play DooM 3 with almost all the eye candy. Plus, if the 'sexy graphics' are not your priority, you'll be able to play HL2 in DX8 mode. So what's your problem ?

mrsabidji
Old 10-11-03, 04:07 PM   #4
volt

Tru! Can't wait for DukeNukem34!
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-03, 04:45 PM   #5
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Hl2 and doom3 are going to be very good. We havent seen the game play of doom 3 yet, but people said multiplayer was a blast, because the engine is so high tech it has per pixel hits (no hit boxes) its actually harder to aim. Also the shadows and dark creepy places where people can hide is what made it fun according to the reviews on the internet (who attended quakecon) Id also states that they are going for the Single Player experince this time

HL2 looks very good, multi-player will probly be popular though tf2 and cs.
Old 10-11-03, 05:03 PM   #6
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
We havent seen the game play of doom 3 yet
yes we have. there was a single player movie released ages ago. the gameplay looked quite crap tbh. it's like quake3 but without jumping or serious sam but with only 1 enemy at a time.

I hope by the time it comes out they'll have improved it a lot because when I saw it I felt hugely disappointed, especially because it was the same time as the 600MB HL2 video. whereas the HL2 one was all about new things, the Doom3 video was the most boring piece of generic rubbish I've ever seen.
Old 10-11-03, 05:26 PM   #7
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Yeah, that's completely unrealistic : I mean, have you ever seen a real gun-fight ? People usually run everywhere at 50+ mph, jumping and shooting in every direction. DooM 3's gameplay is the biggest piece of cr*p I've ever seen too.

mrsabidji

PS : sarcastic ? me ?
Old 10-11-03, 05:52 PM   #8
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Yeah, that's completely unrealistic : I mean, have you ever seen a real gun-fight ? People usually run everywhere at 50+ mph, jumping and shooting in every direction. DooM 3's gameplay is the biggest piece of cr*p I've ever seen too.

mrsabidji

PS : sarcastic ? me ?
did you even see the movie ?

the point is he WAS running at 50+ mph

Old 10-11-03, 06:34 PM   #9
Gargr

Judging by the beta, HL2 is going to be a great game and it runs good on my overclocked GF4 and celeron 2000 @3000Mhz at 1024x768. The game looks great, physics are great. The wood actually bends when you push.. lol i didnt know that.

Doom 3, i dont really care about this game
"When it comes to Nintendo strategy, it's not that we want to make games for kids. It's that we want to make them creative while appealing to a wider audience. Obviously we see games as entertainment, and what we want to do is find the best way to make the gameplay experience entertaining for everyone." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Gargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-03, 03:24 AM   #10
p0lish_p0w3r

yeah HL2 beta runs pretty decent on my rig

|
|
|
\|/
Old 10-12-03, 04:20 AM   #11
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Uh, I think you're overestimating what it takes to run games nowadays. I have an XP1600 with a TI4200, and it played the Doom 3 alpha and even the HL2 "beta" (which is really more like an alpha) quite playably. Sure, you won't be getting 60+ FPS all the time, but it's far from unplayable. And yes, you can get the "pretty water effects" from HL2 on your GF4. There's not going to be THAT big of a gap between DX8 hardware and DX9 hardware (especially in Doom 3...for obvious reasons).

Oh, and while I agree Doom 3 is overhyped, I think Half-life 2 will turn out very well. Everything they've shown on the game, and even some things that weren't supposed to be shown (i.e. the "beta") look spectacular. The only thing about it that I could call "bad" is that it will run on the Steam network. Other then that, it will probably be one of, if not THE, best FPS game released. I'm just wondering when they'll get it done, the release date has been bouncing back and forth for a long time now. Oh well, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-03, 06:23 AM   #12
chigger_ns

Im just saying that the hype for these games are the killer for me.
They should have a 1 month hype rule
Its just by the time these games are released, I wont want to see the words Half Life2. Like Halo for the pc. I was really not too impressd for the length of wait and the chanting of how cool it was going to be.

Im just a cranky Canadian who needs a beer I guess.....
And a Prozac...
chigger_ns is offline   Reply With Quote