Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-12, 08:14 PM   #1
Dralan

Default SLI - SFR troubles

Hello All,

I am just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as myself. I can provide more information if needed, but given what I've tried so far and the fact that I'm experiencing the same behavior on multiple distros with different hardware, I suspect that maybe no one is attempting to do what I'm doing.

So I decided to give SLI a try, being a die-hard Linux and OpenSuSE user. I started with two GeForce 440s. I noticed that both Auto and AFR produced a terrible frame rate. I was almost better off with a single card with either of those selected. My desktop was kind of stuttering as well... if I switched from one desktop to another, there was a lag present that was not present with a single card. This is back when I was running OpenSuSE 11.4.

However, one day, I discovered that if I set SLI to SFR, WOW! I nearly doubled my frame rate from a single graphics card in every game, including games in WINE. However, this introduced a very annoying catch. Every once in a while, my desktop will seem to forget to render part of the bottom frame. This happens almost exclusively while I am in the desktop, and never happens when I am actively playing a game. What will happen is this, my bottom panel will disappear as well as whatever part of the window is on the bottom half of the screen, however my wallpaper will remain there, and will be drawn over whatever part of the window and panel is missing. If I open a new window, or move any windows around, everything is immediately restored, but this happens fairly frequently and is VERY annoying.

I've tried everything I can think of, down to buying a newer and more powerful power supply (1200 watts now), swapping cards, trying new video cards (I am now using two 580s with the same results), upgrading distros (I am running OpenSuSE 12.2 now with the same results), etc. I've tried different drivers from the 175 series, 195, and now 304.51. All drivers exhibit the same behavior, however 304.51 runs AFR decently now... though not as good as SFR.

Is anyone out there using SFR on their Linux desktop? If so, have you ever experienced this annoying issue???
Dralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 09:25 PM   #2
johnc

Default Re: SLI - SFR troubles

I remember having something similar to that happen.

I don't think SLI really works in Linux.

An alternative can be to have two different X configurations (one SLI, one non-SLI) and then use the SLI config for gaming only... but it's messy.
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 12:03 AM   #3
Dralan

Default Re: SLI - SFR troubles

I just updated to the 310.14 driver. So far, the issue I described no longer happens (so far... been on it several hours now) in KDE. It does, however, still happen when I start Torchlight II in wine... that's the only time a game has ever done this, and it only happens on the first splash screen and stops as soon as I click a mouse button.

Update:
Now this is interesting. I had tried both vsync enabled and disabled before, and as long as I was in SFR mode, I got this weird behavior with the bottom half/third of the screen sometimes not showing windows and only showing wallpaper. However, with the new driver, this stops happening as long as vsync is disabled. Enabling vsync causes the behavior. This is very interesting...

As a side note, my performance is *much* better with SLI enabled in games. There is an advantage to SLI in Linux now.
Dralan is offline   Reply With Quote