Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-03, 11:23 PM   #13
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Steam is stilla work in process... Even if they change their minds 10 times on how its going to work in the early months of its release means NOTHING. They are just figuring out how its all going to work best under load.

Has Nothing To do with telling Lies...
that's part of what pisses me off. it's crappy code and yet valve see fit to force it on people who want to play HL1 multiplayer.

Steam's launch was pathetic. observe the wonder of constantly downloading content in the background and always being up to date - oh crap it doesn't work - er... - observe the wonder of downloading a 200MB cache file from fileplanet!

I hope they change their mind or make it optional or hugely improve it.

also people have reported that their CD-keys have been stolen by people registering fake accounts. someone also got secret valve info by registering an account in the name of a valve employee.

since valve doesn't give a crap about people getting their accounts hacked and losing their CD-keys, I consider it fair play that now valve have been hacked and had their property stolen too.

EDIT -- Don't mind me...I'm crap happy! --Sy--

Last edited by PsychoSy; 10-16-03 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-12-03, 11:24 PM   #14
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
by lies and BS I mean the false release date (they knew they'd never meet) and all the stuff surrounding Steam like it being required for LANs and for single player. and the benchmark non-release too.

but tbh the word of this thief means no less to me than the word of valve now. I know that valve is full of crap, but this thief at least hasn't been proven right or wrong yet.
So you believe the source code leak has absolutely nothing to do with the delay? Just what do you think Valve's motive was for deceiving you?

Last edited by PsychoSy; 10-16-03 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-12-03, 11:28 PM   #15
rth

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
So you believe the source code leak has absolutely nothing to do with the delay? Just what do you think Valve's motive was for deceiving you?
they had already delayed it before the leak.

when the leak happened they delayed it more.

I don't believe the leak is the main reason for the delay. I wouldn't be surprised if valve had been extremely optimistic with their schedule to get money off ATI for the XT bundle.
Old 10-12-03, 11:33 PM   #16
ChrisW

The fact is we know for a fact that at least the benchmark worked as several reviewers had it. Even nVidia had it which is how they knew exactly what to do with their drivers to get this specific benchmark working at it's current speed. It is because of the source code theft that the game is being delayed until next year and will probably be ruined.

Can you provide me with a link stating the game was delayed before the source code was stolen?
Old 10-12-03, 11:44 PM   #17
rth

Quote:
The fact is we know for a fact that at least the benchmark worked as several reviewers had it. Even nVidia had it which is how they knew exactly what to do with their drivers to get this specific benchmark working at it's current speed. It is because of the source code theft that the game is being delayed until next year and will probably be ruined.

Can you provide me with a link stating the game was delayed before the source code was stolen?
er don't you remember a few weeks ago? it was going to be 30th September. then all the "delay official" threads but Gabe said they were still aiming at a holiday release. then the leak and all of a sudden it was April next year.

plus when they announced the leak and the delay they said the delay was 4 months. September 30th + 4 months != April 2004. they meant another 4 months on top of the first delay.

Last edited by rth; 10-12-03 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-12-03, 11:52 PM   #18
ChrisW

Quote:
Originally posted by rth
er don't you remember a few weeks ago? it was going to be 30th September. then all the "delay official" threads but Gabe said they were still aiming at a holiday release. then the leak and all of a sudden it was April next year.
Wasn't that after they learned their systems had been compromised? I thought Gabe said they noticed someone had made a copy of the main source code folder. It was my impression that the original target of the holiday season was before they realised just how badly their software was compromised. With the amount of code that was stolen, I would be surprised if the game ever gets released now (at least the multiplayer version) and nobody is going to want to license it now.
Old 10-13-03, 01:38 AM   #19
The Baron

Quote:
It is my belief that The Perp has some connection to, or involvement with Nvidia. I would Bet my paycheck for the next 10 years on it. An Nvidia employee? probably not. But There is clearly some connection there. There is simply to much animosity towards valve and an intentional push towards Discrediting and slandering them. These kinds of Practices are common Ground for Nvidia and people closely associated with them. This Smacks of someone with Ties to Nvidia who is seeking retribution for the Valve/ATi deal and the Strong Public Criticism of Nvidia and their underhanded Cheating practices by Gabe Newel.
Honestly, HB. Sometimes I wonder--are you some sort of anti-NVIDIA robot, or do you actually have a brain?

Discrediting Valve is one thing. Cracking their servers, stealing source code, and releasing it on the Internet is quite another.

Oh, and by the way, I'll happily take you up on that offer simply because I know I'll win.

Old 10-13-03, 02:42 AM   #20
p0lish_p0w3r

Default Re: The Stinking Lying theif Speaks take 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder

6. I challenge the Lying Thief to go ahead and release everything he has. Lets see it. Enough of the lying smoke blowing. Produce the Goods or Shut up.

Is 3 GB of hl2 beta and CZ beta not enough ?
Is the source code not a proof ?

What else do you want ? Valve programmers bangbus.com passwords ?

Old 10-13-03, 05:05 AM   #21
StealthHawk

Quote:
What lies and bs? The only person accusing Valve of lieing is the software thief. Why do you insist on taking the word of a thief over Valve, ATI, nVidia, and all the review sites? If it were not for this low life, we may actually be playing HL2 today (single player version) or at least have the benchmark to play with.
I think we need to all get on the same page here. Either the hacker got the current build of the game with up to date source code, or he got old stuff that isn't all too relevent. Assuming what the hacker got was mostly "junk" the game shouldn't need to be delayed that much. Which leaves two possibilities. Either the game isn't close to being finished, or the hacker does have multiple builds, including a very recent build.

I don't see what the source code being stolen has to do with the delay of the HL2 benchmark...at all. There really is no correlation. Wouldn't it be better for Valve to release the benchmark, and show people the thief is a liar and the game(or benchmark at least) is a lot farther along than he/she/it claims? Wouldn't the benchmark have drawn some attention away from the source code/beta/other leaked programs?

Old 10-13-03, 05:11 AM   #22
StealthHawk

Your posts(you know who you are) have been removed.

Do NOT let this thread proceed in the same manner as the previous thread, which had to be closed. Do NOT start another flamefest in this thread.

Old 10-13-03, 07:27 AM   #23
volt

Okay, you are accusing NVIDIA of hacking their systems and stealing game code / binaries. That's the biggest crock I've ever heard dude. Take gaming communities under consideration will ya? Clans, teams, cheating groups etc. As for the drivers, those could be on Gabes computer, that's why thief is mentioning them IMO.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 10-13-03, 07:46 AM   #24
PenguinJim

Quote:
The fact is we know for a fact that at least the benchmark worked as several reviewers had it.
I was under the impression that no reviewers 'had' it... a few were allowed access under Valve's beneficient gaze and controlled conditions.

And considering the benchmark was complete, why do we not have it? Where is the benchmark? Why has Valve not commented on the benchmark?

Also, I don't think the game was anywhere near ready for release on 30th September. But I'm not too bothered about it any more. I was very very impressed with a game that had not been forced down my throat for months, that was announced within a few weeks of its release date, and I was going to buy it and support it if I could (even if its playability were mediocre), as that kind of maturity in an industry built around hype and delays was refreshing.

I won't be buying it any more. I'll probably be too busy playing the free Stone Fat Gabe games, anyway.

Oh, and jAkUp: homophobia is SO 1992 I could just vomit!

...unless you KNOW the guy's gay, in which case, is he cute? Is he single? I wanna know!
Closed Thread