Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-25-03, 01:16 PM   #13
davcefai

Whoopee! I'm back in Linux.

At the end of the day it turns out that the problem was the identification of the card.

As I could not uninstall and could not reinstall the drivers (segmentation fault at 14%) I ran a mandrake upgrade install. The default card offered was "geforce 4" but - obviously(?) I selected "geforce fx". No joy.

I then decided to do a full reinstall over my existing installation, leaving defaults all the way. This included letting Mandrake install "geforce 4". To my total surprise, X ran.

Driver is "nv". Should I try nvidia?

LordMorgul, many thanks for your help and interest. I have learned an awful lot about Linux in the past few days.
davcefai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-03, 01:27 AM   #14
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

The nvidia driver may function now, you can go ahead and try

What you may want to do, is keep a copy of your XF86Config-4 around just as it is now. If you change the working one to use nvidia, and then reboot with bad results, just copy your backup over the messed up one and you should reboot fine.

(IF you don't have issues with the previous problems I mentioned, Mesa libs getting in the way after the install. But you can probably work those out now anyway.)