Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-04, 06:29 PM   #1
Davidoo

Exclamation New drivers won't work with GF2 and LCD monitor

I'm having a problem with my "old" computer (2001 model) that has a GeForce 2 MX 400 card with 64 MB RAM on the card. I am using the DVI with a 18 inch digital LCD monitor. I have tried for a year to upgrade the driver from the 21.83 I am now using.

Everytime I install a new driver, like the 56.64 I just tried, the computer starts to boot up, but right when it is going to start windows the screen goes blank and the computer is dead. The only way to get out of it is to cut the power and start again, pushing F8 during startup and using "restart using last known good settings." Of course, that gives me the 21.83 drivers back. I have always disabled antivirus and removed the drivers through the control panel add/remove.

I have had 2 other computers with nVidia cards and have always been able to update the drivers using the same method. I just upgraded my GF 4 4200 to the 56.64's last night, and they work great. That computer also is using the DVI out with an LCD monitor.

My old computer is still a "good" system with a P4 1.8GHz, 256 MB RAM and 100GB HD. There is no reason a GF 2 shouldn't work with this new driver, is there? These drivers are supposed to work with the old GForce 256, which I also used to own.
Davidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-04, 08:44 PM   #2
serialdave
seldom posts

Sounds ike a problem i had a few days agoa with a system that got "confused about what display to use. It was switching to the tv out for some reason.

Yours may be setting to the monitor out instead of the dvi out. try hooking another monitor to it while you boot with the new drivers for the first time. I used VNC to remote control the system I had trouble with and change the display to monitor from tv out.
Old 03-20-04, 08:47 PM   #3
Davidoo

I thought about hooking up a CRT monitor to the analog plug on the video card for the reason you mention. My only problem is (not really a problem most of the time) that both of my computers now have digital flat panels, so I don't have access to an analog monitor.
Davidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-04, 09:10 AM   #4
serialdave
seldom posts

Are they on the same network. Maybe as the system I had at work you could install a remote desktop utillity like VNC and remote contol the machine and make the changes. Or atleast see if it is coming up to the desktop at all.

The system I had thought it was displaying to the tv out but dipslayed fine for vnc. Changed the default display to monitir 1 and all was well.