Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-19-02, 01:20 AM   #13
Chalnoth

I played it a little bit, and deleted it. The game just didn't do anything for me.

The graphics were pretty good, but I didn't think they were anything spectacular. The water was nice, but again, nothing exceptional. Morrowind's water looks that good when it's raining (for some reason, I think Morrowind's water looks much, much better when it's raining...).

As far as the gameplay, I sure hope the full version is much better. In particular, the balance was way off. The ninja level was far too easy, and the sub level much more challenging by comparison.

I also have gotten very tired of searching around for little things to get through a level (Attempting to find the secret codes on how to open the mailboxes was just stupid...).

But, I didn't like the original NOLF demo, so I don't know why my feelings should surprise anybody.

As a side note, I had fun looking at some of the signs in the ninja level. I noticed one that said "Ramen" on one of the walls. That seemed a bit out of place. I also noticed that there was a smattering of Japanese and Chinese signs (I know just enough Japanese to know the difference between Japanese and Chinese writing...), combined with a number of Japanese signs that you generally wouldn't see in Japan (the text was too simplistic...).
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-02, 01:26 AM   #14
SavagePaladin
info*****

The levels weren't in order...the ninja levels were (afaik) the ones at the beginning of the full game. Who knows where the other two are really, but....not there.
I rather like that, cause a demo that only shows the beginning isn't spectacularly indicative of the full game.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-02, 01:47 AM   #15
Chalnoth

Which is why I do have hope that the final version will have a much better change in challenge levels...but the demo just sucked in that regard.

As an aside, however, I don't think any level in a game should be as easy as that ninja level on normal challenge...

For example, one of the all-time greats of single player FPS games, Half-life, didn't have any level that was as easy as that...

Last edited by Chalnoth; 09-19-02 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-19-02, 02:06 AM   #16
SavagePaladin
info*****

I dunno, the first level there was easy too....

At any rate, I enjoy character driven stuff more, which is why I didn't like HL as much as NOLF
Old 09-19-02, 02:21 AM   #17
Chalnoth

Try considering the first level where you actually fight...there technically wasn't any fighting in the very first level of Half-life, and I definitely died a couple of times the first time playing through the first level in Half-life. I didn't come close in the NOLF2 demo...

Speaking of character-driven stuff, there's one game that I never bought that I would like to get sometime, just for that reason: Deus Ex. Additionally, Half-life did have a fair bit of character driven stuff at the very beginning...I'm mostly disappointed that it fizzled out so quickly. The greatest thing about Half-life was that you didn't have to read anything to figure out what to do...most of it was people talking to you, which I feel is far more immersive.
Old 09-19-02, 03:01 AM   #18
SavagePaladin
info*****

Well yeah. I guess we know eachothers reasons now
Nice chattin with ya, I'm really tired so gotta go to bed.

Deus Ex was a fun game with a lot of choices, but I really can't remember many characters with much in the way of personality...

I still loved it, so thats all good.

I only despise reading when theres pages upon pages of it and its a complete waste of my time....Baldur's Gate had that.

I'll see ya later.
Old 09-19-02, 03:07 AM   #19
Chalnoth

Well, I guess you won't see this until tomorrow, but I do have to say that I actually enjoyed Baldur's Gate. I even read a good many of the books in the game.

The primary thing I didn't enjoy about the reading in NOLF2 was the fact that you had to do run around reading things to complete some inane quest. Besides that, I feel that such things have little place in a FPS, let alone for such a silly reason.

I guess I'm just the kind of person that feels everything has its place. Reading should be left to RPG's, while FPS games should focus on action and immersion. With the NOLF2 demo, I really felt like the little errands you have to run in the ninja level just made absolutely no sense. I suppose that's my biggest complaint. Not that I had to read, but that it was stupid that I had to read.
Old 09-19-02, 03:22 AM   #20
SavagePaladin
info*****

The reading random things was for the optional objectives, except in the case of that one level.

Anyway, yeah, I really am off now.
<hits shut down>

Old 09-19-02, 08:03 AM   #21
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

I thought it was top.

I thought the sub level was by far the easiest. Love the graphics of the sub station. Hope theres alot more of that in the main game.

Last level was nice too. Sneaking around the huts in the dark. Anyone use the Angry Kitty? hehe nice.

AI really impressed me too, following footsteps in the snow n stuff. Think I'll buy it. Looked very polished to me. Ran like a dream on me gf4. Like someone else said I can't believe that was the Lithtech engine. Wasn't the last LithTech game AVP2? Didn't it chug like a bitch tho?
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-02, 11:10 AM   #22
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth

I also have gotten very tired of searching around for little things to get through a level (Attempting to find the secret codes on how to open the mailboxes was just stupid...).
Very true. That was just bad level design.
Old 09-19-02, 10:33 PM   #23
cricket

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
I thought it was top.

I thought the sub level was by far the easiest. Love the graphics of the sub station. Hope theres alot more of that in the main game.

Last level was nice too. Sneaking around the huts in the dark. Anyone use the Angry Kitty? hehe nice.

AI really impressed me too, following footsteps in the snow n stuff. Think I'll buy it. Looked very polished to me. Ran like a dream on me gf4. Like someone else said I can't believe that was the Lithtech engine. Wasn't the last LithTech game AVP2? Didn't it chug like a bitch tho?
hey nutty>>>> can you help me out in the last level? everytime after i plant first bomb..then i hAVE to sneak around the huts...the guys with long yellowish jackets always spot and then kill me. do i climb in the window of first hut? what is best way to approach this whole area? what is best weapon to kill the guys with long jackets? is there any more armours around the huts or first aids?
cause im really stuck here.
1GB (2 X 512MB) Kingston HyperX (KHX3200AKB/1GR (2-3-2-6)
XFX NVIDIA 7600GT AGP (256MB) (@ 580Mhz Core-1.5Ghz Memory Speeds)
80 GB MAXTOR DIAMOND MAX 9 (8Mb Cache)
WINXP HOME ED -w/Vista Transformation Pack 6
ANTEC SLK 3700 BQE CASE
Nec ND-1100A DVD/RW Drive
CD Drive
7 in 1 Multimedia Card reader For My SD Digital Camera Pictures
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-02, 02:31 AM   #24
SavagePaladin
info*****

IT runs like a dream on my gf3ti200. I can even turn on FSAA at 1024x768.....crazy.
Of course, not along with EVERYTHING else, but hey.
(ie aniso and high texture res or whatevah...i'm on 30.82 atm)