Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-02, 07:59 AM   #1
codingfrenzy

Default _which_ quadro cards have stereo support under driver 3123

i would like to know which quadro chipset is included in the new quad-buffer-stereo support. is it only the quadro4 700/750/900 series, or e.g. the quadro4 500 as well ?

in addition, can I use the shutterglasses & cables I bought for the GeForce2 / MSWin / Stereodriver _or_ do I need to get extra cables and glasses ?

i develop low-level openGL scientific visualization software on several unix systems, among them linux. up to now, only expensive un*x workstations could offer quad-buffer based stereo, but with the latest advancement and effort of NVIDIA, linux+opengl is finally maturing to a point where it can replace these commercial workstations in this respect (thankyou thankyou thankyou). now i read that quad-buffer stereo is supported with the newest 3123 driver, only its not clear exactly which quadro chipsets are supported.
Old 09-18-02, 09:29 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Stereo is supported on all Quadro cards, with the exception of the Quadro4 NVS 200/400 cards.

Specifically, yes, the Quadro4 500XGL supports stereo.

--andy
Old 09-19-02, 01:44 AM   #3
codingfrenzy

tnx - This is great!

I will try to get my hands on one (here in Switzerland) and test out stereo for linux. From the top of my head, I know about 500 people that would be maximally excited if it works in my viz app and scientific software for linux in general.
Old 12-29-02, 03:24 PM   #4
ethan_b

Default Any idea when stereo will be supported on other cards?

Are there plans to add stereo support for cheaper boards as well anytime soon? I have an Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS based board with 3d goggles and was hoping to see Linux stereo support. I am also using it for scientific visualization - I've replaced some volume visualization apps that were running on SGI workstations at ~1 fps with Linux versions that work at ~10 fps. It'd be great to have stereo as well.

Alternately, what is the cheapest card out there that will currently support quad buffered stereo?
I see some Quadro4 550 XGL cards in the $250 range on Pricewatch...

Ethan
ethan_b is offline   Reply With Quote