----
PNY GeForce FX 5200 (128MB, AGP)
Epox EP-8RDA Mobo (nForce2 chipset)
Athlon 1800+
Maxtor 40GB HD
old Quantum Fireball (1.5GB) HD
2 optical drives
----

After manually setting the IRQ of my video card in the BIOS, I can now use the "nvidia" drivers, with one very annoying catch: there has to be a mouse plugged into the PS/2 port.

This is not a problem with XFree86, as using drivers=nv works fine. With the nVidia drivers, though, the machine just locks up - no kb LEDs, etc., unless my mouse is plugged into the PS/2 port.

It is not that having a USB mouse screws it up - it will work fine with a USB + PS/2 mouse, but take away the PS/2 mouse, and nothing works - even takeing away both mice crashes it.

The log file leaves no errors, and the XF86Config file works fine for the nv drivers, and works for nvidia drivers with a PS/2 mouse (even though the conifig file doesn't contain /dev/psaux).

This is really weird, and really annoying. Could anyone help me, please? As I haven't configured the modem to work under Linux (though I have tried), it is a little more time consuming to post my files, though not at all impossible.

Again, no errors (grep EE /var/log/XFree86.0.log) in the log file, and the config file works fine otherwise.

Is my hardware defective, my BIOS settings wrong, or nVidia's drivers screwed up?

Thanks,

-Brannon
Plaz McMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 09:31 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Very strange indeed. Are you running the nvidia drivers for the nForce mobo as well as the video?

I would definitely tend toward saying its a mobo oddity or configuration, but as I don't have one I won't, I'll only guess.
Might have to do with the agp hangling, which is different when the nvidia driver kicks in than nv.
Old 10-25-03, 01:12 AM   #3
Plaz McMan

Fixed it - updated my mobo BIOS, and it works like a charm
Plaz McMan is offline   Reply With Quote