Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-27-03, 06:31 PM   #73
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
So MikeC, what card would you choose? I'm wondering why you left that out of your conclusion?
Hi Dan,

I didn't write this article with the intention of recommending one product over the other. Had I done so, it would have been necessary to do a thorough investigation into the additional features each of these graphics cards provide. My goal was to provide the reader with supplemental information on gameplay that I hope can be useful in making a purchasing decision.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 06:33 PM   #74
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Now that I've been using an ATI card for a few months and used NVIDIA cards for a few years before that... I want a third option. There are too many things that bug me to death about each, and I think a third option would make both of them take a long hard look at what's wrong that isn't a performance or IQ issue. Sure, performance and IQ are the be-all-end-all for 3D, but I've had plenty of 2D annoyances with both.
Here is some food for thought,

Matrox actually has some non-agp cards, you could just get a gameing CRT that runs off your AGP, and then 2 reallly good 18,19 or 21'' LCD's to go off the matrox.
Old 10-27-03, 06:34 PM   #75
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
Here is some food for thought,

Matrox actually has some non-agp cards, you could just get a gameing CRT that runs off your AGP, and then 2 reallly good 18,19 or 21'' LCD's to go off the matrox.
Ooh.

That is an excellent idea. Damn you for suggesting it.
Old 10-27-03, 06:34 PM   #76
TheTaz

Couple of comments about Mikes 5950 Preview.

Not trying to be a fanboy, so please don't take it this way.

1. You are comparing a Higher clocked nVida card to a not recent clocked 256MB version of the 9800. You should have at least clocked the 9800 to Base XT speeds for your comparison. (Overdrive is irrelavent for a straight comparison, IMO)

2. The 9800 Pro 256MB Still beats the 5950 in some PS 2.0 tests and with AA and AF on at those lower clockspeeds.... and the 9800 model you feature is $50 or so less, on Pricewatch.

3. The 9800 Pro 128 MB will get near the same scores. Now we're talking $200 less. (Not sure how a 128MB version of the 5900 would compare in your particular tests)

When you say "nVidia is getting competative again"... The $500 price tag, the AA quality, and some of the PS 2.0 performance... leads me to disagree, somewhat.

If nVidia adjusts their prices to a "comparative value"... then I could agree with you.

Regards,

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 06:40 PM   #77
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

I was looking forward to this review as I thought it would include some evidence to debunk the faked screenshot allegations. Sadly, it did not. The GFFX has indead come a long way in image quality, only if the screenshots used in the comparisions are legitamite.
Old 10-27-03, 06:42 PM   #78
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I was looking forward to this review as I thought it would include some evidence to debunk the faked screenshot allegations. Sadly, it did not. The GFFX has indead come a long way in image quality, only if the screenshots used in the comparisions are legitamite.
and how, pray, do you get around a screenshot hack? there's no capture card that supports DVI (AFAIK)
Old 10-27-03, 06:54 PM   #79
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Hi Dan,

I didn't write this article with the intention of recommending one product over the other. Had I done so, it would have been necessary to do a thourough investigation into the additional features each of these graphics cards provide. My goal was to provide the reader with supplemental information on gameplay that I hope can be useful in making a purchasing decision.
Ah! Gotch... But having used both products. What would you choose as a consumer? I probably should of said that above. Not a lot of people have the opportunity to use various hardware. So my question is as a consumer which video card would you choose if you had the available $500.00? Just curious...

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 07:07 PM   #80
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Ah! Gotch... But having used both products. What would you choose as a consumer? I probably should of said that above. Not a lot of people have the opportunity to use various hardware. So my question is as a consumer which video card would you choose if you had the available $500.00? Just curious...

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
I doubt curiosity has very little to do with your post Dan. As long as I've known you, you have never asked my advice about anything. I think your are just trying to start a little stink and give me a hard time. That's just my 2cents
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-03, 07:20 PM   #81
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
I doubt curiosity has very little to do with your post Dan. As long as I've known you, you have never asked my advice about anything. I think your are just trying to start a little stink and give me a hard time. That's just my 2cents
Mike sees hook with fat meaty worm on it...removes said worm from hook...drops hook and then flings fat meaty worm back topside to whence it came.

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 07:29 PM   #82
Paul

Quote:
Now that I've been using an ATI card for a few months and used NVIDIA cards for a few years before that... I want a third option. There are too many things that bug me to death about each, and I think a third option would make both of them take a long hard look at what's wrong that isn't a performance or IQ issue. Sure, performance and IQ are the be-all-end-all for 3D, but I've had plenty of 2D annoyances with both.
What problems have you had?
Old 10-27-03, 07:40 PM   #83
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
What problems have you had?
Refresh rate problems, ridiculously unstable drivers. Those are the big two that spring to mind.

Oh, and yes. Mike is what we like to call the Master of Forum-Fu. So baiting Mike doesn't work... mmmm... ever
Old 10-27-03, 07:59 PM   #84
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Quote:
and how, pray, do you get around a screenshot hack? there's no capture card that supports DVI (AFAIK)
Camera on a tripod? Why must we rely on software screen capture algorithms that can easily be hacked?