Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-27-03, 09:03 PM   #85
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
WoW! Where did that come from? All I was, was curious was if you had the dough which would you choose. I can care less either way which card you would choose. It was just a question... Nothing more nothing less...

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com

P.S. I've been labeled everything in the book from being a Matrox B0rg to an nVidiot as well as a FanATIc. I can care less about ATi, Matrox nor nVidia. I'm not one of their soldiers, but a consumer. I treat video cards like they are consoles. It's not the hardware that I care about it's how the software runs on it.
You could care less what I think yet you ask the question. I can see why you have been labeled everything in the book.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 09:11 PM   #86
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
You have been a true nVidia user and knowing you now have tried another competitions product, hence the reason for asking the question. It's like asking a kid to eat his vegetables. He doesn't want to eat them because they look nasty but after eating them he tends to like it. I was curious to know your purchasing stand now knowing you tried another competitors card. No hidden messages, no hidden agenda. A simple honest question. I'm not the one who would crucify you if you go with ATi or go with nVidia or go with any card for that matter.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
I'm not a child you're asking to eat his vegetables, I'm a 43 yr. old college educated man. The more you talk the more you show of yourself and your real motives. I answered you politely the first time you asked and gave you my reasons. You are the one that is pushing. If you don't like to be shoved stop pushing.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 09:11 PM   #87
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Camera on a tripod? Why must we rely on software screen capture algorithms that can easily be hacked?
okay, you figure out a way to get a camera to grab a single frame of a monitor when it's constantly refreshing and I'll happily do it.
Old 10-27-03, 09:41 PM   #88
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
okay, you figure out a way to get a camera to grab a single frame of a monitor when it's constantly refreshing and I'll happily do it.
You don't have to grab a single frame. Just stand still and take a snapshot in an area where there is a lot of FSAA and aniso. Then take a screenshot using the game's screenshot software (or Hypersnap or whatever) then take another snapshot (of the grabbed screenshot this time). If the images look reasonably close enough then I will be satasfied. That's all I ask for.
Old 10-27-03, 10:03 PM   #89
Clay

Quote:
I gave it a shot...I'm not photography expert and I just have a Nikon Coolpix 775...but the results were horrendous.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 10:09 PM   #90
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
You don't have to grab a single frame
Well actually I think you would have to do so in order to have a close enough comparison to a screen grab to be worthwhile.

Help me out here folks, I'm stumbling through this thought process but I think you'll get jist of it...

How many frames a second are being displayed with an 85Hz monitor? Okay, now you need a high-speed lens that is fast enough to capture one of those single frames...otherwise you get a garbage image. Maybe you'd actually need to use a video recorder (and be in same sync as the monitor), record your monitor and then extract a single frame from your video for comparison. This would need to be a very high quality video camera though to result in an adequate comparison to the screen grab as well.

I'm sure that I'm wrong in some regards...thoughts? Sorry, this should be in another thread...
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-03, 12:49 AM   #91
gmontem

85Hz monitor, 85 frames per second max. Just try to get enough light so you can make an exposure at 1/x of a second, where x is a multiple of your monitor's refresh rate.

Edit: Nevermind. I checked a review of your Coolpix and the exposure modes it offers are completely automatic.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-03, 02:29 AM   #92
gmontem

Here's a jpeg capture of Serious Sam:SE rendered by a Radeon 8500LE. I suppose you can use an image taken from a camera to look for certain types of cheats like a missing reflection but obviously you really cannot judge AA, AF, and other details by the pixel level with these kind of captures, and I'm afraid there will be a plenty of idiots making claims that NVIDIA or ATI has better image quality because of a camera screenshot.

Things get worst when the captured white balance is not correct or when the highlights have been overexposed or when the image is noisy or when ... well you get the idea. :P
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-03, 05:04 AM   #93
dan2097

That fx 5950 review had too much benching at high resolution for my liking. My monitor supports up to 1600x1200 @75hz but I probably would never use any resolution over 1280x1024. Most people have similar/worse monitors i.e. most of the TFT owners cant go over 1280x1024.
dan2097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-03, 07:31 AM   #94
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Send a message via ICQ to AnteP

Quote:
and how, pray, do you get around a screenshot hack? there's no capture card that supports DVI (AFAIK)
there's equipment that support both VGA and DVI in

I've been thinking of buying one for our reviews just can't find any retailer in sweden that has it
AnteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-03, 09:28 AM   #95
jbirney

Quote:
Oh, and yes. Mike is what we like to call the Master of Forum-Fu. So baiting Mike doesn't work... mmmm... ever
This time it worked as Mike lost his cool. He could have answer the question as I for one would like to know the anwers.

Mike good review.

Did you see any difference in Halo vrs the two? I have heard there were differences with the water. Keep in mind FX cards use mixed mode in halo. Just wondering as I don't have an FX myself. TY
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-03, 09:43 AM   #96
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default ...

Quote:
Originally posted by dan2097
That fx 5950 review had too much benching at high resolution for my liking. My monitor supports up to 1600x1200 @75hz but I probably would never use any resolution over 1280x1024. Most people have similar/worse monitors i.e. most of the TFT owners cant go over 1280x1024.

The upcoming FX5600U/5900 review here will feature 10x7 and 12x10 benchies exclusively... My monitor doesn't do 16x12...

Plus most who will spend >$250 on a card will probably have a monitor that does 16x12... those wanting to spend $190-$249 are less likely to have a 16x12 capable monitor or TFT...

Mike's review features 4XAA/8XAF tests... and this was with a 5950 on a high end system... I'm gonna be doing 4XAA/4XAF on mine... the test beds I'm working on are 1.91-2.2ghz T-Breds, so they're not as high up on the totem pole... plus the 5900 has a stock memory freq @ 700...

For those really wanting 8XAF performance hit info, I'm also running tests with JUST 8XAF...

I hope the will help with those looking for some realistic NV35 figures for their midgrade setups...

Oh, and Mike? DAMN good review. Me likey... It's totally un-stale, like a piece of homemade bread fresh outta the toaster!!

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote