Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-22-03, 12:07 PM   #1
mmaster

Default will there ever be official support for Video-in?

will Nvidia ever release a driver or software to allow us to use the video-in capabilities of our video cards? I've looked at riva-tv, and haven't gotten it to work. The other problem with it is that it doesn't work with smp kernels and nvidia's binary driver (according to their faq)... which, of course, is what I want it to work with... I should disclaim slightly by saying that I am grateful to have the drivers themselves. I simply want to use the video-in feature of my card.

so, Will we ever get official software from Nvidia?

If anyone has any alternatives to riva-tv, I'm open to suggestions. Additionally, I know this topic has been beaten to death, but, I felt like dredging it up again. My apologies to those upset by this thread.
mmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-03, 03:54 PM   #2
pe1chl

Yes that would be nice to have!
And tv-in as well.

I have a FX5200 based "Personal Cinema" card (a combination of tv-in, video-in, video-out and VGA out, plus a wireless remote) and until now I can only use the VGA, video-out (but it is crippled by overscan bugs and limited resolution options) and the remote.

I don't require any applications (as delivered with Windows), when only the input features would be supported via video4linux.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 03:06 PM   #3
aggrevated

Default Re: will there ever be official support for Video-in?

Quote:
Originally posted by mmaster
will Nvidia ever release a driver or software to allow us to use the video-in capabilities of our video cards? I've looked at riva-tv, and haven't gotten it to work. The other problem with it is that it doesn't work with smp kernels and nvidia's binary driver (according to their faq)... which, of course, is what I want it to work with... I should disclaim slightly by saying that I am grateful to have the drivers themselves. I simply want to use the video-in feature of my card.

so, Will we ever get official software from Nvidia?

If anyone has any alternatives to riva-tv, I'm open to suggestions. Additionally, I know this topic has been beaten to death, but, I felt like dredging it up again. My apologies to those upset by this thread.
No. There will never be support for video in for Nvidia and Linux.
Nvidia SUCKS, they don't give a damn about Linux people, at all.
Rivatv is dead. It's unmaintained and the authors don't reply.

I'm going to take my nvidia card out and blast the sh*t out of it with a shotgun and then go buy me a video card that DOES WORK.

I'll here on out recomend to everyone that I meet to avoid nvidia products at all costs.
I'm sorry that I ever bought the one I have and I'm sorry that I ever recomended that other people buy Nvidia products.
aggrevated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 03:16 PM   #4
mmaster

but, please, tell us how you really feel!

I agree that rivatv seems to have languished...not that I could get it to work anyway... but it is GPL'd, can't NVIDIA pick up that particular ball and run with it? It's not like a lot of the work hasn't been done...

I'll still buy nvidia products... they work for games very well. I do wish we could have tv/video-in natively though.
Old 11-13-03, 04:15 PM   #5
aggrevated

Quote:
Originally posted by mmaster
but, please, tell us how you really feel!
If I did, I would be banned, not only from here but probably from planet earth. They would bannish me to another galaxy if I REALLY told how I feel about it..
aggrevated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 10:57 AM   #6
mmaster

I realize I'm digging this out of the thread graveyard, and I fully realize this is potentially a fully flagellated deceased equine, but its a new year now and I gotta know...

Are there any plans (at all, ever) to get video-in working with actual official nvidia drivers?
Old 02-06-04, 12:55 AM   #7
ngeran

Hear hear! I made a somewhat half-hearted attempt to compile rivatv, and it just didn't want to play nice. v4l and v4l2 are great interfaces, is there -any- way to get video-in support on the short list for new driver features? I've been impressed with the work so far, but this seems like a rather blatent hole in functionality from a user's point of view. All we need is an interface... the userspace programs are already there! Pleeeeease!
ngeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-04, 01:46 AM   #8
jono

I have a TI4200 with video-in. is there any way to use this in linux or must i use windows???
ps. i hate COM stuff...
jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-04, 02:01 AM   #9
Thunderbird

Video-in is not an official Nvidia feature. It is something varioius card manufacturers have added themself. Even on Windows supporting this is the task of the card manufacturer, so why would they support it on Linux?
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-04, 02:15 AM   #10
jono

so if video-in is not an official Nvidia feature why do i use Nvidia drivers and not something from the card manufacturer? and why would the card manufacturer not provide any drivers?
jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-05, 05:54 PM   #11
psykepsyke

Angry Re: will there ever be official support for Video-in?

Notes for using video-in:
  • You need a properly working version of video4linux
  • 'rivatv' module/driver will not work with 'nvidia' module/driver version 6106 and higher.
  • use: ./configure --enable-software-conversion (when compiling latest rivatv)
  • DMA is not available for 'rivatv' with 'nvidia' module/driver. use 'nv' module/driver if you dont need 3d gaming.
  • Once working test with GnomeMeeting (device probably /dev/video0 which is linked to /dev/v4l/video0 if I recall rightly).

Last edited by psykepsyke; 02-04-05 at 06:27 PM.
psykepsyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-05, 12:30 PM   #12
silentplummet

"Video-in is not an official Nvidia feature. It is something varioius card manufacturers have added themself. Even on Windows supporting this is the task of the card manufacturer, so why would they support it on Linux?"

That is a total cop-out. Video-in was working just fine until a few months ago. NVidia doesn't need to support it, the RivaTV project already took care of that.

Then NVidia went and broke RivaTV in the kernel module and offers no information about how to fix it.

NVidia doesn't have to "support" anything. Just stop breaking compatibility with existing projects that have already done their damn work for them. Or at least providing SOME of the necessary information on how to restore compatibility.
silentplummet is offline   Reply With Quote