Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-03, 06:37 AM   #37
Sledge
kushi-kushi

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
So if you want the absolute smoothest option you will have to set your monitor to 60hz.

It probably wont be noticable to most ppl, but it will still be there.
The effects of a monitor set to 60 Hz are very noticeable. I don't want to become physically ill while playing a game.
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | 2x512MB Samsung DDR333 | Western Digital 120GB SE | LiteOn 52x24x32 CDRW | Toshiba 16x DVD | Leadtek GeForceFX 5900 Non-Ultra (oc'd to 450/950) | Hauppauge WinTV350 | Viewsonic P225f 22" CRT | Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS | Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 | Sennheiser HD600 | Logitech Elite keyboard | Logitech MX500 mouse | Windows XP Pro SP1
Antec SX1000 | Seasonic Super Tornado 400 | Zalman CNPS7000A on Fanmate | 4x Panaflo 80mm L1A on Fanmates | Zalman 80C-HP w/ Panaflo 80mm L1A on Fanmate (coming soon)
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 06:44 AM   #38
euan
Fully Qualified FanATIc

Benchmarking with a 60fps cap is not a problem. You simply have to ensure that the settings are cranked right up so that you never reach 60fps. Problem solved.
Old 10-23-03, 07:53 AM   #39
bloodbob

First thing first it is pretty stuiped the smart thing to do would be to add a 1/60 second lag and then do linear interpolation through the model animation and position all though this might not be correct in the physics it would be damn close enough.( it would be more accurate then drawing it at the same spot again in 99.999% of the cases anyway ).

Benchmarking you got a few options

You got a system benchmark which disables any waiting between game ticks that lets you run the game faster then possible. ( best but prolly gonna be cpu limited )

2nd option is to let it rerender identical frames it wouldn't surprise me at all if carmack did this because it would be impossible for people to tell how many frames were REALLY rendered nvidia could say it rendered each frame 100 times in the drivers and yeah we couldn't prove they lied. ( or they could grow morals but for they amount of money they gonna make I'd prolly do the same thing )

3rd option is what they should have done for game play above.

Last edited by bloodbob; 10-23-03 at 08:02 AM.
bloodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 08:11 AM   #40
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
The effects of a monitor set to 60 Hz are very noticeable. I don't want to become physically ill while playing a game.
I meant the jerky effect you'll get if you dont run your monitor at the same speed as the game tic timer will be barely noticable. I agree 60hz suck. I wont use anything less than 85hz.

As to whoever said 29.XX would be enuff is wrong. The way film is created allows this, because of the blur created by the actual film process. Digitally created frames in games have no such thing. Each frame is completely independant of the others, and current blur techniques leave much to be desired.

I work on console games, and the difference between 30hz and 60hz is amazing. It really is soo much better, not just from visual reason, but because your input is sampled soo much faster as well, making it feel less laggy.

But I'd prefer something higher than 60hz.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 09:20 AM   #41
Themlasu

Send a message via ICQ to Themlasu

Now I'm not sure, but could M$ had something to do with this? I mean it is coming out on the xbox so wouldn't it benefit it if it can only run at 60fps max. Again I'm not sure, but I thought I'd ask anyways.
Old 10-23-03, 09:32 AM   #42
Quitch

Uh, guys, Quake III was a 30Hz tic... I don't think this is going to be jerky or anything like that.
"no because you see what happened was nvidia hasn't lost any market share (100 millions users!), but ATI gained 2%. so now the market is at 102%. it's called inflation and happens because of Moore's law" - rth comments on nVidia conference
Quitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 09:34 AM   #43
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes

This is where it stinks not to have any experience whatsoever with game coding and requirements (I program, but for office / enterprise software, where animation and realtime input aren't a priority).

Because of that, I don't know what would be required to do the following, and so this is purely from the perspective of a customer / player:

Ideally, the framerate (including number of frames rendered) would be totally independent of player movement and physics. So no matter what your framerate is, you should still run x distance and jump y height / z length. That way the same results would be had by a guy playing on a P42.0Ghz GFFX as the one using the latest P5-66.0Ghz GFGT2, despite the difference in visible framerates. The only difference would be how smooth the game looked (due to lower framerates for one).

The way I see it right now, having high-end hardware tweaked to the lowest possible settings allows some people an unfair advantage in games that tie the two together, for the very reasons you guys have listed above. It shouldn't be necessary to either have the fastest system and / or to lower your IQ / etc to achieve higher fps just to be able to compete. (Obviously assuming just the highest setting possible and still allowing a 'smooth' feel,).

Oh well. Just my own rambling $.02. (And now I know exactly what to do if I want to become a Q3 God- turn res down a notch, lower ALL other game settings to minimum, jack fps to maximum, then go online. )
Old 10-23-03, 10:08 AM   #44
Hellbinder

Quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
Why are people making such a big deal out of the 60fps caps? It's nothing new. Just because you can't go above 60fps doesn't mean it automaticly sucks.

Just take some random game where your fps is below 60fps.Lets say it runs at 45fps. This will still be smooth even though at all refreshrates it will have to show some frames twice or more ( I didn't say render ) when v-synch is enabled.

And benchies are still possible, some dumb timedemo/flythrough doesn't need a fps cap.
Actually no.. Becuase the Timdemo is still going to be limited by the core engine design. At least thats the way i understand it currently.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-03, 10:10 AM   #45
Hellbinder

Quote:
Originally posted by Quitch
Uh, guys, Quake III was a 30Hz tic... I don't think this is going to be jerky or anything like that.
No I Do not think this information is accurate. There were multiple sample rates in Q3. Which is partially why Carmack has decided to lock this game down.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 10:45 AM   #46
digitalwanderer

Uhm....has anyone brought up or mentioned the fact that Doom3 is NOT going to include a benchmark utility or timedemo test?

It ain't, Johnny-boy has already spoke out on that.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 10:46 AM   #47
Toaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Actually no.. Becuase the Timdemo is still going to be limited by the core engine design. At least thats the way i understand it currently.
What makes you so sure that the engine is not flexible enough to pull this one off?

I do admit that I'm speculating here, so you might be right. But the only way we can be sure is when someone asks JC or when the game is released.

Also, there is no reason in assuming that you can't set the tickrate higher than 60hz by changing some variable in some ini file. We'll just have to wait till D3 comes out I guess.
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 04:39 PM   #48
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by 99 to Life
I think all games should be capped at 29.977 fps just like DVDs. They run smooth at it!! Film runs at 24 fps, or 48fps for slow motion. I don't see why computers have to render more than 30. If everything in games were animated at 29.977 fps just like TV, and DVD, because half of 60hz would be 29.977 fps or 30 fps as we all like to think of it...the world would be a better place. The games wouldn't run slow because everything would be smooth as silk at 29.977 fps. Guess we'll have to wait for that one day too
NO Movies have motion blur, which trick your eyes into thinking they see smooth movement of frames. This is a common fallacy. Please read up on why the logic is incorrect.