Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-03, 12:46 PM   #25
Humus
Coder

Send a message via ICQ to Humus

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Well... to be nitpicky:

1. The first demo didn't work because of the render targets bit. GFFX cards do not support it, as far as I know.

2. The performance delta is because of PS2.0 speed, basically, and the fact that a 9800 Pro is 8x1 while the 5700 Ultra is... uhhh... 4x2? 2x2?
True. The render target is a floating point cubemap. The floating point texture support on the GFFX isn't that great. It only supports texture_rectangle, no standard 1D/2D/3D/Cube, and no mipmapping or wrap mode.
And that the last number of demos run slow are indeed as you say, the GFFX is slow at PS2.0 shaders. The OpenGL demos used are kinda old, so they use PS 1.x level shaders, and won't see as dramatic performance difference.
Old 10-23-03, 12:52 PM   #26
digitalwanderer

For anyone else who had no clue as to what review Max is talking about, you can read it here.

(Not all of us read that "frontpage" thing, I didn't see your review 'til Hanners linked it over at EB. TIP: Include a link to what you're talking about in the thread you're talking about it in. )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 01:05 PM   #27
B&R
MX 700

Good review.

Overall i am impressed by the 5700U(assuming the price is $200.00). This card has some good OC'ing i mean 541/1.02Ghz .
B&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 01:39 PM   #28
Paul

(For once ) I agree with Hellbinder on this. Toms really should have put a Rast image up, since it's not clear from the images included which IHV is in the "right" here.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen to the feedback though Maxpower, and I look forward to seeing the additions.
Old 10-23-03, 01:43 PM   #29
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
For anyone else who had no clue as to what review Max is talking about, you can read it here.

(Not all of us read that "frontpage" thing, I didn't see your review 'til Hanners linked it over at EB. TIP: Include a link to what you're talking about in the thread you're talking about it in. )
Thanks for the tip Digi, I've edited that initial post now with the link.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 01:59 PM   #30
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney
Thank you for taking the time to consider it. If you need more back ground info head over to the techreport as they have a really nice graph:

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2.../index.x?pg=11

If you check out their 5700 you will see the same type of delta. This can be found in other reviews.

Now the billion dollar question, how will that relate to games? Not sure. If HL2 and TR:AOD are anything to go by....
I'd intended on running Shadermark, I will try to do so and update the review with results. Thanks again.
Old 10-23-03, 02:02 PM   #31
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by darkmiasma
The problem is, everyone's card will come @ stock speeds, and not everyone will obtain the same overclock. You have to establish the baseline, and in this case, you failed to do so.

Its nice to look at a card that has been overclocked and say, wow it made such a difference, but when you don't have that baseline to compare it to, it just doesn't look the same.
Agreed, I should have included default clock comparisons on at least one of the benchmarks. Including defaults vs. OC effectively doubles the time involved so that's why I stayed clear of it this week. I'll get some default clock comparisons into the review ASAP.
Old 10-23-03, 02:42 PM   #32
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
Agreed, I should have included default clock comparisons on at least one of the benchmarks. Including defaults vs. OC effectively doubles the time involved so that's why I stayed clear of it this week. I'll get some default clock comparisons into the review ASAP.
Thank you for getting the default clock comparisons in there soon.

I understand that it requires more work on your part, but it does lead to a more effective and well formed review.

I appreciate your ability to take constructive criticism well, and I look forward to the updated review.

- Mike

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-03, 02:50 PM   #33
Clay

Default Review Update #1

I've added an "Addendum" to the Issues/Conclusion page (last page) below the pro/con section.

Thanks to Paul, jbirney, darkmiasma and others for your feedback and encouraging me to make the review more complete and thorough by addressing issues that were originally absent.
Old 10-23-03, 02:52 PM   #34
Clay

Quote:
Thank you for getting the default clock comparisons in there soon.

I understand that it requires more work on your part, but it does lead to a more effective and well formed review.

I appreciate your ability to take constructive criticism well, and I look forward to the updated review.

- Mike
Thanks Mike, it's always refreshing to have civil and respectful discussions with people in an online forum.

I will update some of the benchmarks with default clock speeds sometime this evening and have those posted by sometime tomorrow at the latest.
Old 10-23-03, 07:00 PM   #35
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
Thanks Mike, it's always refreshing to have civil and respectful discussions with people in an online forum.

I will update some of the benchmarks with default clock speeds sometime this evening and have those posted by sometime tomorrow at the latest.
Thanks for the kind words. Good work on the updates, you're the man.

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 08:53 PM   #36
Clay

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. Good work on the updates, you're the man.
NP, I like to use the forums like this...to be productive, solve problems, etc.