Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-03, 12:16 PM   #1
rmarvin

Default New Linux Drivers

With the release of the 52.16 drivers, Does any one know if there will be a new linux driver avalible soon??
rmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 02:29 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

That the new driver is *probably* being worked on is a safe assumption. But that it will appear any time soon is not, the linux driver always lags in revision numbers and release dates. Version numbers are NOT however directly translatable tho (5x.xx windows might have features/support of the next linux even if they name it 49.xx), Andy Mecham made mention of that some time ago.
Old 10-24-03, 02:58 AM   #3
Aardie

As we all know Forceware (Read Detonator) 52.16 is a big DirectX update for Nvidia not so sure this is of any relevance to Linux and from my own observations opengl is superior on Linux anyways.

Regards

Keith
Aardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 11:39 AM   #4
Megatron1983

Exclamation Well...

I was hoping for new drivers as well but the way it looks like we will have to wait a little longer.

When I contacted someone at nVidia he said that the drivers need some "cleaning" before they can release them...whatever that means I hope they clean fast.
Megatron1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 01:37 PM   #5
Aardie

Cleaning L O L next theyll be saying the washing machines are bust clogged up with waste C++, What about the drying or will we have to wait another month for that because the Electric dryers on the Blink.

Oh man Best Laugh I had all Day

Regards

Keith
Aardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 02:48 PM   #6
Megatron1983

Default Well..

Ever heard of fixing bugs?
I am very sure that they mean bug fixing when they talk about cleaning.

Aside of that, I am sure nVidia is testing the drivers on ALL nForce boards with all current Linux versions aside of the fact that they need to create rpms for each Linux distribution as well.

Now take all this and the fact that Linux is everything but a top priority OS then youll get the justification for waiting so long for new drivers.

Also, I think nVidia has other problems which are top priority if you look at the graphics card market without ATi or nV Fanboy glasses.

I dont like it myself, but there is nothing we can do about it except boot windows.
Old 10-24-03, 02:57 PM   #7
dpw2atox

one of the new features of the 52.16 drivers is opengl 1.5 support so maybe we will find this in the linux driver for cards that might support it?

edit: also a thought....Fedora 1.0 will be released november 3rd. Nvidia usually supports redhat/fedora pretty well so maybe they might be waiting till after the final release is made so they can release the new driver with full support for it.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-03, 05:26 PM   #8
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Frankly with the way the drivers work in Windows.. I hope they take their time "cleaning" them before handing it to us. There is no need for sloppy, sluggish, or otherwise imperfect drivers here. :-)

I highly doubt Fedora has anything to do with it, as nVidia has adopted a distribution independent method of installing (which includes blasting files away at whim). i.e. they are NOT waiting a driver on releasing rpms for you. They might however be debugging issues with new glx or feature support for the FX line, which isn't really available in the current drivers.

Old 10-25-03, 03:25 AM   #9
Megatron1983

Exclamation Umm

nForce drivers indeed are rpms, I wasnt talking about the graphics drivers.
Old 10-25-03, 04:36 AM   #10
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Indeed, I didn't consider the nForce at the time, sorry about that. Still, they're probably not waiting the driver on the packaging!

Judging by the effort nVidia is putting into the mobo market I'd imagine alot more of their talent is being used on drivers for those products than graphics, which is a pretty ordinary process for them by this point.
Old 10-25-03, 06:12 AM   #11
_tf_
scriptfoo warrior

its a shame that no "official" nvidia tech guy is on the forum to answer questions!
btw. where is andy m. ?

lars

opensource hardware now!
_tf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-03, 06:21 AM   #12
Megatron1983

Exclamation Quest for Andy M. lol

Didnt see him in ages, lets hope he will show up soon and enlighten us all.