Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-23-03, 03:10 PM   #13
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally posted by XanderF
Please read the Gamesdomain review of the game.

They mention at least twice that the game IS rendering 3d models in either software or 3d mode, depending on your choice.
That still reads as "pre-rendered" characters, to me. Just because the say "Static backgrounds with 3D Characters" and use the words "Camera", doesn't make it "actual 3D rendered". I wish I could find the link that stated for a fact that it's ALL pre-rendered. Basically the character "models" are Hi-res, pre-rendered sprites, that react to your "view angle" and control, according to what I've read before.

Mebee someone that knows the devs could set us straight.

Quote:
Originally posted by XanderF
The problem with ATI's anti-aliasing in these two games is that they are 16-bit color games. ATI's anti-aliasing algorith can not do ANYTHING with 16-bit games. What the Catalyst driver does in several cases (of popular 16-bit color games) is convert the 16-bit color calls into 32-bit color calls, which they can then anti-alias appropriately.

These two games they have not seen fit to 'fix', and, as this has been complained about for over a year now, it doesn't seem likely they ever will.
Well... that may be true too... I don't know the specifics of ATi's tech.... still learning.

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Isn't Grim Fandango DX7 ?
DX6

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
Grim Fandango is 3D rendered. What type of 3D is another story. Even some Neo-Geo games render 3D backgrounds while the Characters are 2D. A game can render 3D via software or hardware, but it might be rendering the 3D models differently then how you see it in todays games.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
That's what I'm trying to say... it's all pre-rendered pasted on to 2D, with some very BASIC 3D calls, as far as what I've read in the past. Hell... maybe they were wrong... but it makes sense when you actually play the game. Need to hunt down one of the devs and ask them for sure.

Regards,

Taz

EDIT: Now you guys got me way curious... Breaking out my Grim Fandango Box and installing. LOL!

Last edited by TheTaz; 10-23-03 at 03:19 PM.
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 03:33 PM   #14
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally posted by TheTaz
EDIT: Now you guys got me way curious... Breaking out my Grim Fandango Box and installing. LOL!
Ya... I gotta admit... the characters look "3D rendered" to me.
I regress. Been too many years since I played the game... enough to talk out my @ss without checking!

Regards,

Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 03:46 PM   #15
CaptNKILL
CUBE

LOL, Taz come on, how can you say the characters arent 3d?

I had the demo, THE CHARACTERS ARE 3D. Whether they are hardware accelerated or not I dont know but the characters are made out of polygons... you can tell in the screen shots that there are polygons.

Same with the Longest Journey, its Direct3d. The important characters (and any that move around the screen) in that game are 3d models and when Anti-Aliasing is enabled, they are smoothed out.

EDIT: Screen shots show polygonal (pointy) models with blurry textures and smooth shading... non-3d objects (usually sprites) would have pixelation on the edges and would not have blurry textures (because prerendered objects always had more detail than models until recently).
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...ns.html?page=5
Here is a line from the gamespot review: "It's the first from the company to dispense with traditional 2D animation and move to the more cinematic 3D style"

EDIT2: http://support.lucasarts.com/trg/tg.asp?id=65 note in the system requirements, it says 3d Hardware Acceleration is supported.....

EDIT3: In the video card section of that site, here is a bug with a certain card in hardware mode: "Whenever Manny talks to Glottis, Glottis' teeth will be corrupt and may look like they are not connected to his mouth. " This would be impossible if the character was a 2d image because obviously, the teeth are a seperate model (or else they wouldnt have a specific problem). Also, a super high res sprite with millions of frames of animation would have been impossible in 1997 (especially when hardware acceleration is enabled... video cards have a hell of a time with lots of sprites now... just imagine a Voodoo 2!) and is practicly impossible now. At least the important characters in Grim Fandango are 3d models.

ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic

Last edited by CaptNKILL; 10-23-03 at 04:19 PM.
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote