Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which is better: AMD or Intel?
AMD 25 41.67%
Intel 13 21.67%
How many times is someone gonna post these stupid polls!? 22 36.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-02, 02:58 PM   #25
PCarr78

Damned right.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 03:26 PM   #26
Philibob

Send a message via ICQ to Philibob Send a message via AIM to Philibob

AMD, heat is a bad downside but they are definately cheaper than intel - and I can use a nForce m/b with AMD
Philibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 03:33 PM   #27
PCarr78

I/m tellin you,the price/perf. of AMD is insane

Intel sucks by comparison
Old 07-28-02, 05:04 PM   #28
fastguy94416
The Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by tryx
I have been an AMD guy for a long time now like starting with my K6-2 400 all the way up to my last one I put together which was my T-Bird 1.4 that I ran at 1.6 with a 266a DDR MB but I gave in to the big time overclocking and speed that the P4 has and put together a puter with a Epox 4G4A+ MB that has the 845G chipset with 333 DDR surport and the 533 bus and drop in a P4 2.26 that easily went up to 2.77Ghz and I got my DDR to run at 407Mhz (it is Corsair 3200 ram) an gained over 1,400 points in 3DMark2001 with my GeForce 3 200 I went form 7,300 with the AMD to 8,750 with P4 and the P4 2.26 is about the same price as the AMD 2200 plus most socket A MB don't even have surrport for it so I decided to move over to Intel for now(beleave me I didn't want to give those money hungry basterds at Intel any of my money) but I didn't want to wait for AMD anymore to catch up to them and I plan on move back over to AMD as soon as the Clawhammer comes out
Thats a mighty long sentence you have there.
fastguy94416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 05:11 PM   #29
PCarr78

LOL

Someone hasn't learned about the use of punctuation and run-ons yet

Just kidding, dude
Old 07-28-02, 05:19 PM   #30
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

ROTFLMAO Maybe I should leave out punctuation to see if I can get anywhere
Intel is the best becuase = I can overclock it hundreds of Mhz at a time
Old 07-28-02, 06:02 PM   #31
PCarr78

A p4 OC'd by 400MHz performs 25% better.

An Atlmonxp OC'd by 40Mhz also performs 25% better...
Old 07-28-02, 06:20 PM   #32
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

Intel is dropping their prices drastically by the end of the year, they even dropped the price of the 2.8 ghz Pentium 4 which hasn't even been publically released yet. They are making way for the 3.06 Ghz Pentium 4. Here are the new prices:

http://digitimes.com/NewsShow/Articl...pages=02&seq=2

AMD has also announced new price drops, but Intel will still have lower prices than AMD's with those price drops. 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 for $193. Intel will also be dropping the price of the 2.53 Ghz Pentium 4 by 63%. That sounds hella good to me. It is not just the price, but the quality that counts. With a Intel chip I know that my CPU won't burn and go to hell all of the sudden, and I know that it will be compatible with anything. Intel doesn't have to add misleading numbers to the name of their products in order to sell them, unlike AMD, they have to do it to appear to be in competition with Intel. Besides, even with the Nforce 2, AMD CPUs won't be able to compete with a Pentium 4 hooked up with one of these:

http://www.viavpsd.com/product/P4PB4...therboardId=41

Intel is doing so well right now that they have decided to cut the time to releasing their new chips by a whole quarter, that means that 2.8 Ghz by the end of fall and 3.0 Ghz by holiday season, along with NV30, WHOO HOO!

AMD is already suffering from Intel's latest price drops, what will they do to stay in business when they have to slash their prices even more to stay competitive with Intel's new prices when they come out? It would be bad if AMD would go out, cuz then Intel would have to buy them, and burn all the athlons, lol, and then what would we do? lol, just kiddin'. But really, AMD has to step it up, I am buying a 3.0 Ghz when it comes out and I will buy a NV30 also, whatever they decide to call it, but I am gonna have one hella fast system. PEACE!

Last edited by LORD-eX-Bu; 07-28-02 at 06:25 PM.
LORD-eX-Bu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-02, 06:37 PM   #33
netviper13
Treehugger

Err, sorry but the only misleading manufacturer is Intel; propogating their mhz-only mentality on the unwary public.

AMD's PR ratings are actually quite conservative when compared to Intel's. Also, as applications become more intensive Intel's huge pipeline is going to become a problem.

Thoroughbred was simply AMD's way of battening the hatches and riding out the storm until the release of the Hammer chips.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 06:44 PM   #34
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
Err, sorry but the only misleading manufacturer is Intel; propogating their mhz-only mentality on the unwary public.

AMD's PR ratings are actually quite conservative when compared to Intel's. Also, as applications become more intensive Intel's huge pipeline is going to become a problem.

Thoroughbred was simply AMD's way of battening the hatches and riding out the storm until the release of the Hammer chips.
That is alot of wishful thinking on your part for AMD. Intel isn't the one that adds numbers like 2000+ or 2200+ or anything like that when they are a few hundred megahertz from the 2.0 Ghz mark. By the way... AMD was the one that came up with that argument because they saw that they were begining to fall behind and that have no way of catching up to Intel anytime in the near future. So they needed to raise sales and thus they came up with that argument and then "backed it up" by tweaking their processors to unstable levels to the point that they run so hot that it is dangerous for the consumer's investment. Now, isn't that misleading? Why do you think that Athlon XP's, wow that is another misleading thing, XP, "hmm... I am guessing that since it says XP it is what my new OS needs to run properly", anyways, AMD is misleading consumers and tricking them into buying their, not inferior, but not the best product that they could get. AMD is still below the 2 ghz mark, and won't release any new chips until 2003 by the looks of things. Intel hasn't changed anything, Pentium, that is not a misleading name now is it? oh now wait they changed one thing, they changed the 3 to a 4, but then again, that is just the series number, oh and they also changed the release date of their 2.8 ghz Pentium 4 to the 3rd Quarter, and then they had the nerve to change the release of their 3.06 Ghz Pentium 4 to September 1st. As applications become more intensive Intel will release more powerful processors to deal with these more intensive applications like they always have. I think Intel and AMD should start hiring some of us to advertise and convince people to buy their products, same goes for NVIDIA and ATI, lol, we are getting good at this aren't we? If you, Intel AMD NVIDIA or ATI are reading... HIRE US! We will make you richer!

Last edited by LORD-eX-Bu; 07-28-02 at 06:50 PM.
LORD-eX-Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 06:44 PM   #35
PCarr78

One has to wonder what kind of future current/future AthlonXPs have with the imminent release of hammer
Old 07-28-02, 07:12 PM   #36
netviper13
Treehugger

AMDs chips are still better, it's just that Intel has the MHZ advantage. If AMD upped their pipeline to 20-steps (or however many Intel's is) their processors would scale as high as Intel's.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote