Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-13, 10:20 AM   #1
News

Post Ken Levine: The Conversation, Part One

Some interviews with prominent figures, as in Polygon's widely-circulated one with BioShock: Infinite lead designer Ken Levine, are held on top of skyscraping Californian hotels. While it's not something I've experienced myself, I can entirely appreciate why this often leads their eventual write-ups to be somewhat defined by awe, be it overt or subtle: a famous figure is encountered in a dramatic setting, the trappings of aspirational luxury around them. Thus, they are inevitably presupposed to be superhumans of a sort, with achievements and a lifestyle far beyond those of mere mortals such as the humble interviewer. This is the tale. Notoriously, this week also saw the outermost extreme of this, in Esquire's absurd interview with/clearly lovelorn ode to the attractive but otherwise apparently unexceptional actor Megan Fox.

I can't ever imagine going as far as Esquire, and I'd hope someone would throw me into the nearest sea if I did, but I do understand why it can happen. The scene is set in such a way that the interviewer is encountering, if not a god, then at least royalty. Even on a more moderate level, I have never conducted an interview in a Californian luxury hotel's roofgarden, and my own interview with Ken Levine last month was no different, but I am nonetheless left thinking about the narrative created in that half hour. What tale could I now tell from just a talk with a guy in a room? Initially, I thought it impossible, or at least redundant, to spin a story out of a short, slightly awkward conversation in a dark little room somewhere in London: this is why Q&As are the standard interview format here. Let's try, though. I want to tell you about what happened in that interview, and how it felt to me, as well as sharing Ken Levine's comments about BioShock: Infinite's characters, pacing and mysteries with you.
(moreā?¦)

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote