Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-30-02, 05:16 PM   #1
Kevin

Question Syntax Error in rc.modules

Hi All:

I had encountered a few problems installing the RPM files on Mandrake 8.2, and after watching my X-Server crash repeatedly, and kick me into runlevel 3, , I downloaded and un-tarred the tar-balls for both kernel and GLX. After following the instructions, the drivers and GLX installed onto the system with nary a hitch! Now, when I boot my machine, the only error I see is during the initial boot splash screen, and it reports a syntax error in my rc.modules file, which is an 'unexpected end-of-file', and the machine carries on with boot. I have tried editing the file with Kate, and replacing it after the edit process, but I still get the same error. Should I perhaps simply start off with a blank file and type in the rc.modules script file, then save over top of the existing file? I have had no luck when I edit the file as SU, and try saving it over top of the file. I should mention at this point that even though I am an old DOS bigot, and command line interfaces are not new to me, Linux is relatively new to me, and some of the learning curve is still waiting for me to travel along and hit the icy patches along it! Any suggestions as to how to fix the syntax error would be muchly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-30-02, 05:41 PM   #2
hteles

Yes. It's strange but the Nvidia Kernel driver append strange stuff (/sbin/modprobe NVdriver) to rc.modules preventing the normal module loading.

Your rc.modules should be like this.

----------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh
# (c) MandrakeSoft, Chmouel Boudjnah <chmouel@mandrakesoft.com>
# $Id: rc.modules,v 1.1.1.1 2000/07/30 05:07:38 chmouel Exp $
# description: launch modules specified in /etc/modules inspired by a
# Debian idea.

[ -f /etc/modules ] || exit 0

# Loop over every line in /etc/modules.
(cat /etc/modules; echo) | while read module args
do
case "$module" in
\#*|"") continue ;;
esac
initlog -s "Loading module: $module"
modprobe $module $args >/dev/null 2>&1
done
Old 07-30-02, 06:55 PM   #3
Kevin

Default Re: Reply to post

Hi:
Thanks for such a prompt response to my small error. I appreciate the information, and I have since edited my rc.modules file and saved it, and now my machine boots without the syntax error message. Is this a 'feature' in the install process that they neglected to mention in the FAQ that is posted on the site? Or did I not read thru the FAQ and it was in there somewhere? I really do appreciate your taking the time to answer such a small thing, but I have found that the learning curve with Linux is steep, but once you get past some of the fear of 'fat-fingering' and you realize that you are learning something new in the process, it definitely makes your interest level rise! Thanks again, and drop me a line anytime! TTFN. Next comes ALSA drivers, and getting them running! Cheers!