Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-27-03, 12:51 PM   #1
jimgeorge

Default FX 5600 + nF2 + RedHat 9 = no acceleration?

Hi All,
I've been having some problems with running RH 9 on my new system:
Athlon 2600 (Barton)
ASUS A7N8X-X => nForce2 (has 8X AGP)
GeForce FX 5600 (Digicolor)
Seagate Barracuda 80GB

I'm reasonably tech savvy, but only recently graduated to Linux from Redmond95.

When I tried to setup RH9, it would probe my card as "Generic VESA", then when it has to go into graphics mode to run the installer, my monitor goes into DPMS power-off (it's a Samsung 763MB). So I install Linux in text-only mode. Right at the end, it asked me for the X server name, I gave it "GeForce FX (generic)". It did not enter X correctly, so I snooped around nV News for a while and read that the server's called "nv". I edited XF86Config and made the server "nv", and it worked but without accelleration. RH9 does not support the nF2's GART out of the box, so I downloaded nVidia's patch for this (a .diff file) which patches some kernel source code. When I recompiled the kernel, I got an error, there was a structure in the code which stored info about the agp bridge; gcc complained that one entry "num_of_masks" was not defined, so I went ahead and added an entry "int num_of_masks" into the structure. Now I have no idea whether this structure is used directly by the hardware, in which case the datatype and the position of this entry in the structure should matter. Is it worth complaining to nVidia about this? I guess they don't actively support Linux. Anyway, the kernel compiled after the changes and when I booted, it detected the nF2's GART correctly.

I then got nVidia's unified driver (distributed as a .run file), installed it according to instructions (first gave "telinit 3", logged in and then installed). Finally, I changed XF86Config to use the "nvidia" server in place of "nv" and removed the DRI module, added "glx". When i issued a "telinit 5" command, I got the nVidia logo (green eye on white bkgnd), the mouse pointer appeared with the default RH9 background, the login boxes appear briefly, then the whole screen goes white (mouse pointer visible and moves). Ctrl+Alt+F2 has no effect, no keys work (even blindly logging in doesnt work). Changing back to the "nv" driver works, but no accel... Does the "nv" driver make use of the GART? I suppose not because it worked even before I patched the kernel... if my source changes caused this problem that could explain something.

Please help me out, tell me if I need to post any config files. Right now I'm not running RH9, so I cant post any. Thanks in advance!

PS, I used to run RH9 on a PIII with an i810 motherboard, and I got a similar problem *once* (white screen, pointer). When I blind-typed my username and password, it worked.

PPS, another problem: I cant change my hdd's mode to anything beyond udma2. I have an 80-conductor cable and nF2's IDE subsystem is supposed to work in RH9 out of the box. It gives me UDMA5 in Win2K.
jimgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-03, 12:55 AM   #2
dpw2atox

ok i recomend to go to kernel.org and download 2.4.22 and then compile the kernel. After you compile it boot to that kernel in text mode and run the nvidia installer. after that make sure the xf86config file is setup properly and then type startx and it should work fine. i have a 5600 on redhat 9 and it worked fine for me. I did a graphical install but set it to boot to text and then downloaded the latest kernel, compiled it and did as I said above and have not had any problems.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-03, 09:41 AM   #3
jimgeorge

OK, I'll try this. Kernel 2.4.22 has support for nF2's GART, right? I saw something like that on another thread. What I'm curious to know is that the probe detected it as a generic VESA, and that the vesa driver does not work.

When I built the kernel after making changes, the kernel name is 2.4.20-8custom. How do I change this to what I want?

Also, how do I get the system to boot into runlevel 3? Thanks!
jimgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-03, 10:01 AM   #4
dpw2atox

/etc/inittab runlevel setting reads

id:3:initdefault:

yes 2.4.22 has Nvidia AGP Gart support
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote