Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-02, 04:43 PM   #25
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

A few months ago I got sick and tired of my crappy desktop computer speakers so I took a regular ol'e 250W amplifier, and then I took my stereo speakers(2 15" subwoofers, 3 high range woofers and 2 little monitors) and then I made a connector for my PC. I hooked it up to my PC thru the amplifier and that rocked! It was the best sound I have ever heard, in my opinion, it blew away even the Klipsch Promedia speakers and it was just on a regular AC'97 Codec, lol. I could turn it up as high as I wanted and it wouldn't even break up. It was very clear and it really added to the gameplay experience. I was playing Rogue Spear with my friend right by me, and we had the speakers set up around us, I got shot by a guy with a shotgun in the game and it was like getting it by something, I mean, the bass blew me away, it was something else! I can tell you that! That was great, I had to eventually take it down tho due to complaints that it was too loud and shaking stuff. Give it a try. I might hook it up again, I hope it sounds better with a new sound card. And maybe this time I will give my set of four new 18" subwoofers a try.
Old 09-20-02, 05:22 PM   #26
OliverRedfox

Speakers are not digital. The digital out on the sound card is to link up to the digital input on your speaker system amp/decoder. The decoder then converts the digital signal into the various speaker channels and sends analog power to each speaker.

If you had a speaker system with its own sound decoder (or were using a home stereo system)...
If you used the stereo analog outs, you would only be able to decode using up to DolbyPro Logic. While with digital out, you could decode using DolbyDigtal or DTS.

Of course a lot of good sound cards have plugs for front/rear/sub outputs on them. So if you just have speakers pluged into your sound card, you'll have to use analog out. But if you have an exteral decoder, digital is the way to go.
OliverRedfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-02, 05:34 PM   #27
Cotita
Nvidia God

Quote:
Originally posted by McBane

Umm Cotita.....dont digital speakers have a converter with them? isn't that the difference between them and analog?

"digital speakers" have dolby digital or DTS decoders/amplifiers

i.e. inspire 5700/midiland s48200

by the way using the digital out on the audigy sends a dolby digital stream for an external decoder.
Old 09-20-02, 05:50 PM   #28
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by FastM
Actually it was a gift. My Grandfather is in the High-end Audio Buiz so he always sets up my family with a nice system.

This is his company web site. www.classeaudio.com

And going by his word, the absolute BEST LoudSpeaker Company out there right now is B&W.
Wow, we used to own John John Electronics, haha, but we kinda put that aside for the last few years. My dad also used to sell and design security systems, PA systems and loudspeaker setups. I think he is one of the best in the country, when it comes to electronics and stuff like that, well, at least the most experienced, he has no less than 46 years of experience. And since he stopped selling stuff and designing stuff guess who ended up with alot of it .
Old 09-23-02, 12:37 AM   #29
Rogozhin

True audiophiles use $10,000 turntables, and $40,000 monoblock tube amplifiers, because analog comes closest to the real sound of music.

I personally have my computer hooked up to my $1500 home audio system. A NAD integrated amp, and a pair of sound dynamics loudspeakers. Will soon upgrade to sourround when i buy my NAD DSP, a set of sounddynamics rears, and a homebuilt sub.

rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-02, 12:39 AM   #30
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Angry

Oh yeah! WELL! eh.... my synthesizer cost $6000!! yep. Thats right...
Old 09-23-02, 08:28 AM   #31
Fluke

Creative Labs, on their newsgroups if you prefer, will say you are nuts if you can distinguish a difference between Analog and Digital. I got flamed on the newsgroups for saying Harvey Fong(Creative Rep) was nuts. I could tell a big difference when I had my FPS 2000 4.1 speakers with a live and digital turned on.

Though I am pretty anti on the Creative Newsgroups, I don't think I have ever been wrong, but Creative has banned me twice already since I am not Pro-Creative Labs.

I got re-instated after I called Creative Labs and asked them where in my posts I was wrong. Less than 1 hour later I was re-instated and once again Harvey Fong is looking to ban me.
Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-02, 08:21 PM   #32
Rogozhin

LORD LOL

anddd ahhhhhhh my saab costs $6000!

hehe

and creative is full of shat. Every CD player has a built in DAC so all audio is analog.

The source system might be digital but in the end it is strictly analog to your speakers. I propose that digital is not reflective of what a true recording sounds like. Also, all the recordings are made from analog MICS so there ya go. Conclusion. If the recording is anaglog might as well stay with it.

rogo

rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-02, 01:35 AM   #33
zack

For computer speakers I would go with the Klipsch Promedia 5.1's or the Cambridge MegaWorks 510D. I would recommend the Sirocco Crossfire over both of these systems, but they are almost impossible to find in the U.S.
zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 07:02 AM   #34
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

Analog- captures the fidelity of the original source sound more faithfully, especially the extreme nuances.

Digital- less subject to outside changes to the sound (data) stream than analog, so even though what's captured during digital recording might not have quite the faithfulness to subtlety and nuance than the analog, the output on the speaker end may very well be better in the long run.

Speakers are analog devices, period. Some may have built-in DACs and digital connections, so that the sound stays in the digital domain until the last possible instant, but the sound WILL be in analog format before anything is heard.

PCs- PCs are digital devices. Because of this, all sounds / music from a PC will have been subjected to ADC conversion (if coming through a soundcard's inputs, for example, or pre-converted in the case of CDs), and eventually back through a DAC (either the soundcard's for analog output, or the speakers, during digital output). It's for this reason that many audiophiles don't use digital components for their music systems. Of course, it's also for this reason that many 'audiophile-grade' components cost so much. Digital technology is generally more affordable.

Sound quality is subjective. Just because I like the sound from one sound card and set of speakers doesn't mean you will. And what you like might not be something I think sounds good. Try different things out before you buy.
Old 10-06-02, 01:36 PM   #35
Harnagel
Lurker

I would be very careful about buying he Klipsch Promedia 5.1 system. Don't get me wrong, they sound awsome, but the problems lies in reliability. I purchased a pair a little over a year ago when they first came out. They lasted about 4 months and died. I got them replaced due to the 1 year warranty. About two months ago they died again! I'm waiting for the replacement in the mail now. If you go to Klipsch's forum for the Promedia 5.1 you will see a swarm of people with similar problems. Reviews never seem to touch this issue though.
Harnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 05:19 PM   #36
morkus64
3 Eyed Fish

I'm a Creative man myself... getting Audigy and Inspire 5.1 in December when i'm not feeling poor.

P4 2.8 GHz - 800 FSB HT | Geforce FX 5900 Ultra | 120 GB SATA HD | 80 GB Maxtor HD, Lite-on DVD | Lite-on CD-RW | Win XP Pro

morkus64 is offline   Reply With Quote