Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-30-03, 09:54 PM   #49
LBJM

what happens when you try to run lilo?
sysimage sound like thats the rescue cd's lilo?

to re-enable your old lilo.conf overwrite the config you are using. then just run lilo. if you can access man pages on your rescue disk run man lilo there are options to read from other lilo configs. if you dont want to for some reason overwrite it or cant. the rescue cd might be mounting your system read only
LBJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-03, 09:56 PM   #50
LBJM

your not running lilo. you trying to run the config.

its like trying to run the config.sys as if it was an exe file

just type "lilo"
Old 11-30-03, 10:30 PM   #51
Desorien

Oh but the corrupted lilo.conf was overwritten with the good one by simple copying it F5 in Midnight Commander from /mnt/sysimage/mnt/MyDisk , where MyDisk is a vfat/FAT32 Windows partition where I specially created a folder with various config files such as lilo.conf , fstab and others...therefore I`m allowed to write/read/etc ...am I not ?

Running "lilo" return : file or directory not found , that`s why I tried treating lilo.conf as an executable ... the question is that I tried running lilo from different directories including the one where lilo.conf is originally located /mnt/sysimage/etc/.

And yes /mnt/sysinfo is nothing but the my "/" image ... it mounts it as if it were a partition from another disk just like vfat/FAT32 partitions are treated in Linux enviroment (see /mnt/MyDisk).Therefore I`ve access to all directories and files from my poor system including the windows partitions I added in /mnt when the system was operational.

I hope I`m making myself clear enough for you to understand , I`m terribly sorry for my English...

"lilo" : file or directory not found ...hm , I shall read the man lilo file ....
Desorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-03, 10:33 PM   #52
Desorien

Argh , sorry for my grammar mistakes in my previous post but I`m awfully tired , it`s 6:30 AM here ... "lilo" returns* even...

I`m too lazy to correct the others at the moment , hehe.
Old 12-01-03, 03:15 AM   #53
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

WHOA!!!!

You shouldn't need to mess with any part of the toolchain to compile a 2.4.23 kernel!

All you should have to do is follow the instructions that whats-his-name posted; you shouldn't need to do anything else. I'm not entirely sure why it should fail to compile or install -- I'm puzzled over that.

To make LILO reinstall correctly onto your hard disk, you need to run lilo like this:

chroot /mnt/sysimage /sbin/lilo

Once you've done that, reboot the system and try to compile & patch again.

If you're still hopelessly lost, go to this website:

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 12:36 PM   #54
Sir_Brizz

Send a message via ICQ to Sir_Brizz Send a message via AIM to Sir_Brizz Send a message via Yahoo to Sir_Brizz

I dunno what's causing your problems, but I have recompiled about 10 different kernels over the last week, and you are having too much trouble.

I always unpack the kernel bz2 file in /usr/src from there you just do:

tar xjfv [location]/linux-2.4.23.tar.bz2

and then

cd linux-2.4.23

and you're in. I didn't have to change gcc versions or anything. I'm using gcc 3.2.3-25 I believe. Just did:

cp ../linux-2.4.21-144/.config .
make menuconfig dep

and made sure everything was installed that I need

make clean bzImage modules
make modules_install install

Where you are using lilo there is more work to do. I am using GRUB (EASY!!) which installs the kernel image to the bootloader itself. But you are having far too much trouble...I didn't even know how to compile the kernel a week ago, and now here I am

HTH
Visiontek GF4ti4600
SB Audigy 1 (w/ 1394)
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 04:17 PM   #55
Desorien

I see you have the exact Mainboard as me , what Linux are you on ? Did the nVidia MCP Networking (integrated network card) work before you installed the new kernel ?

Is it working now that you`ve installed 2.4.23 ? Uhm...
Old 12-01-03, 06:00 PM   #56
Sir_Brizz

Send a message via ICQ to Sir_Brizz Send a message via AIM to Sir_Brizz Send a message via Yahoo to Sir_Brizz

no I never could get it to work in the 2.4.22 and below kernels. I got it to work in 2.4.23 with the nvidia driver, but since have installed 2.6.0-test11 trying to get the video card working, and I can't. To use the ethernet in 2.6.0-test11 I had to use the forcedeth driver.

However, it did work with 2.4.23 and it is now working with 2.6.0-test11 which is why I say it sounds like you are making it too hard...
Visiontek GF4ti4600
SB Audigy 1 (w/ 1394)
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-03, 12:02 AM   #57
LBJM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Brizz
but since have installed 2.6.0-test11 trying to get the video card working, and I can't.
use the 2.6 series patch from this site
http://www.minion.de/
for hte video card drivers
Old 12-02-03, 10:55 AM   #58
Desorien

Well I just copied the full kernel version 2.4.23 (not patch) and copied it in /usr/src deleted all the things related to the old kernel found in /usr/src and then :

bunzip2 linux-2.4.23.tar.bz2

tar -xf linux-2.4.23.tar

rm linux-2.4.23.tar

...and a new redhat directory was created.Then :

cd redhat

make xconfig

...and a menu appeared , selected all the things that I thoght necessary to my system , saved it and then :

make dep (for establishing dependencies)

make bzImage

make modules

make modules_install

After all this I renamed bzImage found in /usr/src/redhat/archi386/boot to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23.
Did the same maneuvre with System.map from /usr/src/redhat to /boot/System.map.-2.4.23.

Then I had to configure lilo which is where I screwed up .... what did I do wrong ? Isn`t this the standard kernel update ?

All I`m saying is that I did nothing unusual nor complicated and it would have worked fine if I had managed to correctly configure lilo (I tried to configure it so it would display me linux/linuxold/dos) where linuxold is the old kernel...

Does any one know how to correctly modify lilo given the data above ? This is how my old FUNCTIONAL lilo used to look before I modified it :

prompt
timeout="1000"
default=linux
boot="/dev/hda"
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
lba32

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8"
label="linux"
initrd="/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img"
read-only
append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

other=/dev/hda1
optional
label="DOS"

image="/dev/hda1"
initrd="/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img"

Well now , any ideas ? I intend to re-install Red Hat 9.0 and re-update my kernel in the same manner except the lilo.conf thingie which I still don`t know how to handle.

I know all I had to do was to add the new kernel configuration to lilo.conf but ...
Old 12-02-03, 12:14 PM   #59
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

You need this:

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23
label = "linux-2.4.23"
read-only

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 12:51 PM   #60
LBJM

after doing hte changed suggested above neither make a lilo.conf with the info listed in it or run liloconfig and config things. check the lilo.conf afterwards. run "lilo"
if running lilo doesnt work you might be trying to run it off the cd so find it on you hd and run it that way.