Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-03, 03:09 PM   #61
The Analog Kid

Send a message via ICQ to The Analog Kid Send a message via AIM to The Analog Kid

Yeah it was a real pain building a kernel the first time. I recommend if you haven't ever built one, build everything into the kernel. If your using Red Hat or Fedora?, then there should be config files in the kernel source, use them and trim down the stuff you know you don't have.

With Lilo make sure when your done updating the config you type

lilo
Old 12-02-03, 11:39 PM   #62
Sir_Brizz

Send a message via ICQ to Sir_Brizz Send a message via AIM to Sir_Brizz Send a message via Yahoo to Sir_Brizz

Quote:
Originally posted by LBJM
use the 2.6 series patch from this site
http://www.minion.de/
for hte video card drivers
I did so and no cigar. It would just show a black screen with nothing on it no matter what I tried (and believe me I tried everything...)

I just reinstalled Suse9 last night and tomorrow I will be playing with it again...but what on earth? the video drivers wouldn't work in 2.4.21-144, 2.4.22, 2.4.23, 2.6.0-test9,10,or 11 for my card. I heard rumors that having over 1gb of ram ruins it sometimes? I tried removing ram, and same problem.

I can't believe that no one else has seen this before, someone must have solved it? This is the same problem I was having in RH9, which was why I moved to SuSE in the first place. I had the video drivers working in 2.4.20-144 without my nf2 mcp net driver working, and once I got that driver working the video quit... :shake:
Visiontek GF4ti4600
SB Audigy 1 (w/ 1394)
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 03:56 AM   #63
mariuz
Albino penguin

Talking forcedeth success

forcedeth is a success with the new kernel 2.4.23
Have only problems now with the nvidia video drivers , doesn't compile now , have to use the stock *nv* 2d drivers until get them to work
Old 12-03-03, 04:18 AM   #64
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Has anyone tried to e-mail someone at NVIDIA and explain these issues (not issues with forcedeth, issues with the 2.6 kernel and the NVIDIA drivers)?

mariuz: Great! Be sure to tell the driver authors.

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 04:40 AM   #65
Desorien

Are there any known problems between SUSE 8.1 and Red Hat 9.0 ? I intend to install them both in that particular order with GRUB as boot loader (default for SUSE).

I shall re-update the kernel to 2.4.23 and modify lilo exactly as TheOneKEA suggested but as far as I remember , I last modified it in the same way , that`s why it got screwed up

image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23
label = "linux-2.4.23"
read-only
append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

.Shouldn`t there be some "root=blablabla" ? And if not , why ?!

I`m beginning to like this , hehe.

Oh and is there any recommended order for the text above in lilo or doesn`t it matter ? Meaning , can I put it at the end of the file as well as on the beginning ? Hum....maybe that was my mistake..?
Desorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 05:24 AM   #66
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Linux distros will coexist quite nicely, as long as you don't accidentally shaft one of them for space.

The reason why you have no root=STRING specification is because using the root=STRING specification causes LILO to write the major and minor number of the device node corresponding to your root partition into the boot loader itself. See this line?

append="root=LABEL=/"

This does the same thing, only differently. The append=STRING directive adds commands to the kernel command line, which can influence the way the kernel works. The root=LABEL=/ specification tels the kernel to mount the filesystem with the label "/", which is your root partition. Since you use LABEL mounting, you pass the label to the kernel via the command line and it mounts your root filesystem.

LILO sucks anyway; use GRUB.

Old 12-03-03, 09:19 AM   #67
Desorien

I`ve been told otherwise that LILO rules , GRUB sucks Thank you and I`ll try it soon enough
Desorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 01:05 PM   #68
LBJM

[quote]Originally posted by Sir_Brizz

I heard rumors that having over 1gb of ram ruins it sometimes? I tried removing ram, and same problem.

I can't believe that no one else has seen this before, someone must have solved it? This is the same problem I was having in RH9, which was why I moved to SuSE in the first place. I had the video drivers working in 2.4.20-144 without my nf2 mcp net driver working, and once I got that driver working the video quit... :shake:
[/QUOTE

ram doesnt make any different just make sure you build your kernel with high mem support.. the nvidia drivers worked great it my dual socket a tyan tiger mpx with 2 Gigs. you need to custom compile your own kernel that would be best. chances the stock kernel are missing options that you need like high mem support.
LBJM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-03, 01:07 PM   #69
LBJM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOneKEA

LILO sucks anyway; use GRUB.
vi rules emacs
Old 12-03-03, 01:13 PM   #70
LBJM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOneKEA
Has anyone tried to e-mail someone at NVIDIA and explain these issues (not issues with forcedeth, issues with the 2.6 kernel and the NVIDIA drivers)?

mariuz: Great! Be sure to tell the driver authors.
Christian Zander works for nvidia the guy that runs http://www.minion.de/ the reason nvidia hasn't changed the drivers for 2.6 is because to them its still deleopment. they did the same with 2.3 before it 2.4 people ad to use patches. thats one thing I like that the ati drivers do they support the 2.6 tests.
Old 12-03-03, 01:33 PM   #71
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Can you blame them? According to counter.li.org approximately 85% of all registered machines (approx. 150000, IIRC) run 2.4 kernels. With that kind of demographic, what's the point in wasting time trying to port your driver to 2.6 when 2.4 is still the norm?

Old 12-04-03, 01:21 AM   #72
LBJM

linux right now for companies is an added cost to develop for. where in most cases their programmers were windows only. their either got unix programmers or programmers that used unix in college and they applied those skills to Linux. ATI is gaining big parts of the windows market from nvidia with the nv3x disasters. however they did start making good motherboards. the last update for those motherboard drivers for linux was in june, so their just waiting for 2.6 to be released to cut costs. so they dont have to support 2.4 and then 2.6 right away when they can just jump to 2.6. ATI is doing the samething with their AMD chipsets but only they're just waiting for PCI express, so they wont have to support AGP with their motherboards.