Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-01-03, 09:45 AM   #1
Cholera

Default Suse 8.2 4496 driver, wokrs good, but the other consoles are gone...

Hi!
Yesterday I installed the new nvidia driver, and it is working great!
The only problem is, that i cant use my other consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F1 to Crtl-Alt-F6)

on the first one, there is a very colorfull picture
see here:

The other consoles are just black, no coursor, nothing...

Is this a known problem, or is it something new?

I see the same colors when shutting down, no more messages, just these colors...

Any suggestions?
Old 11-01-03, 06:25 PM   #2
k3ant
GeForce 4 420 Go & FX5200

Are you using SuSE on a laptop by chance?

I'm using Red Hat Linux 9 on a Gateway M500 laptop and I don't have use of the consoles either. Unlike you and your colored screen, I have only blank screens with no cursors.

I have this Gateway for only a short time and my laptop experiance is just as long but I have been researching them and have learned that laptops are a breed apart from anything else!

I wish you luck in your quest.
Old 11-02-03, 05:20 AM   #3
Cholera

Default no laptop :(

No, i am using a normal PC and a tft...
Old 11-02-03, 06:10 AM   #4
k3ant

Since I'm still using "old tech" - a CRT - with my desktop and have no problems with using the other consoles on it, I wonder if it has to do with systems using a TFT display instead of a CRT? While I don't know if all laptops use a TFT screen, I do know that this Gateway M500 DOES use one. Interesting...

Ciao!
Old 11-02-03, 07:55 PM   #5
sarefo

i have the exact same problem. i'm using a normal old monitor, and a tower. this occurs with suse 8.2 and a geforce 256. when i changed the geforce for a tnt2, the problem was gone.

i am also experiencing very strange stability problems since using this driver (kernel panic when accessing the cd burner, keyboard lag of half a second), but this is not necessarily related.

it would be very great if we could get to the bottom of this problem, because i need those consoles! :) very strange that nvidia did not manage to fix such a bug in over three months.

edit: i tried to disable glx and v4l, but it did not change anything. the kernel panic is not associated with the X server, as i experienced one right now when booting into runlevel 3.

Last edited by sarefo; 11-03-03 at 12:22 AM.
sarefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-03, 10:17 PM   #6
Kino

Unhappy Very similar problem

I run a Sony Vaio pcg nvr23 laptop with Suse 8.2 (updated Suse Kernel via VAST and new 4496 driver) and get a bright yellow screen when I try to change to tty from main X session.

Laptop has a GeForce 440 2 go w/32mb ram.

Guess I need to fall back to my old driver, but having installed a new patche kernel via VAST, am worried.

Think the "uninstall" option on the installer would work?

"Watch out Pa, he's Dollyin up behind you!" Cinema Ranch
Kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-03, 06:52 AM   #7
k3ant

I don't know for sure but I would bet it won't fix a damn thing!

My Gateway M500B is configured for dual boot - XP and Red Hat Linux 9 - with a third partition for 'testing'. This third partition holds the Fedora v-0.95 Linux distro and is the OS I'm using at the moment. I have NOT been able to install the 4496-pkg2 driver software at all on Fedora even though I have used the suggested export command before hand...

As a consequence, I am still using the default 'nv' module and I still cannot use the other consoles! When I try to go to one of them, all I get is something like 'white noise' displayed. It's not true white noise as I can see various characters very rapidly scrolling about, both vertically and diagonally, on some tries, and just vertically on other tries.

If this is 'normal' behaviour for the nVidia GeForce4 420 Go w/32MB-based video card and the default 'nv' module PLUS similar results with the nVidia written 'nvidia' module, could it then be said that the problem may be with the card's use in Linux, period?

I'm just making a huge guess here, Folks! There is no way I'm saying that this is the case...

The search for truth continues...
Old 11-04-03, 07:44 AM   #8
sarefo

i've been using various nvidia cards for years in linux, including a tnt2 and my current geforce256 (1,5 years), and never had this problem. it is most certainly because of the 4496 driver installed, at least in my case.

k3ant, your case could be different, as i don't see 'various characters very rapidly scrolling about', but:
nothing at all at tty2-n, or what looks like hugely increased characters (one character fills the whole monitor, but with lines only each two centimeters or so, and if you type you can see the cursor in the same way)
an image like cholera's screenshot on tty1, probably because tty1 has a different graphics mode in suse.
sarefo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-03, 08:42 AM   #9
k3ant

I too have been using nVidia based video cards with linux but only for about a year and half - my total experience with linux! I know it's not a long time but I'm making progress.

The cards I have used in my desktop are a TNT2 and now an FX5200 based card. On the desktop I have total use of all of the consoles. No problems at all, with either module. But on the laptop, a Gateway M500B and it's nVidia GeForce4 420 Go w/32MB, I have problems. And it doesn't matter which flavour of linux is used.

With the 'nv' module, I get the 'white noise' like display while with the 'nvidia' module I get just a blank - black - screen.

My premise is based on this combination - the GeForce4 420 Go w/32MB video card and linux. No other nVidia cards figure in on this. You see, I have a friend with a Dell that uses the GeForce4 4200 w/64MB video card and he has no problems with using the consoles!

All fo this is just a very interesting tangent, that's all...but is it true? I hope not...

Last edited by k3ant; 11-04-03 at 09:34 AM.
k3ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-03, 03:17 PM   #10
Kino

Question

Well, my card was working fine in Suse 8.2 with 3D acceleration and on all consoles functioning fine UNTIL I upgraded the Kernel (2.4.38 to 2.4.20-100 k_athalon). When I did that, of course it broke my installation of the Nvidia Card (3D), so I downloaded the newest Nvidia driver.

When I attempted to install that driver, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run, it refused to install, saying that there was (let me see if I can get this right) "no precompied kernel interface".

Upshot was, and was equally revealed in the readme file upon careful reading, that I would have to compile this myself, but that I needed the Kernel sources. After fumbling around for several hours, I finally figured out how to install the source and was able to compile the new interface via the instructions in the readme file.

Upon reboot, I enabled the 3D acceleration in SAX2 and then promptly ran TuxRacer to confirm proper operation. Everything seemed hunky-dorry until I tried to jump to a console ctl-alt-f2 and the screen flashes bright yellow and tears on the edge, eventually bleeding into an intense white. Looks very much like video feedback to me.

I hate to try uninstalling the latest driver and try to reinstall the older driver, because I will probably have to uninstall the Kernel Patch and I just don't have that much experience yet with Linux. Guess I should just reinstall from scratch, but that is getting old.

"Watch out Pa, he's Dollyin up behind you!" Cinema Ranch
Kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-03, 12:30 AM   #11
Cholera

Hi!
You dont have to uninstall the drivers manually, u can just install the older ones, they will uninstall the installed ones at first, before selfcompiling and installing.

I now went back to the old ones, too
Old 11-05-03, 02:16 AM   #12
xweber

After commenting out the

DisplaySize

line in my monitor section the problem is gone.

Alex
xweber is offline   Reply With Quote