Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-06-03, 12:00 PM   #25
xweber

please, if it not working in first step with commeting out

DisplaySize

in [Monitor ] Section

try to use Gnome as X Desktop and see if its working with that setting.

Alex
xweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-03, 08:57 AM   #26
k3ant
GeForce 4 420 Go & FX5200

OK Guys, SuSE 9.0 Personal report:

As reported above, the 4496-pkg2 drivers behaves the exact same way with this distro as well.

I just installed SuSE 9 Personal (2 times now) while being sure it worked before making any mods to it, i.e. adding the available nVidia drivers, etc., on the second installation. On the first installation I used the default SuSE nVidia patch which is found in the online update utility in YaST. This worked but the consoles were missing. For what it's worth, glxgears gave an average in the 1760 FPS range.

On the second installation of SuSE 9 Personal I decided to install the 4496-pkg2 version only to find out that the Personal version of SuSE 9 does NOT include the needed kernel-source package! Once I found where I could download it, I did so and proceeded to install it. Here I rebooted entering 'init 3' in grub. Once in the shell I was able to install the 4496-pkg2 drivers by following the messages displayed. After installation you must run sax2 to enable the 3D. Once this was done I entered the command 'init 5'. This took me to the login screen. It worked but as I said, the consoles are not usable... Glxgears results with this version were about the same. But ---

Next I rebooted again using 'init 3' to boot into shell, removed the 4496-pkg2 driver by using the 'nvidia-installer --uninstall' command. Once the 4496-pkg2 driver was removed I installed the 4363 version. Once I made sure the 3D was still enabled by using sax2, I used the 'init 5' command to get to the login screen. Once logged in I was able to use the console normally! Plus the glxgears results were 1823 FPS, for what it's worth.

DISCLAIMER:
I've used the 4496-pkg2 version with many different distros of linux with the same reults - no consoles. Remember, this is with a Gateway M500B laptop that uses the nVidia GeForce4 420 Go 32MB video board. On my friend's Dell 8600 that uses the GeForce4 4200 Go 64MB video card with Red Hat Linux 9 and the 4496-pkg2 driver version the consoles works just fine. It would appear that the problem is with the GeForce4 420 Go 32MB video board only. Your results may be entirely different when using the 4496-pkg2 driver version.

"Ain't Linux Fun?!?"
Old 11-10-03, 09:57 AM   #27
Kino

Quote:
Originally posted by k3ant
"Ain't Linux Fun?!?"
But what would we do with all that spare time otherwise? Have a normal life?

Many thanks for posting your results!

Frank

"Watch out Pa, he's Dollyin up behind you!" Cinema Ranch
Kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-03, 01:32 PM   #28
screetch

Send a message via ICQ to screetch

all graphics console related problem are somewhat linked with framebuffer (geneally rivafb framebuffer driver). It seems on SuSE, the fb driver is the rivafb one, and it's not that good to have both nvidia drivers and rivafb kernel driver loaded at the same time.

In the lilo.conf file, make sure you use the vesafb framebuffer driver by adding the following words at the end of your kernel option :

video=vesa

or disable completely the framebuffer with

vga=6

or

vga=ask

and choose a better number than 6 (my screen goes up to 10 i think) and then change vga=xx where xx is the max you can get.

smae un /boot/grub/menu.lst if you're using grub. Don't forget to run lilo to update your lilo.conf thinguy, but ifyou've got grub then nothing to do. If you don't know what you're using, check if it's beautiful at boot : if it's beautiful, then it's lilo
screetch is offline   Reply With Quote